pureenergymember
17 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone, i was just wondering if i could get some opinions on what kind of poi to get? I plan on eventually working my way up to fire but for now ill stick with something that won't have me dead within a week. Something preferably that i could attach glowsticks too, as that is what i will mainly be twirling. I was thinking the zuni poi, but pele's comments in a separate thread have disparaged me on that idea...any help?Hugs and plur,Matt------------------All that AND a bag of chips?!? Now that's a deal!

All that AND a bag of chips?!? Now that's a deal!

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Commet poi are great for practice.(I wish I'd had some when I first started i learned with unlit fire chains and they hurt!) I make my own from tennis balls, nylon string, fishing swivels, Nylon webbing & splitrings for handles and kite material off-cuts for the bag/tail (It glows under uv light). They're really cheap to make and you can attach a glowstick if there's no uv light.The tail slows down the poi and makes them easier to work with. But they do behave quite differently to my fire chains because of the weight difference so when you move onto fire have plenty of practice unlit first.Onelove,Thistlefirepixie smile

Are we nearly there yet?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
We started on a bucnh of scoks all rolled up and attached a shoe string. Then went to unlit fire poi, then to fire poi. Only in the past month have I used Malcolm's LED kit (liked them), Zuni (eh) and the Comet Poi that Malcolm sent for the relay (need to get used to them). For me the way I went about it was perfect because I was so used to the fire poi by the time I lit there was virtually no apprehension and now I am seeing how different the other forms of poi really are. However, if you want a show worthy set then socks will *never* do wink. I would suggest Comet or Zuni (at least from Malcolm since he says he has the ones that hold up better). I am finding that nylon tail really hard to get used to, which is the disadvantage of doing socks to fire then on to other types. grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
MattI started off with practice poi and now that I am used to fire poi I find the fire poi easier to swing and that the tails are quite a nuisance for doing a variety of moves. They are beautiful though and look great during the day and under uv lights. The weave and mexican wave look great with the streaming long tails. You can make your own poi quite easily. Instead of making long tails, why not attach colourful ribbons on the end they will look great for just practicing.You'll find the 'make and do section here useful and also check out this site:https://www.geocities.com/jshorten_934/nz/poi.htmIf you are keen on buying some, then the poi from this site are really excellent quality.Glowsticks hurt when you hit yourself with them, so if 'fire' is your eventual goal, why not get yourself some fire poi and practice with them. I have made nice bags as covers for mine, for which I am going to get some uv material to tie onto the bags as ribbons, so that they will look great during the day time and unlit too!Happy Poi'ingKat------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I started with comet poi about a month or so ago and have worked up the ladder with them. I didnt realize it when I got them, but now that I can do a move or two, I see what a nuisance the tails are. But really, being that the tails are such a bother, it forces me to work in a narrow spectrum for mistakes, which is good if Im going to work with fire one day. I definitely recommend the comets, but I guess the zuni have attachments for glow sticks, though Ive never tried it out. Hey, youre in Lakeland! Now where is my map? You cant be that far away!Happy twirling!------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Because i like the weight and feel of my fire poi, and the fact that i dont have 2 different sets of poi for practise and fire, i ahve just made several "covers" for my fire poi, some are plain and some are UV. Im in the process of making comet like bags to put over my wicks so that i can use them for UV shows. Can also thread ribbon through the chain for more effectiveness. Then just undo/untie covers and you're ready to light up

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Doesn't the ribbon get tangled up for you guys??? It does for me!!! I ended up maiking my own extra thick ribbons from silk so that they wouldn't tangle. How do you do it???And yes I agree that there is little margin for error with the tails on Comets and Zuni, but in truth I have been doing fine with fire withut training with the tails and such first. I say make a set and swing them! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
beaming is good, its like fire but its not.flags are fun.but the best thing i can think of is tenis balls or comet.(i have a set with 2m tails coming off of them, and they rock! i put my beaming balls on these!!!)