onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking of contributing some stuff to wikipedia.

I have used it a little in the past (for researching stuff) and it seems quite useful, but I've not used it extensively; so I thought I'd post this thread for comments by those who have used it a lot.

My main question is, given that one of its founding principles is that anyone can edit the articles/definitions (I've just looked quickly at a FAQ, and it seems you don't even have to register to edit articles)- is there a problem with vandalism and deliberatly messing with articles?

I'm just thinking of all the trollers and idiots who love to create grief on message boards- is wikipedia not extremely vulnerable to these?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I use wikipedia quite a lot for school work.

From what I can tell, any messing around done is changed by any other users who notice it.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
i suppose wikipedia thinks that theres more good people than bad, so if theres one person who thinks its clever to mess with something there will be two or more to correct it.

--the spark what lit the flame which started the fire that burned forever--

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Every time I've used Wikipedia, I've found the information to be accurate. WHen used in conjunction with the informative links submitted on the Wikipedia, and your own Googling and research, it's a good source.

Willy - is bad for your health...

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

There is Wikipoidia too smile:

https://www.spherculism.com/wiki

enjoy the ride,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

1,019 posts

Posted:
How useless. It just states basically what the move is, not a detailed description of getting the move done!

https://www.jugglingdb.com/jugglewiki/

Now that's a decent wiki. smile Come with little animations, but once again, lacks a lot of descriptiveness.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lemonkey

How useless. It just states basically what the move is, not a detailed description of getting the move done!

I think my dictionary is broken as well. I looked up the word "Piano" but I'm still not able to play it. wink

The sphercuism definitions are incredibly useful to those strugging for terminology. It is an invaluable aid in communication. It does not actually go to your house and teach you how to do moves, nor does it make you mixed drinks with a small umbrella in them.

Just because you don't use something, doesn't make it 'useless'.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

I think my dictionary is broken as well. I looked up the word "Piano" but I'm still not able to play it. wink

Ahhhahaha, owned. frown

... but it's obvious that playing a piano is different from poi. Once you know the positioning of keys, and have the knowledge to read music, in theory you could argue that one could play anything without further instruction.

... which is not true for poi, with all the different hand movements, positions, lengths of poi, timings etc.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Personally, I love wiki. It's really saved my pale white ass on many occassions and I've never found any problems with people messing with it. I guess it'd be more trouble than it'd be worth in entertainment value.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
NYC,

That made my day. smile

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Made mine too smile

Written by: Lemonkey

but it's obvious that playing a piano is different from poi. Once you know the positioning of keys, and have the knowledge to read music, in theory you could argue that one could play anything without further instruction.

... which is not true for poi, with all the different hand movements, positions, lengths of poi, timings etc.

Still pretty much the same thing. When you learn a musical piece, eventually your hands know how to do it all by themselves. Same goes for poi/staff/any other object manipulation...

I found a lot of moves actaully spawn from moves already learnt.

But your argument about continuing playing the piano without a teacher is indeed a valid argument. The only thing I can think of is that very few people actually do that. Lots of people get constant tutorship...

But this is a tad offtopic don'tcha think biggrin
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1127693091)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

NYC,

That made my day. smile

Well you know that's my goal in life. Oh yeah, and the EC minimeetup was sick. biggrin

Back to wikipedia... ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

I'm thinking of contributing some stuff to wikipedia.

I have used it a little in the past (for researching stuff) and it seems quite useful, but I've not used it extensively; so I thought I'd post this thread for comments by those who have used it a lot.

My main question is, given that one of its founding principles is that anyone can edit the articles/definitions (I've just looked quickly at a FAQ, and it seems you don't even have to register to edit articles)- is there a problem with vandalism and deliberatly messing with articles?

I'm just thinking of all the trollers and idiots who love to create grief on message boards- is wikipedia not extremely vulnerable to these?

Yeh i tried that, just to see if it would work. I put random spelling errors in an article, and it really did change it straight away... no approval required. The thing is, if the changes are small they won't stand out. Of course, i did change it back!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
wiki's tend to have decent backups to help guard against 'vandalism'.

they also have the ability to allow the protection of pages for a period of time if they seem to be repeatedly attracting trolls.

dave - check out this page.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
So does that mean Bugis is in fact a sock puppet and not just a cuddly toy?

umm

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I've contributed to about 20 or so pages on wikipedia, there is some vandalism but even on quieter pages I check my watchlist whenever I visit and undo anything like that... doesn't take long.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

AkashlaBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
Lemonkey, the point of a wiki is that if you are unhappy with the content, you can change it.
So, if you want more than a definition, you can edit it and add to it. If you've found a better discription elsewhere, then you can replace the text with it or add a link to it, so the people yet to visit are happier than you were.

I love the Wiki. I find it one of the most reliable sources and it is generally my first port of call during research.

Onewheeldave, you can get a list of recent changes so some avid wiki-ers while away their time by checking those. Trolls and idiots rarely stick around for that long if their presence is obliterated within a few minutes. Its more difficult if two people have opposing views, but most agree to differ, and add two conflicting thoughts in the hope others will be able to clarify/

I am not a bitch.
I am THE bitch.
And Im Miss Bitch to you.

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Just a thought: If wikipedia continues to become a huge source of info for people worldwide, who ever created wikipedia will soon become pretty damn powerful, because they'll be able to manipulate info to their advantage and cause mass misinformation, then block people from changing the article.

Same goes to the fellows at google.com (though those guys are pretty trustworthy imo).

AkashlaBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
Wiki is also open source, so anybody can make it, add to it and change it. Its ran by volunteers, but the guy that started it runs a non profit organisation, committed to making information freely available.

I wouldnt worry about them giving us false information, as they cant lock it. As soon as they took out the editing feature, the information would start being out of date and unreliable.

And anyone who believes what they read, without at least checking somewhere unrelated first, is just asking for trouble.

I am not a bitch.
I am THE bitch.
And Im Miss Bitch to you.