Forums > Social Chat > This time tomorrow I will be...

Login/Join to Participate

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
on a plane to Ireland for a weeks holiday!

Hurrah!!!

Have a good week everyone and see some of you folks at Spitafields in a couple of weeks time.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
Horray for you! Have a lovely time, I have never been to Ireland, but would love to go. My best mate is coming down to stay with me this weekend, so there will be muchous love and hugging for all!

love love

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Cool for you. I've been to Nth Ireland before (very nice ), and went to Dublin for a day (very wet that day )

This time tomorrow I will be getting ready to go on a Buck's night that I am organising.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
Cool I hope you have a well good time just one thing u CANNOT FORGET ............. Bring ur fire toys ok, like u didn't think of that already just showing I care

Luv F_S
xXx

Non-Https Image Link

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Oh wow - I know where Ireland is as well......

Errrrm, OK never mind

Hey hon, great to see you at Spitz on Tuesday, hope u come back soon

This time tomorrow I'll be catching the 8:15 home from comedown central -

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Ash Blackstarmember
177 posts

Posted:
That is so cool. I have always wanted to go to ireland, and I am so envious.

This time tommorow I will be getting off work, thankful for another day of tips

and

Ash Blackstar

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, But Whips and Chains excite me"
"Only way to deal with Drama, heavy weaponry and a strong does of grow the Hell up"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage - Mythbusters

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Well arrived back from Ireland on Saturday and it was tough

I have found a place that is more unfriendly than London?

My hometown - Mullingar. When you live there I suppose you do not notice it so much but coming back from London you can’t help but be disappointed that people are not friendly and welcoming.

In shops assistants managed transactions without once saying a word
For instance in Dunnes Stores Mullingar, I walked up to the checkout, smiled..
“Hello”
Item is run through.
Assistant points to the till
Kat “Here you are”
Kat hands over €10 for the exact amount, is given item and receipt
Kat “Thank you very much” waits..silence
Walks off

Now this is not the case in all stores, but in general I found that people were extremely ignorant. I went to a cooking demonstration and wine tasting with my sister. We were almost mowed down by all the ladies (aka silly old biddies) as they scrambled to buy their raffle tickets by the bar!!

Another complaint - expensive! The greed of the Irish knows no bounds. Went viewing houses with my friend Pauline in Dublin. You can buy a house in London for the same price. There is nothing to do in Ireland unless you have money to spend. The celtic tiger and the growth of the economy does not seem to have helped the economy much. Talk about a flawed system. Refugees who poured into the country are turfed out for expressing a desire to work and make a life in Ireland. God knows they don’t want that sort in the country at all!! Meanwhile those who have no intention of working a day in their lives are given houses and free cars on top of allowances?? Ex council houses are guiding at over €200,000 – 5 times the value of the house 5 years ago. There are new houses everywhere!! Areas that were countryside 3 years ago are suburbs now! And two drinks in Café en Seine in Dublin cost €10 (minus a few cent change).

The greed does not just apply to the cost of things. Irish people now look more like Americans size wise. (no offence meant to all you active poi Americans) And why – greed and poor diets I would imagine. I like junk food as much as the next person but if I become obese I will have no-one to blame but my own gluttony and laziness. Then there is the other extreme with many people suffering from eating related disorders.

One last disappointment. I could not buy Kerosene in Galway?? I went into 2 filling stations and the second place told me that you can’t buy kero or paraffin retail???? How bizarre! My guess is they stopped selling it because of all the young ones in the area buying it to burn out cars or get high!

However despite the disappointments there was lots of great stuff.

It was fab to be back in Galway, my spiritual home. Walking around on a Monday night there was such a great atmosphere, and no the warm fuzzy feeling was not just my beer coat. Galway still rocks!

The beer really is better. Had some great Guinness – whatever faults my hometown has the beer is delish!

Stars & Beautiful night skies: So blissful looking up at the clear dark night carpeted with stars.

Got to see my family and friends which was the main reason to holiday in my home country.

Don’t want to out people off cause Ireland is still a great place to visit. The craic is indeed mighty and I recommend you visit there at least once in your life!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Awww Kat, don't lose the faith. Café en Seine is probably one of the most snobbiest places in Dublin and I said the same thing when I was last there.

Ireland still has tons to offer but your right about greed and stuff, there's loads of good people and reasonable prices you just gotta be round a while to get your bearings. Café en Seine is probably one of the most snobbiest places in Dublin and I said the same thing when I was last there.

Not sure if your still around but I buy parafin in hardware stores no prob here in Dublin.

Hope things get better anywho...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Hey Deepsoulsheep. Cafe en Seine was expensive but the barman that served us was a nice chappy! Unlike the sourfaced yolks in Mullingar..

I can buy kero in Mullingar still I think. It cost me £0.90 for a 2 litre milk cartonful last Christmas. So I was really surprised that I could not get it in Galway. Ah well, not to worry!

Will be back in Dublin December 28th. Whether I will have time to play with my poi I don't know, but if you are around we will have to play!

I was happy to see around Dublin were the can / bottle recycling bins. There is a good recycling scheme in Galway too! Nice to see Eire thinking green as well as been famed for it!

- W B Yeats