TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
is it better to be the eldest, the middle, the youngest or an only child? I'm the middle child and i find that i'm the bloody peacekeeper, the negotiator, the one everyone likes lol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
being the middle child your seen as impatial, the eldest is usualy the pathfinder and the younger siblings learn from the eldests mistakes (usualy). the youngest can use their position as the baby of the family to their advantage (sometimes).....dose that make any sence???

i've been awake for some conciderable time so that may just be random

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
yes it makes sense but in my family its more like
eldest - rebel
middle - literally stuck in the middle
youngest - still has growing up to do

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
Im second eldest (acting eldest since my brother moved out)
Im the one that has to be resposible and look after my 3 younger brothers.
I also get all the blame if were left alone and something gets broken or spilled. bloody brothers!!

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I have one younger sister. Lucy
She has always been told by mum 'learn from her (my) mistakes.
Lulu is the one that wants to be the doctor, never does anything wrong. I on the other hand like to faff around with paint and clay at college, not really sure what I want to do, and always the one in trouble.

Im the sort of person in the family whom they look at and think 'Christ what is she going to do next' ubblol

I think it all depends on the state of the relationships between family members as to whether its better to be youngest, middle or oldest..

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i only have 1 older brother.....since my dad died he's sort of been the head of the family, i rebelled, got in trouble with the law, got into doing naughty substances etc........

thank god for poi!!!!

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Having only an older sister, that meant that she had total control over me...basically was ordered to do the chores etc that my parents told her to do...
being the youngest in the entire family (inc. cousins etc in your gen) REALLY sucks, especially cos the rest have all graduated to be successful professionals including doctors, accountants and managers and i'm the only one left in education...uni...thank god, at least i got there, now they can't complain about me being a failure or something...
well, i can still drop out. that'll f*** them off real good biggrin

It's better to burn out than to fade away

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
and only children are stereotypically arrogant, over indulged and spoilt.

i'm not perfect but i don't think i'm that much of an extreme.

i think it depends on the family one is in.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I find that that stereotype is true. I, of course, reserve judgement until I've spoken to them. I'm the young child, but I only have one sister, and she's only 14 months older than me. I'm the "Nice" one, and she's the "Brainy" one. That's about it really.

(Note: Do not read "Stupid" and "Nasty" into the statement above respectively, cos we're neither)

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i'm the youngest and although it had its good points when i was little like being spoilt etc.. i also got beaten up by my 2 older brothers! My eldest brother is the git of the family, its all about him. He thinks he's THE SUN and the rest of the universe revolves around him. Ben, my middle bro is awesome, and everyone likes him, like Tink said. But everyone always sees me as the baby. I'm 24!! And i still get treated as i'm a little kid. ARGH!!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...the age-gap between my sister and i is 8 years, so there was never any conflict...it was all one-sided in my sister's favour. Luckily she matured quickly enough and stopped ordering me around and we have a pretty cool relationship. apart from the fact that she lives like over 100miles from me biggrin

I guess because the age-gap was that big, my parents didn't treat us that differently because it was a 'start all over again' situation, so neither one of us were favoured etc because we were at such different stages of our lives.

It's better to burn out than to fade away

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I've found that parents freak out over their first kid.

Kids after that, they tend to know what they're doing. They handle the baby more roughly because they know they won't hurt it. They don't freak out over every little sniffoo or cough or fever.

And yet I can't say that I've noticed any particular pattern with sibling order.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
im the youngest, dont get me started, issues that would keep a shrink occupied and financially stable for about 2 years

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
for me personally i think ive had the benefit of being in different positions of siblings, i was the youngest most of the time i was growing up, my sister was horrible and my brothers always chased me around the house. my biggest sister was great but she was born 6 years before the next oldest. now i have a younger brother, and because the rest of us have (mostly) grown up, he gets looked after and treated by us all.
but being the youngest i think it didnt help with the whole growing and and learning bit, i was not that good and did some pretty silly stuff. i only have the secound biggest sister living near me now, which is good cause we get on better but i still get treated like a kid sometimes.

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I'm an only- and in my case i'm glad i was because my family could not possibly have afforded another child. (Couldn't really afford me much of the time- my parents both graduated from university since i've been alive, and realistically each have been in school more than a third of the time i've been alive so far.... and i've been away from home for a bit now.)
But watching my friends... I'd say that there isn't a strong pattern in sibling order. I"ve known the youngest to be generally anything but stereotyphical "youngest" same with middle, but it does seem oldest children get both babied more and wind up in charge of their siblings more... which does only make sense.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I'm the youngest, though my elder brother is mentally retarded (literally, not as a derisive statement).

It makes it hard having to act the elder even though he's got five years on me; it kind of feels that all the hopes and asperations my parents had for him get dumped on me, with the added pressure of feeling that it doesn't matter how many degrees I got, or the successes I've had with my life, nothing rates as highly to them as the day he learned to tie his own shoelaces.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'm an only child and always found my mum blamed me for stuff my bloomin dad did....being as there is no-one else to take blame for my "ahem" little misdeeds I had to think them through carefully to see if I could get away with them...... In retrospect I think I should have thought "why am I doing this" but hey.... they were all bloody good fun....unfortunately most of them ended in a trip to whichever hospital was closest ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'm the youngest (of 2) and very happy with it smile

But here's for you, Tinkles, Lisa Simpson's birthday song (I know it's not your birthday but it's the only middle child song I know!)

``Happy birthday to me, Happy birthday to me, Happy birthday
overlooked middle child, Happy birthday to me.''

tongue

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I have two older brothers. 21 and 20. Chris (20) was born with Cerebral Palsy so it would have been hard for them when we were all growing up. I was kind of always the left out little girl when I was kid. Hehe. And my other brother Andrew is a 4th year medical student

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.