MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Is there anyone who knows Gatwick airport pretty well?

This is my situation at the moment...
I land in Gatwick north terminal at 8.30am on Thursday. My flight to Calgary leaves from Gatwick south terminal, and check in ends at 9.25am.

I don't know if 55 minutes is long enough to get off the plane, collect my bag, get to the south terminal, and check in.
Does anyone know roughly how long it usually takes to collect checked luggage from an internal flight, and how long it takes to get from Gatwick north to south terminal.

Does 55 minutes seem like a reasonable amount of time, or am I crazy for thinking this. I've had my friends say I should be fine, and my parents say there's no chance I'm going to make it.

Oh, and if I miss check in.... that's it, my flight's gone, no refunds. I have to buy a whole new ticket to fly.

Any thoughts? confused

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Could you try ringing the airline you are flying with on the second flight and see what they say?
If they know you are definatly coming, would they delay the flight by 5 mins do you tink?
Its always worth asking anyway I think...

smile
I love your Location btw. ubblol

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I tried calling them this morning. The woman said that if I missed check in then I wouldn't be allowed on the flight. She also said that their policy isn't to put people on the next flight- I would have to buy a new ticket for a new flight.
frown

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Tell them that you insist they change their policy for you as you are the queen of England.
Then get them beheaded for treason.
You will of course actually need to become the queen first for this to work.

and you only have a few days left.
Need any help? wink

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Yup, that's the UCOF answer I was expecting. :P

Gonna make some more phone calls tomorrow. Wow, this is becoming such a stressfull trip!

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
They should know that you have a flight transfer already and will therefore automatically change your bags over for you. So your only worries should be getting off the plane and walking round to the other plane whithout finding your bags etc. Best contact the airlines concerned.

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Because it's 2 different airlines (BA for Newcastle to Gatwick, and Thomas Cook for Gatwick to Calgary), they've told me I have to collect my luggage in Gatwick, and recheck it.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
There's information here about connections at Gatwick airport.

It says it there is a train every 3 minutes that takes 2 minutes to get you to the other terminal. But unhelpfully suggests that you contact your airline for minimum transfer times.

I passed through there on Saturday and got very confused by the rubbish signposting. They then failed to transfer my bag to the next plane so maybe you'll be better off doing it yourself smile

It sounds to me that 55 minutes is cutting it fine to get you bags and still be in time for check in.
Good luck and safe journey hug

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Thanks Molly. hug

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Yeah 55min is a "little" short..

The inter-terminal shuttle takes more like 5min (they like to lie on the webpage)

Plus they are a little arsey about check in,

But i reckon it could be done.
Depending on what gates you need to go to, the annoying thing about Gatwick, is that some of the gates are a good 10-20min walk from the terminal.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Yay!
I made it! biggrin

It's amazing how people will move out of your way when you're sprinting full pelt through the airport with a trolley!

My plane was late getting into Gatwick, but I made it to check in in 15 minutes. biggrin

It's good to be back in Calgary.
Thanks for all the help everyone. hug

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
hug

Yay, well done you!