KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to figure out a way to have emails sent out weekly that remind a friend of mine to turn in a work report... But I don't know how to set emails to be sent at a certain time! I'm only using Gmail right now but if anyone knows how to do it on any type of free email, whatever it'd take to set this up........

Thanks smile

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
You could use some basic scripting in an email client to do it, Outlook, Outlook Express, Apple Mail.App, Entourage, Thunderbird etc etc all have rules that could be hacked a bit to do it.

You can also use a basic script on your computer that will run at a set time - if the day is right and the email hasn't been sent that day it will send.

If you give us more info we might be able to help more - If it's just a basic email without much formatting in the body then you can set up a shortcut on your desktop that you click every week. What OS are you using? If it's OS X 10.3 or greater then you can use quicksilver and Gmail Notifier to do it.

Otherwise you could set up a cron task on a web server and get that to send the email.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
"Yeah. It's just that we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports *before* they go out now. So if you could just remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right " - Lumbergh

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
My computer isn't really stable enough (and also isn't always hooked into the net) so I don't want to run the task off of it.... I do know how to do it from thunderbird tho. Looking for a way to do it directly from a web based email...

Sounds as if you may have one, care to explain?

(I'm running Mandrake 10.0 community build btw... its been unsupported for over a year now, I'm just *lazy* I'll be getting something new and flashy running on fedora core 4 as soon as someone burns me some cds.... gotta love laptops and their problems....)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Well, if you did end up wanting to do it from your own system, you could quickly (and relatively painlessly) throw together a perl script.. actually, since I've never done it before, let me try it.. something like this :

Written by:

use NET::SMTP;

use strict;

# ===========================

# Add your info

# -----------------------------------------------

my $mailserver = 'mail.ISPexample.dom'; # add proper outbound mail server, as given by your ISP

my $from = 'exampleFrom@test.test'; # your email address here

my $to = 'exampleTo@test.test'; # the recipient's email address

my $subject = 'Test subject'; # this is what the martians look at

# the body of the message here, everything between the two EOM

my $msg = <

This is a test message.

Place the body of the email here, leaving the last line, EOM, intact.

EOM

# ===========================

# ignore the rest of this, just code crap

# -----------------------------------------------

my $smtp = Net::SMTP->new($mailserver,

Hello => 'mailsend',

Debug => 1,

);

$smtp->mail($from);

$smtp->to($to);

$smtp->data();

$smtp->datasend(

"From: $from\n" .

"To: $to\n" .

"Subject: $subject\n" .

"$msg"

);

$smtp->dataend();

$smtp->quit;

You'll need to add the shebang (teh #!/usr/bin/perl directive that you normally see on the first line of scripts), as well as the proper address info and the mail server domain name (the one given to you to plug into your email client, usually in the form of mail.isp.com). You may also need to obtain NET::SMTP from CPAN. (you can usually man or perldoc cpan for more info, or look it up on the net). I dunno if that'll be any help at all, but ahwell, it was a shot.

edit: Oh, and as was mentioned earlier by Sym_, you'd automate it as a cron job.
EDITED_BY: Suibom (1128427818)

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
You could just buy your friend a diary.....

Or script something on his/her computer to remind them....

Are computers/email really needed to sort out what sounds like a disorganized friend?!

I've found a host called MX Host (https://www.mxhost.net/) I have no idea how good they are, but it you sign up to it you will be able to set up a cron job to run Suibom's script though CGI or a PHP script. If you can't do it weekley then just add something that checks for the day and it it's Wed it'll send it.

I'll help you out witht the PHP script if need be, my Perl it's that good.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Written by: mtbeer

"Yeah. It's just that we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports *before* they go out now. So if you could just remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right " - Lumbergh

ubblol I love that film biggrin ubbrollsmile

Sorry for Hijacking the thread redface ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Sounds good. He's had diaries, and planners, and they've not worked. This isn't to sort him out, just to keep him from loosing his job whilst he sorts himself out... or at least while he still owes me money. Also, his computer constantly stops working, so having it on his computer here isn't a very good idea, and theoretically I shouldn't mess with his computer at work, altho I think I could ssh in and guess his password well enough to mess with it if i were desperate.

Anyway that sounds like a good idea, i'll look it mxhost over and if i need more help i'll be back..... smile

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah