gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
OK, I am going to india in january for 7 months - 1 year (first time) .

Am really excited and nervous . Few questions in general about travel

if anyone has done traveling (i expect lots have)and can give advise

that would be great . thank you
quote:
Want to take my fire equipment, will customs have something to say about that , do I have to carry them in any special containers or anything?Should I take malaria tablets, sounds silly but a year of taking that crap is going to poison my liver .Foriegn fuel, any thoughts ?Any other advise / tips / help please feel free to post

cheers guys
[garbo]

be excellent to each other: safe:

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Where abouts are you going love.. the regions in India differ greatly - ie plains down south.. mountainy things further up north..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
- I brought my fire poi into India no problem. Staff might be a problem, but if its 3 piece should be ok.

- Do take medicine with you. I had tetanus, Japanese encepalitis, Hepatitus shots before I left. (takes some time between shots so organise asap)

I really would recommend taking Malaria medicine. I took doxycycline on my travels and there were no side effects.

Avoid taking Mefloquine which is meant to have some pretty scary side effects.

Think there was a thread on this. Do a search.

TIPS
- Visit McLeod Ganj in Dharmsala - home of Dalai Lama. Really lovely there, register with local authorities as Dalai Lama might be having an audience / teachings with public. Oh and look for the Bob Marley posters if you are looking for something stronger than cheap whiskey!

- When you arrive in Delhi, get a bus rather than a taxi if you have booked a hotel. They are desperate the way they will not bring you where you want to go. For peace of mind, you can pay that little bit more the first night you arrive, or book into a hotel where someone meets you at the airport.

- Oh and if you see Garam ciggies - please send me home a packet!! I love them (clove tobacco) but can't find them in UK There are a few stores around Connaught Place that sell them.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts

Posted:
Think I am spending most time in the south. Am flying into channai (madras)

and spending a few weeks there then haeding south to some small village

to do some volluntary work . Will then go travelling. want to go to

pondacherry (home of the chillum ) and will do all the large

cities in the north etc . thats the plan anyway .

safe :

[garbo]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kat:
Avoid taking Mefloquine which is meant to have some pretty scary side effects.
no sh*t.

i went to kenya and was on a course of mefloquine.
i got completely messed up sleep patterns, lingering/waking dreams (very scary), mood swings and sickness.
its a crap drug.

i guess on the upside, i don't have maleria...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
You don't want Larium either - that sends people loopy..

Urgh I'm gonna have to take Mefloquine when I go to Zim - it's the only one that has been recommened - Does anyone know of any others that are good for the Kariba Valley?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
larium is exactly what i was on.

it is a trade name for mefloquine hydrochloride.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Garbo, about the malaria meds, the meds may be not so great for your liver, but malaria is a lot WORSE for your liver.

Be sure you're up on your vaccines. Make sure you take plenty of anti-diarrheal medicine (Pepto-Bismol is my favorite because it fixes whatever problem you have, even though you have to take a lot of it).

Don't eat anything that hasn't been cooked very well. Don't eat shellfish. Don't eat raw vegetables. Don't drink milk. And CERTAINLY don't drink the water. Buy bottled and make sure that the seal on the bottle isn't broken. Your safest bet is to buy carbonated water if you can palate the flavor (I can't) because then you are sure it isn't just bottled tap water. If worse comes to worse, boil the tap water at a rolling boil for five minutes and then cool it before using it to drink. And be careful! Keep your mouth clamped shut in the shower and don't use tap water to rinse your toothbrush! I have had "Montezuma's Revenge" and it is not a fun time. You may wish to ask your doctor about taking a course of Cipro with you (and carefully follow his directions on how to take it) in case you get dysentery. I don't mean to scare you, but India is an infectious disease haven, and we First-Worlders' aren't used to carrying that sort of disease burden.

Taking your equipment shouldn't be a problem. Make sure to leave it out in the sun (or in a warm place in your house, like in front of a heater vent) to evaporate as much fuel off it as possible. Just put it in your checked baggage and it shouldn't be an issue. I suggest wrapping it in a plastic bag, too.

You'll certainly be able to get fuel of some sort in India.

The last tip I have is to just try to be unassuming, but saavy. Stand up for your rights (i.e. if a merchant says that he can't give you change, you don't leave until you get your change). Try not to look like a tourist. Rather than walk around with a fanny pack and a camera, look at how the Indians carry their stuff around and then try to emulate that somewhat for carrying your gear. Also, learn a few words of the local language (Hindi, usually) and try to greet people for at least a few words in Hindi. Even if you have to switch to English after that, they will appreciate the respect that you show them by greeting them in their own language in their own country. Finally, just be polite, flexible, and relaxed. The Indians have a very different sense of how the world is supposed to work than we Westerners do.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGinny:
fanny pack [/QB]
Sorry I'm English... but thats a rudie

It's funny how a little streach of water changes the meaning of words..

(sorry I know this is off topic - but my 4 year old mind is giggling)

[ 16. November 2002, 03:43: Message edited by: MisStix ]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i don't see the humour myself

fancy a fag mike...?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
would you like to bum a fag - I got plenty here you can have!

(sorry)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
What? A flaming fag? (Ok, I'm going to Hell for saying that...) (Just to clarify, I love all the Queer peoples of the Earth...though not that way... )

Let me get this straight, just so we're all crystal clear:

UK "fag" = "cigarette"
US "fag" = derogatory term for "homosexual."
UK "fanny" = derogatory term for "homosexual."
US "fanny" = butt

Do I have this right?

[ 16. November 2002, 06:00: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
erm... a fanny is something else entirely
less derogatory and more of a euphamism.

boys have a penis, girls have a vagina.

fanny = vagina.

didn't think this would ever come up on HoP

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
just to add my family is canadian and my mom used to ensure everyone on my block heard her yell at me "if you're not in by five, i'll slap you'r fanny!" I think all the other parents though she was a paedie!!

oh the embarressment, when i explained to her that it meant a lady's front bum she didnt mind, only shouted louder!

grrr

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts

Posted:
Bloody hell guys ,

i go away for five minutes and look what happens

[garbo]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Welcome to HOP, where half the population has Attention Deficit Disorder and the other half just hasn't been diagnosed yet!

-Mike

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
Take PLASTERS and TCP type stuff,
I lived in spain for a year and got a cut on my knee,
A bacteria got in through the cut and caused an abscess that took up two thirds of my head space and caused fitting 'n' blackout attacks.
The bacteria was almost unknown to the medical world, there was no reason i survived it. It could have been avoided if i had cleaned the cut properly. So be warned. I had to have brain surgery while un-drugged and conscious, Not nice.
Theres only a few recorded cases of it in the world, I'm the only recorded surviver of it
(I say this to everyone who goes traveling).

Please, don't dismiss the little things, the vaccines will stop you getting the big berthers' of diseases, But they still leave you open for the little ones - and trust me "They will get you"

That would be my advice, remember it, it could save your life.
LOL
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.

[ 21. November 2002, 03:20: Message edited by: Trippy Hippy ]

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Hello there Garbo!

Nice to hear that you are going to see the world! Sounds exiting!

All I can say is be safe and be careful! You will get a knack of fitting in and it is important that you dont always look like a lost tourist, even if thats exactly what you are... I have found that makes you a target in a way although I dont know what India is like... I have heard that you will be able to get by with english quite easily and that most people there are pretty friendly when approached...

I wish you all the best in your travels... I am sorry I am not able to provide more help! Other HOPers obviously know what they are talking about so give em a listen!

Much love and hugs,
Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGinny:
Welcome to HOP, where half the population has Attention Deficit Disorder and the other half just hasn't been diagnosed yet!
What about us??!!?!?!?!
I might have Attention Defictit Hyperactivity Disorder! Gimme Ritalin... Gimme gimme!!!!

Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

tau neutrinoPLATINUM Member
35 posts

Posted:
very cool garbo...

i go to india alot.... I am indian! but i live in singapore... mmm. i have a house in MAdras( chennai). kerosene is plentiful

i can say i know india a wee bit well.. let me know if you will be checking email in india, (i dont think that will be a problem in most places.. unless you go to a real real small village... maybe if i come down we can spin together! heh that will be a trip!

ask away any questions that you might have...

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
NAMASTE !!!

WOW I am sooo excited for you, Garbo WAY TO GO !! :: doing a little happy dance::

I will be in India between early august and mid november next year, so will Shibaki and maybe other spinners too. We d LOVE to meet up with you so pelase keep in touch...

LARIAM SUCKS ... please everyone be carefull I second Coleman on that one YUK !!!

Anyway... hoping to read your feedback and stories and all that ... I will be doing volunteering work but in Ladakh and then working my way down to Radjahstan and around Pune... sure hop we can meet, drink Chai and play together, beautiful soul

Shine on
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Urban_Culturemember
89 posts

Posted:
Any of the HOP'ers bin to a goa party? i really want to get out there but im gona av to wait 4 a few years. i know p-pol that have bin to the parties some years ago, but apaarently the scene is in a bit of a crisis?? Tripin on a beach in india waht more could you ask for??
si

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts

Posted:
Just got a few jabs and the travel nurse brought up the topic of:

quote:
RABBIES
What does everyone think. Is it worth spending

quote:
£95
when i say that of cource it is cause it might ave your life

what i'm trying to establish is whether it is likely to be needed.

Apparently will give you 24 hours extra to find medical help .

Anyone had it , the jab i mean.

[garbo]

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
Couple of other tips...

Make two sets of color copies of:
Your passport, your drivers license, any prescriptions you have (whether ongoing or only for trip) and info on any special medical needs, any credit/checking cards you take and the customer service phone #'s, your at-home contact info, and anything that seems important. Leave one packet at home with your at-home contact, take the other with you. Keep all originals in the money belt you will want to get (in a plastic bag inside the belt, so they don't get sweat-soaked), and leave the copied packet at wherever you're staying. If you are at a hotel/whatever that has a safe, have them kept in the safe. Hopefully, you'll never need it, but makes a huge difference if you do.

It is good to have a card with frequently used words/phrases/questions listed out. On one side list them phonetically, so you'll know how to say it, on the other list them in correct language so you can just point to a sentence if you need to. Some useful words/phrases to learn in the local language: please, thank you (if i can only say one thing in the local language, this is it!), help, where is, how do I say (and then you can point at whatever), where is the bathroom, where is the train station, how much does that cost, and so on and so on...

When you start out to walk around in a new city, look for the tallest stucture you can see. Note where it is and you can use it for a visual anchor if you get your directions mixed.

You don't have to dress just like the locals, but if you're female it's a really good idea to see if certain styles are considered inappropriate. In some parts of the world, a woman in the tiniest miniskirt will still get more respect than a woman in any kind of pants. In some places bare arms aren't okay, etc. You don't have to live by all of their rules, but going with the local guidelines on dress can make things much smoother for you.

I don't think that Rick Steves has done anything on India, but his Europe Through The Back Door books have a ton of good info on travel in general, i strongly recommend paging through them for general info...

Oh and don't bug the cows...

I'm very excited for you. India is a beautiful country with a remarkable history and culture. I'm sure you will have an incredible trip. May you have only happy surprises!

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!