Page: 1...2526272829...38
87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Total posts: 1502
Posted:Sundays, Selly Park, Bout 6ish for weavesmiley and juggle and hug and biggrin
EDITED_BY: 87wt2gxq7 (1176738143)

Delete Topic

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Posted:well the forecast is for light rain, not snow, tomorrow.

I might make it to friendly fire, not sure yet...

Delete

skunkanunka
skunkanunka

Total posts: 11
Posted:Whoop whoop!

I'm bailing out on my lecture (bad habbits happening again!! UGH!) and will be heading over with the monkey in a bitski!

See you guys later! biggrin

Delete

daisylou
daisylou

la di da di da
Total posts: 147
Posted: Written by: ghanima

VALEFEST 2007 will be on June 12th by the way,.

thanks for the date! any idea what time ish it starts?

just a crazee daisy living in a crazy world

Delete

ghanima
that 'airy sod from down there//../
Total posts: 181
Posted:hmm, difficult to say at present...early eve/late avo me guess.

Delete

daisylou
daisylou

la di da di da
Posted:was speaking to harry about it yesterday. gonna do my best to make it up.

Delete

ghanima
Posted:cool cool, the more the merrier an all that malark

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Posted:grr! pesky exams spoiling all my potential fun!

or potentially spoiling all my fun.

Either way: a bummer. angry

Delete

ghanima
Posted:you'll be there....

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Posted:I'll probably be there, but if I'm there I want to perform, and perform properly. With routines an ting, not the usual Purple Mermaid shambolic messing about with fire looking like we're just practicing (no 'fence to fellow Purple Mermaiders - I'm guilty of this myself but it's time to STOP, I say, and get a bit more professional).

Delete

ghanima
Posted:DAMN STRAIGHT we are better than this....for a small amount of extra effort and commitment we can do something worth remembering.....until the next time.

jon...check your pm

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Posted:Oli! Come back! All is forgiven!

Delete

Crazy_Clown
Crazy_Clown

Total posts: 102
Posted: Written by: 87wt2gxq7

I'll probably be there, but if I'm there I want to perform, and perform properly. With routines an ting, not the usual Purple Mermaid shambolic messing about with fire looking like we're just practicing (no 'fence to fellow Purple Mermaiders - I'm guilty of this myself but it's time to STOP, I say, and get a bit more professional).

Jon, remember that as a society we accept everyone no matter their skills, and some of our members are not particularly good and that 'shambolic messing about' is the best thing they can do and they are more than pproud of it and want to show it to the world... it is fine if you want to make a routine, i'll join you for sure, I want to try to get better at that kind of things now that i can do a fair amount of things. However, you can't expect a performance by a society of this kind not to have that 'shambolic messing about', particularly in the biggest fire event we have as a society. I would love to make that routinek, but I would leave it for events like drop beats not bombs, rumble in the jungle, friendly fire session, etc, were it's always just us performing. I don't want to be disrispectful, sorry if I am being so, it's not my intention, this is just a small reflection on your words. Remember, we all were beginners at some point...

|)><(|

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Posted:True, true...

Sorry to come across so harsh. What I meant wasn't supposed to be nasty to beginners (hey, compared to most people on HoP I consider myself a beginner). It was more about the staging and organisation of gigs.

By no means am I saying let's not have beginners and only have 'good' people spinning.

The 'shambolic messing about' referred to previous gigs, especially Valefest, where the fire show was basically everyone just practicing. There was no staging, no direction, no build-up... basically no show.

One specific thing was that everyone fuelled up at the same time, spun, then all finished their burn at the same time. About three times we were left with an empty stage for a couple of minutes while everyone fuelled up again, and the audience soon lost interest when there was nothing to watch, and fked off.

All I'm saying is that with a little bit of thought and organization, we could have everyone spin the same tricks but it come across as more of a show, rather than a practice session that happens to be in a place where everyone can see.

For example, perhaps start with beginners and get more experienced people as the show goes on. Perhaps do it prop by prop - staff spinners, then jugglers, then poi then diabolo or something. Perhaps mix it about, having beginners spin together but then when they finish their burn let the next slot showcase someone really talented, maybe with a choreographed routine. Perhaps build up to a finale. Perhaps have a compere. But most of all, I think it needs to be a bit more spaced out so that there's not any 'dead time', ie there's something going on for the audience to watch at all times, and also so that there's no point where it's too crowded to spin properly.

That way we could still have everyone of all levels spinning, but we could come across a lot slicker, a lot more professional and a lot more like we know what we're doing and we inspire more people to join the society.

... oh while I'm here, something I was quite impressed by last Valefest was right at the beginning when there were three staff spinners right at the front and they all did a synchronized burnoff before launching into their spins. That got a really good audience reaction - and it was the biggest reaction of the whole show.

So yeah, sorry if what I said was a little harsh. I should have clarified. Now, hopefully, I have! biggrin hug

Delete

Crazy_Clown
Crazy_Clown

Posted:All you said makes sense, but means a lot of work. We could organise something good, but we need people willing to organise it properly. I think the festival is one or two days after my final year presentation, which is quite important, so I don't know if ill be able to help a lot with it, but if we start planning something soonish we could just do it in circus soc, maybe have the drummers invited some time so that we know what's the music like... ollie do you think that's possible?

Sorry if I missunderstood you jon, I agree with you, with some preparation it can look a lot better, but also remember, it's the final show of a one day festival, which means most of us will be at least very drunk... lol
hopefully we can get something good together, we'll work on it

|)><(|

Delete

ghanima
Posted:yeah should be possible no problems there....yes drunk....drunk indeed...

Delete

YvAn
journeyman
Total posts: 92
Posted:all that you are saying is really interesting.....why not speak about that around a table....on sofas...chilling..... rolleyes

that's could be good to have all the point of view and discuss it.....

no?? hug biggrin

EDITED_BY: YvAn (1171549144)

poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi pong.......
smile

Delete

ghanima
Posted:i agree with the frenchman....some sense may come from across the water it seems...hehe

for anyone whos interested- tomorrow night in the underground at brum uni guild of students: "The Mad Hatter Sessions"

A selection of the finest oldschool hiphop, breaks, and funk.
Breakdancers and live graffiti.
3 entry.

might be good, who knows, think ill check it out....they want fire also..

hope everyone is smiling, its such a nice day today!! can almost taste the spring in the air....which in february is disconcerting- especially as all the dafodils are up early, but nice nonetheless.....ramble ramble....

boii

Delete

Crazy_Clown
Crazy_Clown

Posted:Ollie, im going tomorrow to that mad hatter session. i met the organisers in rumble in the jungle and offered them fire. ill take my poi and a bit of fuel, but not loads, i dont want to take a massive bag and i dont think ill be doing loads of fire since im going with one of manuel's housemates... wink

|)><(|

Delete

ghanima
Posted:nice one, yea see you there

Delete

Crazy_Clown
Crazy_Clown

Posted:what time r u going? r u taking fuel?

|)><(|

Delete

ghanima
Posted:yea ill bring some, i have a 4ltr container. Im gonna be with a friend also, so may not stay tooo long....

crack on

Delete

daisylou
daisylou

la di da di da
Posted:re: festivale

i dont think it needs too much choreography, just a little foreplanning

i.e. smaller groups of people who say we are going to go on together and stand vaguely in this space

then we will come off and that group of people will go on.

looks better than too many people all doing random stuff, makes it difficult to watch and appreciate.

that way beginners are equally as valid in the performance and are given same recognition

Delete

Crazy_Clown
Crazy_Clown

Posted:Ollie, it's a shame you didn't come back, it was a good night. not very busy though... the only bad thing, someone nicked one of my balls, which is quite lame since they won't be able to use it since they cant charge it... at least i have 2 left, so i can use them for poi... hopefully the third one will turn up in the guild's lost properties, bu im doubtful

|)><(|

Delete

asphyxia
asphyxia

stranger
Total posts: 13
Posted:Hey guys,

Are there still regular meets on a Monday? Was hoping I could come for a spin sometime. Thanks!

V.xx

Amor Vincit Omnia

Delete

87wt2gxq7
87wt2gxq7

veteran
Posted:Alright asphyxia!

Yup, monday circus meets are still happening (although I'm not sure whether they'll be on over UniBrum's half-term break. Crazy_Clown, could you advise please?).

5-7pm at the UniBrum Guild of Students. Webbysite here with directions.

weavesmiley biggrin

Delete

llanowar
llanowar

journeyman
Total posts: 95
Posted:I'm happy to know that there is a juggling association in Birmingham.
I'm a french poier and i will arrived the 12 march for 6 months.

biggrin

I'm llanowar and poi is my art

(et vive la France!)

Delete

daisylou
daisylou

la di da di da
Posted:birmingham is a nice city llanower and the university has a very active juggling club and plenty of spinners. check out www.purplemermaid.net

there are also some other french people in the juggling club

Delete

Eccles
Eccles

enthusiast
Total posts: 251
Posted:Yvan you will have a new friend!

Delete

YvAn
journeyman
Total posts: 92
Posted:Yeah yeah.......

the frog's community grown of gap.....we gonna kick your ass.....Ha hahAhAhaha (laugh who come directly from the hell*)

gniark gniark ubbloco

hum hum....so....See you soon biggrin

YvAn

poi poi poi poi poi poi poi poi pong.......
smile

Delete

Crazy_Clown
Crazy_Clown

Posted:Hey, anyone fancies a spin tonight in the park? Im going at about 6ish. im taking my drum, paraffin and some equipment, some spanish people will be coming too

|)><(|

Delete

Page: 1...2526272829...38