Page: ...
Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
What ever you do, don't go taking me seriously wink

Why the hell is philosphy reserved only for poi?

"Poi is life"...... where the hell is staff in that equation? tongue

Poi gets all the "There is no move" BS... what do we get? Nowt.

S'not fair. I want to be able to terrify newbies with such confusing words of wisdom, but yet there doesn't seem to be any spiritual side to staff... Lame!

Is it because staffers are, by default, meat heads? Is it beacuse philosophy is reserved only for the wussier side of object manipulation?

Should I just shut the hell up before I get lynched?

EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1127739343)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Is it because staffers are, by default, meat heads?

eek dude............wft ubbloco

Should I just shut the hell up before I get lynched?

Take your own advice.............. biggrin

As far as the spiritual mind of wisdom and wonder of a staffer........have you not read any of bens posts wink ubblol

Go and educate yourself boy!!

ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: strugz

Is it because staffers are, by default, meat heads?

eek dude............wft ubbloco

Like I said, don't go taking me seriously. This is a bit tounge in cheek. I myself am a staffer. I dont like poi much at all smile

I don't believe staffers are meat heads at all. I just think its interesting that there's not much "deep" stuff being said about staff, where as they all seem to love flashing it about in the poi sections wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ok man fair enuf.......

my guess would be staffers dont waste time talking bollox wink

biggrin

Besides why make soemthing more complicated than it already is, concentrate on hardass moves, leave the deep philosophy to the poiers cool

In life there are thinkers and there are do-ers - which one are you wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

10,530 posts

Posted:
Neither, I'm as lazy as hell, and I ain't too bright wink

I agree that the philosophy makes stuff more complicated than it really needs to be. I also reckon its a fair comment to call it all bollox biggrin

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:

I also reckon its a fair comment to call it all bollox biggrin

wise words there FRD - you should become a philosopher wink

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
here is some contact dance philosophy to get you started:

[Old link]

biggrin

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
yeah, and like, dude, do you EVER read bender's posts? there's another one...

I'm actually the most annoyed about guff's disapeerence cause i was asking some questions of him (bender) at the time it was taken off, and he always has very useful things to say

thankx meditate

but yeah, i think you're just not looking in the right places....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
no. you are both wrong tongue

(edit: writing that 2 posts behind, talking to FRD and Strugz. Kyrian's post is probably wrong too, i just haven't read it yet wink )

there are good reasons to think about things you do. It helps you come up with new ways of looking at the stuff you do, which can lead to different ways of doing the things that you were doing before, but in such a way that their "doingness" is more related to the reason you were doing them in the first place. And stuff like that.

In other matters:

There are no moves?

There are lots of moves

However, they're far outnumbered by stuff that isn't moves.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

In other matters:
There are no moves
There are lots of moves
However, they're far outnumbered by stuff that isn't moves.

and there this thread ends ubblol

nuff said wink

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Ben-ja-men

There is an essence to each movement this essence is what makes it beautiful, the closer to the true essence the movement the more beautiful it is.

I'm quoting this here to avoid taking that thread off topic smile

Whoah... Thats a bit Plato - World of the Forms right there. The whole essence thing, and the moves already existing. Very much like Plato's theory that everything already has a form (the perfect form, basically a blueprint) and everything is just a particular of the original form. But most things only have the essence, or the qualities, of the original form.

Does this mean we can never reach staff perfection?

damn it!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Wow, I was a couple posts behind too... 'tis not all bollox people, just 95% of it... biggrin wink

But simian already did a better job saying it than i'm gonna, so i'll step down

Altho he's being confusing as well....

edit: you guys post too fast!! f*in ell....

the essence stuff sounds too tautology-ish at this time of morning for me tho....

I like the moves quite much better biggrin
EDITED_BY: Kyrian (1127741841)

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

Altho he's being confusing as well....

I think thats what I dislike about the whole spinning philosophy thing. Its so damn confusing.

Me being an unintellignet chap, I can barley make head or tail of whats being said by those of the Jedi quality...

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
well yeah, but if you just say something simply, then people go "oh, is that it?" and wander off. if you set them a crossword clue then they can get all excited even if you're showing them the obvious.

ubbangel

Plato's forms are a load of rubbish. Especially when applied to staff moves.
although certain variables will increase a movement's aesthetic value. But those variables are arbitrarily set. Eye of the beholder, and whatnot. And is it all about aesthetics anyway? is staff: art, fun or stick? anyone who suggests they are a combination of all three should be given a chilli oil eyebath for stating the obvious when they should be being obtuse\obscure\obese.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

Plato's forms are a load of rubbish.

Agreed. Any bloke that reckons that subjective views and useing your senses are stupid should have unpleasant stuff done to him.

Whilst reason is a useful thing, to use it on its own makes no sense. Science has answered a lot of questions, and its mostly all emperical and stuff. Hooooya! I ain't half off topic biggrin

Staff isn't fun! It's life! Duh! wink
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1127743463)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hey ubbidea

synergy

Why not learn poi?

wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

Why not learn poi?

I did. And got bored with it fairly quickly.

Poi was the first thing I ever span with. But Staff is what I love biggrin

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Then take up clubs - potentially all the wierd hippy philosophy type stuff of poi combined with the no-nonsense lack of bendyness of a staff wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

10,530 posts

Posted:
I love swinging clubs! biggrin

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Written by: stugz

my guess would be staffers dont waste time talking bollox wink

what wrong with talking bollox

Written by: Ben-ja-men

There is an essence to each movement this essence is what makes it beautiful, the closer to the true essence the movement the more beautiful it is.

ok point taken ubblol

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
The problem is...

Poi are much harder to use than staffs.
They have a life of their own and will happily swing by themselves.

Staffs are stubborn bastards (and often spun by the same too) and won't do anything unless told to.
Contact is just dropping your staff, then trying unsuccesfully to catch it with your elbow.

Thus staff deserves no philosophy other than
"Staff is bonk"

It's no coincidence that staff is one letter away from "stuff", where as poi is only 3 letters away from "art"

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

Thus staff deserves no philosophy other than
"Staff is bonk"

It's no coincidence that staff is one letter away from "stuff", where as poi is only 3 letters away from "art"

poi is one letter away from poo. Staff is 5 letters away from deity. and for a final fact, durbs is eight letters away from shithead.

Though you're expression of the philosophy of staff was spot on, I couldn't have put it more concisely myself, and I have been studing it for many many years. Obviously staff represents well, and poi the other two bits of the male anatomy and we all know what that means don't we....

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Babies?
Or embaressing stains?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
that wasn't as funny as my post. (or your previous one)

Didn't actually mean to call you a shithead, I was hoping hop would put a censored thing there instead to increase the mystery of my insult. Plus 2bags forced me into it. twat.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
i wouldn't listen to 2bags, he's a poi spinner he is an WE all know how dodgy they are. would catch me dead with a pair of floppy balls in my hand oh-no. it's far to easy. as this page proves staff is obviously for intelligent people who like hard things like willies which is much better. i reckon we should all go beat up those dreadful wussy poi spinners with their poncy philospophy... who's with me? wink

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
*raises hand

and that post of yours durbs was geniouse in my opinion

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
hmm, i think you should both wait till your "poi" drop.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
it'll never happen, even if i did touch the things they'd always be attached to my hands... tongue

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I find touching them tends to make my staff go up...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Yeush. Durbs, you should have quit while you were a head

smile

Getting to the other side smile

Page: ...