Forums > Social Discussion > A question about space, and getting into bath water

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I had a thought a few weeks ago after watching a pretty bog standard and boring programme on the guy who suppoisdly jumped out of his basth water and shouted ureka. Im thinking, this is pretty dumbed down even for television there really stretching this out over an hour.

Anyway, I wanted to ask this. Ok you know how you get into a bath half full of water, and your body pushes the water up, its called...dispersion or something I cant remember the name for it at the moment.

If I move to the other end of a room and stop still, will I make abrit_joe shape hole around that bit in the universe?

Does the same thing happen out of the bath (at that particular point I decide to stand still in) as in the bath with the bath water?

Im I making sense?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Joe, your problem is what your definitions are.

If you're saying you're taking away 'every thing' and then wondering what thing is left you're gonna have a problem.

And you're thinking billions of times too big for your definition of self. What's air made of? And what about germs or skin?

Or even better, what about the 80% of you that's water? Is that you? What about when you pee? Are you leaving you? That was the same water that was inside your cells two days earlier. And that carbon atom you just breathed out was fat earlier today... are you now floating around the room? What about the fact that many of the atoms that make up 'you' came from other living things previously? If you chop me up and eat me, are you now me?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
there is no way to 'remove the walls' between parallel universes.

continuing your anaology, the rooms are not adjacent so even if you could remove a wall, they would still be different rooms.

there is no overlying 'house' that contains all the many universes.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

If you chop me up and eat me, are you now me?

i had a lovely steak last night...

i am cow, hear me moo!

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:

Isn't that just because you're defining 'you' to be whatever happens to be in that space? Isn't it relatively arbatrary where 'you' start and stop?

Well yeah shrug

Just cause something's arbitrary doesn't make it any less (un)important.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Haha this is straight out of 'I heart huckabees'

'But what about the space BETWEEN the particles?'....

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
ok cole so theres gotta be something that does seperate the paralel universes, hasnt there? Otherwise it would be one big mess spilling over into each other.

So if a vacuumes nothing, why dosent paralel universe X (or whatever) spill into our iniverse through it? If it dosent then there must be something to the vacuum.

Now i am going to leave this thread, because I have answerd another question. What happens when you mix secondery school/the back of cerial packets science with intelligent degree, PHD science. An incomprihensible ungoldy mess that should NEVER have been mixed. Or to put it simply cheesecake.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
but the realty IS you are what you eat...and i suppose technically thats sunlight + bits of the planet. no matter what you eat

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

ok cole so theres gotta be something that does seperate the paralel universes, hasnt there? Otherwise it would be one big mess spilling over into each other.

joe - your concepts are a bit mixed up...

1. hold a glass of water
2. empty that cup into the sink
3. tell me why does more water not immediately spill into the empty glass and fill it back up?

read lots of books and investigate this stuff:

what is a vaccuum?
what defines the size/boundary of the universe?
what is the many universes theory saying in real terms?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

Isn't that just because you're defining 'you' to be whatever happens to be in that space? Isn't it relatively arbatrary where 'you' start and stop?

Well yeah shrug

Just cause something's arbitrary doesn't make it any less (un)important.

Of course it's still important. I was referring to Joe's discussion of displacement.

If you call a 1 foot sphere of air "dave" and then "dave" moves, you can't really trip out when something else comes to fill the space previously known as "dave".

It's all entropy driven billiard balls anyway. ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Doesn't this parallel universe stuff spring from a bunch of string theory physicists who have kind of decided there are 11 parallel universes. Apparently because that's how many it takes to make their formulae work.

Stick with rocks. They're pretty unarguable.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Really? I always found rocks way more confusing than particle physics.

I mean sedimentary, yeah, they're unarguable... but metamorphic? They just don't make any sense.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
They're not very good conversationalists, true, but they have the distict advantage that almost never will they vanish into a puff of ether, or that the entire science seems to be made up to explain them.

Apart from palaeontology. Wooo, what a bunch of charlatins biggrin

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
vacuum is the lack of matter - but it wont stay like that for long

physics has some odd ideas on vacuum especially at quantum levels where particles and anti particles will randomly appear

simian - there is no known way to compress space time - just stretch it

there some ideas about exotic particles that will be able to compress spacetime and create anti gravity but its never been found (because we cant get near it tongue)

back

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
ok this would be an edit but i want to answer a few q's and i forget what im answering so itll be a double post - sorry

Eera - your thinking of dimensions - string theory works when you consider particles as very small strings of energy vibrating in differnt ways - but for this to work you need extra dimensions that are very small - these are rolled up on themselves and the strings vibrate in them

the whole many universe's thing cant have universes that join - they exsist seperatly on whats called a 'braine' dimension which is like a giant sheet of paper all the universes exsist on -some people think that gravity may also affect this dimension so that the universes spin about each other but you cant move from one to another as there is nothing inbetween (not vacuum which still has weird quantum rubbish in it literally nothing - no time no space)

the whole thing is similar to what was before the big bang - nothing no time or anything - try and understand that :P

back

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: linden rathen

simian - there is no known way to compress space time - just stretch it

But wouldn't then, non-stretched space-time be relatively compressed compared to stretched space-time? Or maybe I'm just thinking of time dilation ie. the twin paradox and approaching light speed.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: