jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
a friend of mine, who is incredible with a pair of nunchucks as well as a staff, brought to my attention today of the possibility of a live fight scene with fire.... in a performance sense. such as poi versus a staff. not choreographed, but definately not something you would do drunk. but it would take partner work to a whole new level. like doing a wrap with the poi around the staff to change direction. jumping over a low sweep with a staff then retaliating to make the staffer dodge a couple shots... it could be cool. what do you think?

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I think I've seen this in videos somewhere.

Have a browse through the video forum and the gallery. It may bring up something smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I think it would be quite difficult not choreographed.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
suprisingly its not actually that hard if you're used to performing with someone but you have to maintain constant focus and trust the other person implicitly.

it also helps if you have a rough idea of what your going to do first,so rather than properly choreograph it perhaps work out a rough sequence of moves??

also make sure you never do any advancing move on the other person unless they can see it coming,as they could turn around at just the wrong moment.

a nice way to practise is to have friendly sparring first,ie;telling the person exactly what you plan to do just before you do it.

but yeah,lots of people have done it before so check out vids section!
xx

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
If you just want a fight with fire, fireswords usually are very impressive for the audience...

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

mykrmeburning from inside
165 posts

Posted:
*thinking of Lau gar kwan doy dar with fire staffs instead of normal ones...*

that's YOUR opinion...

from fire we´re born, to fire we return...

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
I'll post some vids as soon as we get them sorted and edited!

We've got some stuff going combining the rope dart, staff and sword.

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the choreographed fight routines that i've seen are some of the best firespinning routines i've seen full stop.

in my experience, improvised fights always look more fun for the performers than they do for the audience.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
That's because it IS more fun for us Cole... come on! biggrin

For performance purposes, you aren't going to beat correographed stuff in terms of audience appeal, but it really doesn't take a whole lot to correograph a fight scene if you both have practice fighting each other. For instance, just going over some basic block / attack combos that you can pull off in a row would be sufficient I think. Then you would just have to be able to recognize the beginning of a combo and kick in the right correographed response sequence.

But just going at it is funner because its actually a game then. Who can hit who first (we may be a bit masochistic in our fire play here biggrin ).

Poi vs. staff and poi vs. poi can be fun (something I've been wanting to try is learning to block by air wrapping your opponent...) staff vs. staff, of course, rope dart vs. staff can be quite fun too.

And firewords have other uses (think fire baseball!). People won't spar with me anymore though with the fire swords... I tend to hit hands... which reminds me, practice not hitting each other in the hand. smile

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Oh. And 'chucks hurt really bad...