Forums > Social Chat > 'Firebreathing is perfectly safe'

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
this is what the head of the 'extreme sports' society at uni said to me the other night.

Now, we all know this is untrue and i tried to explain the dangers to this guy but he didnt listen and seemed genuinely annoyed by my refusal to firebreathe. I spun some fire for them and they were impressed which was cool but while i was dunking my monkey fists, one of the vice presidents of the society shoved a lit torch in the dunking pot. I kinda thought that putting an open flame near, let alone in, a dunking pot, no matter how combustible the fuel, was a bad idea. please correct me if im wrong.

They also said to the group 'who wants to firebreathe?' several people put their hand up and the safety briefing they gave was, tand i quote 'dont swallow it and dont breathe it in'. The first guy (the president of the society) to breathe did it towards the crowd, the wind was blowing that way but he didnt ask the crowd to move and didnt move to the side himself.

I was also talking to the main guy about the fire shows they put on. I asked about insurance but he didnt seem to know what i was talking about, they put on public fireshows but have no insurance, the university may have it but the main guy didnt seem to know anything about it.

Im considering quitting the society but it does things like street luge, sky diving, bungee jumping, and i really want to try a load of their activities but im worried that if they show such a disregard for safety towards firebreathing that they will towards everything else.

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Go complain to your Union officials, that cannot be right.

Willy - is bad for your health...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"I spun some fire for them and they were impressed which was cool but while i was dunking my monkey fists, one of the vice presidents of the society shoved a lit torch in the dunking pot. I kinda thought that putting an open flame near, let alone in, a dunking pot, no matter how combustible the fuel, was a bad idea. please correct me if im wrong."

smile

This question has come up a few times on HOP, and I still stick by my original answer;
You CAN extinguish your lit fire poi in your fuel (I have only done this with paraffin and NOT white gas or Colemans so I know it works). For that to happen, you need to quickly dunk the entire head under the surface of the paraffin, so that no oxygen can get to the flame on the wick, so that combustion cannot happen.
The reason we use paraffin in comparision to other possible fuels, is that is has a relativly high flashpoint (the temperature needed to cause the parafin to ignite). When you dunk your lit fire poi or staff in, the temperature of the flame is nowhere near hot enough to heat up the entire ammount of parafin to reach its flashpoint, and thus ignite.

Does tht make any sence?
hug

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

Written by: beth

They also said to the group 'who wants to firebreathe?' several people put their hand up and the safety briefing they gave was, tand i quote 'dont swallow it and dont breathe it in'. The first guy (the president of the society) to breathe did it towards the crowd, the wind was blowing that way but he didnt ask the crowd to move and didnt move to the side himself.

This is unnaceptable- teaching gullible freshers such a dangerous art as fire breathing whilst maintaining that there are no risks, is just not on.

Especially bearing in mind that said freshers may then turn into the kind of idiots who go to parties, get drunk, and then 'teach' other drunken students to fire breathe while also maintaining that it is completely safe.

I would strongly encourage you to put in a written complaint to the student union, enclose some relevent articles (print off Peles fire breathing accident account), mention insurance etc.

Keep a copy of the complaint and make sure the union know you're keeping a copy of it- insist that they respond to it,in writing, to you.

Most Unions will have no idea of the true risks of fire-breathing, and will not appreciate what will happen to them if someone gets hurt after being introduced to it by one of their societies, if that society is not properly insured.

You'll be doing the union a favour, and you'll especially be doing a favour to any freshers unfortunate to be exposed to this guys bullshit in the future.

He needs to be prevented from doing this, cos, if he isn't, someone is going to get badly hurt as a direct result.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Azrelle_member
39 posts

Posted:
let the Darwin effect take control

the stupid shall die

Anyone who actually thinks that firebreathing is perfectly safe actually deserves to come a cropper, imho

Live life the fun way

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Written by: Beth

Im considering quitting the society but it does things like street luge, sky diving, bungee jumping, and i really want to try a load of their activities but im worried that if they show such a disregard for safety towards Fire Breathing that they will towards everything else.

if they disregard the risks of fire breathing that much, surely there is another place around that you can do the skydiving, bungee jumping stuff at? They can't be the only ones.

Definately make a complaint to the union - that sort of behaviour is not on!

Are you up for it?
wink;)

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
i agree. its awful that people see fire breathing as such a simple thing. its scary the amount of times ive met pissed people at parties who claim they can fire breathe and that it is 'easy'.

Jake the Juggler

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"the stupid shall die"
NO! spank

They are NOT stupid.
We, due to this website, simply know just how dangerous fire breathing is.
I can honestly say I started fire breathing without properly knowing the risks or the techniques.
In other words, we are better educated and aware.

shrug

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Written by: UglyCowsOfFrance

This question has come up a few times on HOP, and I still stick by my original answer;
You CAN extinguish your lit fire poi in your fuel (I have only done this with paraffin and NOT white gas or Colemans so I know it works). For that to happen, you need to quickly dunk the entire head under the surface of the paraffin, so that no oxygen can get to the flame on the wick, so that combustion cannot happen.
The reason we use paraffin in comparision to other possible fuels, is that is has a relativly high flashpoint (the temperature needed to cause the parafin to ignite). When you dunk your lit fire poi or staff in, the temperature of the flame is nowhere near hot enough to heat up the entire ammount of parafin to reach its flashpoint, and thus ignite.

Does tht make any sence?
hug

It does make sense but the guys werent doing it to extinguish the flame, they were doing it to keep the flame burning. Every time the torches burned down, they dunk them, still lit, to keep them burning.

The reason i havent quit the society yet is that they do all the skydiving bungee jumping stuff for a hugely discounted price because they are a student oganisation.

I think i will make a complaint in writing, i was disgusted by their behaviour. Worst thing was the main guy knew about this site and had read Pele's article. I tried to explain to him that it wasnt a case of IF someone has an accident, it was a case of WHEN. his response to this was 'it hasnt happened in fifteen years of this society so i dont think itll happen now.'

*sigh*

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
i can understand the discounted price reason for staying with them - good luck in making them realise how dangerous it is

side note: after reading Pele's article myself I can'ty believe the main guy disregarded that eek

Are you up for it?
wink;)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
There comes a point when Darwin must take them under his rather chaotic wing.

If they won't read, won't learn, and are too censored arrogant to admit they might just possibly not know everything about everything, then maybe...just maybe...they will have to learn the hard way.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Azrelle_member
39 posts

Posted:
ummm.... do you want the guys who say firebreathing is perfectly safe to help you on with your sky-dive harness?

Live life the fun way

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

There comes a point when Darwin must take them under his rather chaotic wing.

If they won't read, won't learn, and are too censored arrogant to admit they might just possibly not know everything about everything, then maybe...just maybe...they will have to learn the hard way.

True- if they're unwilling to face the facts then they may well have to learn the hard way.

Unfortunatly, they're currently in a position of trust where they're encouraging young people to engage in risky behaviour, and misrepresenting it as safe.

Written by: JtJ

i agree. its awful that people see fire breathing as such a simple thing. its scary the amount of times ive met pissed people at parties who claim they can fire breathe and that it is 'easy'.

It is scary- this is getting way too common.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Written by:

True- if they're unwilling to face the facts then they may well have to learn the hard way.

Unfortunatly, they're currently in a position of trust where they're encouraging young people to engage in risky behaviour, and misrepresenting it as safe.

Quite right, but, I must admit, we are also unwilling to face the fact that they believe it is safe.

Once you understand that someone believes something you don't believe, and take that approach, there are a lot more options available.

You cannot change someone else mind easily (Although a Wallace and Gromit brain machine would be handy). If you could, maybe they could change your mind into thinking it was safe... eek

What is needed here is to be wary of the evangelical "You are going to hell!" street corner preaching. It's just not effective, and it fools people into thinking they have done all they can.

The first thing is to show these people you are experienced iny our art, and have a lot of knowledge about other areas of fire spinning. In short, you need to earn their respect before you can begin to gently challenge their 15 year-old belief.

Does that make sense? I know the idea of them continuing to do what they are doing is abhorrent, but by being 'evangelical', the chance of it changing becomes almost nil.

So the choice is the possibility of being able to change this view in the future, versus having no effect whatsoever... wink

While you are gaining their trust, simply state that you do not firebreath. Don't be pushy, just show them that you follow your belief, and how you use it protect yourself rather than challenging theirs headon...

Very soon, some of them will ask you why you don't. This is the key moments for these individuals. Resist the urge to start a monologued sermon. Talk a little bit about how others you know of have been affected, ie, Pele was in hospital for months, had to learn to walk again, etc.

Be wary of focussing on the death aspect, as very few (if any) of us have experienced death and it is hard to relate to. However, permanent or long term disability & hospitalisation is much more concerning to most people, and is more likely to make them want to find out more.

The key to this, is not to flood them with information form yourself, Talk as litle as possible about specifics. Instead, print out some of these articles and give it to them to read, get some of the safety videos and give it to them at atime they can watch them.

Basically, let them investigate the information themselves and come to their own conclusions.

We cannot change peoples minds for them, and the more we try the more likely they will build barriers in their mind to what we are saying, and these barriers can last forever, and make it harder for others to get through too.

The only way in my opinion, is to get them interested in a non-confrontational way, so that they seek the infomration themselves.

Does that make sense?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
It makes a lot of sense- when I'm talking with people interested in spinning, and fire breathing enters the conversation, I take pretty much the same approach.

I don't make a big deal about it, I generally just mention that it's something I don't do- if they ask why I tell them- if they want more details I'll direct them to articles on HOP.

If someone really wants to fire breathe I really don't mind- it's not my problem.

However, in this situation where the individual concerned is spreading the myth that fire breathing is not dangerous, and encouraging young students to take it up, that's a different matter.

In that case there's an alternative to trying to reason with the individual (which is not practical anyway) and that is to contact the student union, who are themselves responsible for the actions of the societies they run, and getting them to sort it out.

The individual, in my view, is totally entitled to fire breathe for his own amusement; it's the fact that he's encouraging others whilst maintaining that it is safe, that I would have an issue with.

That aspect aside though, i agree fully with the approach you suggest to help individuals come to their own conclusions on whether they should themselves try fire-breathing.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
On the face of it, that makes sense, Dave.

But that viewpoint is once again basing itself on the premise that your belief (that firebreathing is dangerous) is not only right, but obvious to anyone who looks at it.

What we have here, is at least one individual, and likely dozens, who are mired in the university social and political scenes. They have much more clout than this one new person, and if challenged officially, are likely to be ostracised from that group, and not get their message through.

Take the word of someone deep in the polical mire of the University, who says he's been doing something for 15 years and nothing has gone wrong, and pitch an offical complaint about him by a very new student.

Who do you think is more likely to get their point across to the Powers that Be?

We aren't talking about asbestos, or something else that has huge amounts of solid evidence to back up its theories, nor something that a large number of people ever fully understand.

As mentioned before, the thought of this practice continuing is absoluely abhorrent.

However, if changes are to be made long term, I personally believe the slower approach has a good chance of changes happening.

Even if the union did stop the practice, this person and his colleagues would continue to spread the dangerous 'this is safe' message outside of the university, and also have many barriers in their mind to anyone else who suggests otherwise.

This is the way I view it, and how I would approach it in the same situation, to hopefully have the most successful long term outcome.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Charles

On the face of it, that makes sense, Dave.

But that viewpoint is once again basing itself on the premise that your belief (that firebreathing is dangerous) is not only right, but obvious to anyone who looks at it.

I consider the premise that my belief that fire-breathing is dangerous to be correct- I'm not going to say that it's just my opinion, because I consider it to be fact.

I fully accept though, that it's not going to be obvious to anyone who looks at it- I suspect the individual in question would not see it as obvious.

What we have here, is at least one individual, and likely dozens, who are mired in the university social and political scenes. They have much more clout than this one new person, and if challenged officially, are likely to be ostracised from that group, and not get their message through.

Take the word of someone deep in the polical mire of the University, who says he's been doing something for 15 years and nothing has gone wrong, and pitch an offical complaint about him by a very new student.

Who do you think is more likely to get their point across to the Powers that Be?

We aren't talking about asbestos, or something else that has huge amounts of solid evidence to back up its theories, nor something that a large number of people ever fully understand.

As mentioned before, the thought of this practice continuing is absoluely abhorrent.

However, if changes are to be made long term, I personally believe the slower approach has a good chance of changes happening.

That makes sense. I think there's grounds for the approach I suggested however-

1. the union may well give greater weight to the opinion of the established group, which is why I suggested an official complaint and asking for written acknowledgement from the union.

That leaves them vulnerable to legal implications should a member of this society suffer a fire-breathing accident. Of course, legally they would be liable anyway if that happened- but this way they'll probably take their responsibility more seriously, hopefully preventing an accident happening.

It is their responsibility- they have a duty of care towards the students who use their facilities.

Even if the union did stop the practice, this person and his colleagues would continue to spread the dangerous 'this is safe' message outside of the university, and also have many barriers in their mind to anyone else who suggests otherwise.

If it wasn't a university, I'd agree- because it is a university, I think they should be stopped.

I live near a university, and am very involved in the circus skills society there. New students are young, and, in the situation where the leader of an established society is telling them that an activity is totally safe, many will be inclined to just believe it.

Secondly, as head of a university society, this individual has access to a large intake of students every year.

I think if he was restricted to spreading his message outside the university, he would have a much harder time, lacking a ready-made audience.

Of course, a complaint probably wouldn't result in him being banished anyway- he'd probably just be advised to stop saying that fire breathing is safe; possibly he'd also be told not to teach it.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
So it looks like our key disagreement is the effectiveness of the official channels...

As per the normal end to our discussions, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that point... smile

No hard feelings?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Of course smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ahhhhhh smile

grouphug

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
No matter how 'safe' you are with fire breathing there's always always the risk of getting hurt which in some ways is the same as other extreme sports but the risks with the other sports are a lot more managable.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Believing firebreathing to be safe or not is one thing but not recognising ANY of the possible dangers is another totally. This is the attitude of the society. Trying to explain some of the dangers, as simple as eyebrow singeing (i took care not to mention death) they still would not admit that there were these dangers. This is what worries me, the whole 'this hasnt happened yet so it never will' attitude is the most dangerous aspect of the society.

On a less dangerous but still worrying note, a vice president who had NEVER picked up a pair of poi before, not even socks, had a fire set and lit up, not even bothering to have a quick spin first, hitting herself a lot and not making sure her immediate area was clear of people.

This puts me in a difficult position, i dont want to ostrasize myself by reporting them to the Union president because i would still like to be in the society but i also really dont want to put people in danger by not saying anything. I think the latter is more important but Charles makes the good point, who would the union take more seriously?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Hey there, how about if the union doesn't effectively control this git, then you get the police involved? Now I know that sounds heavy handed, but PEOPLE DIE from bad fire breathing. It's not funny. It's not a "Minor complaint". PEOPLE CAN DIE. If the guy won't quit telling people it's safe, then go to the union, if the union doesn't do anything, go to the police. THAT should get some attention from the "Instructor" and the Union. And from everyone else on campus, actually... I doubt he'll want to face all the inquiry heading his way if the cops get involved.

And if you find anyone who thinks you're ruining their fun, then tell them they're being kinda ungrateful, they could DIE. smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Print this out:

[Old link]

And then print out A Season In Hell by Pele.

And if he won't believe it, then go to the authorities.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Why not contact the Union and make an appointment to see someone fairly high up.

Do what lightning says and take along print-puts of those articles.

During the appointment, express your concern, and, without making a big deal about it, ask what the procedures are for making an official complaint- don't necessarily make an official compliant, just mention it so they know that you're an individual who is not going to fobbed off.

Ask for feedback, and get a date by which you'll receive that feedback.

Hopefully, the outcome will be that the Union realises there is a serious safety issue here, and that the students they are responsible for are being put at risk by this person.

Hopefully they will then meet with this person and he will start to take this a lot more seriously.

Whether the Union takes you seriously or not is down purely to the way you approach them- organisations in general tend to be somewhat lazy when they can get away with it; but they perk up when accountability pops into view.

Asking for specifics about what they're going to do, when they're going to do it etc, makes it more likely that they'll take you seriously. Getting stuff in writing makes them realise there's potential for accountability.

And, if that fails, then go back and make an official complaint.

This individual is a hazard- he's teaching the most dangerous aspect of fire arts when he's blatantly not knowledgible about it, he's lying about it being totally safe, and every year he's being handed a ready made audience of gullible youngsters who like getting drunk, going to parties, and trying to impress other drunken gullible youngsters with their new found 'skills'.

Your original post seemed to indicate that he put pressure on you to fire-breathe even when you'd made it clear that you weren't comfortable with it- no all freshers have the necessary confidence to refuse, and virtually none have the knowledge (of fire breathing dangers) that you do.

This shouldn't be down to you- you're under no obligation to do anything about this; but you are in a position where you can make a difference.

In all honesty, given this individuals total lack of responsibilty, and the sheer numbers of impressionable youngsters he's got access to, i really do think there's a good chance that somewhere down the line, someone is going to die as a direct consequence of his actions.

Last week, at sheffields university juggling club we had around 80 new members turn up, wanting to learn from people they assume know what they're talking about. We obviously don't teach fire-breathing,or even fire-spinning; and it's scary to think of a scenario in which someone in the same position is teaching fire-breathing, claiming it is totally safe, and putting pressure on freshers to try it.

---------------------------------

I appreciate that this guys running an extreme sports society, and that all the activities are high-risk; but fire-breathing falls into a different category.

No fresher can, whilst drunk at a party, suddenly decide they fancy a bit of sky-diving, or whip out a kayak for a bit of white-water rafting.

These things involve expensive equipment and expert supervision to learn.

Fire-breathing requires a bottle of paraffin, and that's it. Even with expert supervision and correct fuels, the danger can only be minimised- done at parties with whatever fuel is at hand, and with the belief that it is 100% safe (because that's what your teacher told you), you've got a recipe for a very ugly disaster.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

ZeeBooBRONZE Member
167 posts

Posted:
Beth are you sure you want to go bungee jumping, skydiving or even in a mini bus (same room) with someone who has shown an absolute disregard for safety.

hug

Just because I'm an adult doesn't make me responsible.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Or...

Stick with it, run for Chair, run the society properly.

Just a thought, though this is more of a long term thing

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Beth, that's really awful! Our juggling soc doesn't do fire as society programme, but when we spin "at our own risk" we do look out for new people and for safety. You should definitely go and talk to someone, cause even if everyone there does it at their own risk and has heard (and ignored) what you've said, they can still hurt bystanders (and will at some point from what you said).

For the other stuff - do they get discounts at bungee jumping etc or do they actually organise it? I'd definitely recommend that you go to places like HoP and get information about safety for these sports, and then step out if you see the regulations ignored again. And run for president next year so that this won't happen again hug

Maybe you could get them to print out the most important things (fire safety, fire breathing etc) and copy them for everyone who wants to do it, then make a list where people have to sign that they've understood and read them?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think the problem is illustrating the dangers of fire breathing while illustrating the fact that other firey activities are not in that league.

I mean, you could just report it, but I'd bet that ALL firey activities would be shut down.

I think this is actually tricky.

I'm all for Natural Selection, but when those in the stupid start teaching others who don't know better, it becomes more complicated. Especially since this guy seems to have some knowledge of other extreme sports. If I didn't know better and was interested, I might trust him too.

Good luck.

hug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i think part of the problem is how easy fire breathing is - because its very easy - any idiot can hold a mouth full of kero and spit it out again - its what happens next thats the problem

i would have one last try talking to this guy make sure you go with the relavent printed out bits from here and if you can get a medic or someone along with you to back you up on ARD

if that fails go to the main union and explain exactly what has happened. again take the info and explain the difference between general fire spinning etc and breathing explain the risks of both and point out the lack of warning about things such as checmical penumonia and cancer

its one thing to do a sport that you might hurt yourself it - its another to teach a skill that will almost certainly give you severe long term health problems

back

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually, it might be best to bite your tounge and hope it goes away. frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: