Page:
i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Ok, so everyone knows about steel wool and all that stuff... and the inherrent dangers and such.

Well it's not good enough for small areas, or wraps, or other cool things we could be doing with it.

So I've been talking to some pyrotechniques guys about different alternative options. I thought about using some sort of fireworks, but have been told this might not be a good idea without significant;y more protective equipment than I was thinking.

Then someone suggested "Pine Charcoal". Rather easy to make: you take scraps of pine 2x4 or something and put it in a paintcan with some holes punched in the lid, and slap it on a grill until smoke stops coming out the holes. Ta-da, pine charcoal.

Which is used in making black powder and some stuff like that when combined in powder form and such... anyone want to get into pyrotechniques? smile

But we aren't doing that... Just using these lumps of charcoal in some kind of mesh cage as say poi, or on the ends of a staff, would create floating sparks that would be quite cool and wouldn't present NEARLY the damaging ability that steel wool does, and would allow for wraps, exploding spark showers from sudden impacts, etc. that would still be relatively safe. It is also self burning from what I can gather thus far (we're in the baby-stages of development here). Though I suppose you might be able to add on some fuel if your really looking for some kind of flame... don't know...

I just thought I'd share.

I'm going to make some here very soon and try it. The one thing that I am NOT exactly sure of what to do is the fabrication of the mesh cage. You almost want a sack or bag with holes just big enough to allow for the charcoal to filter out, but isn't pointy or hard so you can do wraps, etc. I'm thinking of a steel mesh of some sort. I'll ask how big of holes would be necessary for this, but does anyone have any good ideas? Steel wool type contraptions might be able to be modified for this, but for the propper effect I'm looking for I don't think any kind of steel wool contraptions I have SEEN will work as is...

Mark HustedGOLD Member
177 posts

Posted:

Keep it Lit....

Mark HustedGOLD Member
177 posts

Posted:

Keep it Lit....

Page: