Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
ok, so i'm in my final year of school, i've got about 7 weeks left, and i'm studing pretertiary art. I do photography and instead of sitting an exam at the end of the year we have to submit a 3000 word essay which somehow relates to our own work. however, i haven't bee able to find any other artists who have produced work like mine, and the teachers haven't really found any either.

So, do you think this sort of means that the art course i am studing infact surpresses your will to use your 'creative' streak? that in fact they are inadvertantly influencing you to simply produce more of the same?

its really annoying, i've got heaps of work to do before i finish and having no idea what i can do about this situation is pretty stressful.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
No, it just means you have to try harder than the rest to come up with your concept.

Nothing is new, after all smile

Good luck hug

Getting to the other side smile

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I agree, inspiration comes from somewhere, I'm going to do a project about imagination and how if we imagine something it becomes real in a way. I won't find other artists who have produced the same work as me but I already can think of a few where small aspects are similar.

They probably don't want you to find similar work, just work where there is a common aspect or theme, even if a small link. It doesn't nessarily have to be photography, it could be anything. I think studying the work of other artists is vital when studying art, particulary in the earlier stages of the career, such as at school and uni, as it helps you to develop a language, mainly a visual language, but also a verbal one, that is essential to produce good work.

What is your work like?

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
yeh, it doesnt have to be photography, the only name any of the teachers came up with was a painter that used visual palindromes, which kind of relates, but i couldn't find much about him.

well, it mostly urban waste, such as derelict buildings and stuff. But of late(and what the teachers want me to do) i've been making montage kind of things, where i've been doing multiple prints to make kind of false environments. its hard to explain and unfortunatly they're too large to scan.

funnily enough, my teacher says that i kind of 'juggle' my images like i would juggle balls. i find it kind of redundant because she wouldn't describe it like that if she didn't know that i juggle.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
it may be 'redundant' (though I can't quite understand the use of the word in this context) but it's also a clue of one way to proceed. So rather than rejecting that suggestion, use it as the basis for a brainstorm..."see where that offer leads" as tehy would say in Theatresports. It might turn out to be very interesting to use the metaphor for a few hundred words or so. Even to discuss the difference between two/three dimensional spatial rearrangements... rhythm , focus etc... whatever. If you want to be creative artistically, get creative mentally as well!!

You haven't made it clear why finding other artist who work in a similar way is relevant. Are you supposed to "compare and contrast" in the essay? Then focus on contrasting. Use the space to define why you think your art is so different to others, and maybe even why that is so important to you.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Well, coming from a sculptural background, i'm more in touch with the work of sculptors. Off the top of my head, I can think of a guy called Paul Scott, who instead of printing the pretty and rural pictures normally found on blue and white porcelain, pictures scenes of industrialised and polluted urbanisation, in that sense he's kind of layering the images of pollution and the reality of the world on top of objects associated with idealised, comfortable imagery, normally found in a domestic context.

It's difficult to suggest anyone, without seeing your work, but I know I've come across many people who have been influenced by urban waste. In fact I know an artist who would collect all the rubbish of the street then arrange in into huge, elaborate william morris style designs, but I'm guessing that thats not particulary relavent to your work.

You could then look at artists who have created a false enviroment within their work, 2D and installation work would be good to look at.

There are hundreds of art sites on the internet, try searching for some big ones on google, things like artcyclopedia are occasionaly useful, then type in key words in small groups such as 'false enviroment' and 'urban', you never know what might come up, it is very unlikley you'll find a good match, but what you should be looking for is the small links.

I think it is dangerous to discuss why you think your art is unique, the examiner, might not be too impressed with that, and could know someone who produces work similar to yours. They may also think that you are just saying that as you were too lazy to find out about other artists, as this is a tactic that is sometimes used for this. (please note- not saying you're lazy, as you're blatently not from the fact you posted this in the first place)

Good luck with it!

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
I had a similar feeling during art GCSE (taken a 16). I basicly did my pieces then did the preliminary work after, this involved looking at each piece and picking a vague theme (like "war"), finding a artist or piece with the most tenuous link to it and BSing my way through it.

Worked for me, but that was GCSE at 16, would probably be more difficult at anything older

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
lazy? sounds fun, and since i just got told today that my doctor thinks i have glandular fever i have the rest of the week to research!

thanx for some names and ideas, and keep it coming! biggrin

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Written by: Domino

I had a similar feeling during art GCSE (taken a 16). I basicly did my pieces then did the preliminary work after, this involved looking at each piece and picking a vague theme (like "war"), finding a artist or piece with the most tenuous link to it and BSing my way through it.

Worked for me, but that was GCSE at 16, would probably be more difficult at anything older

Yeh, but when you get further on, you include research into other artists within your work more and more, it becomes difficult not to, once you get older, you also have the experience of seeing many more artists work in the first place, the onesw you're introduced to at school are often not realvent to a lot of peoples work. And also, you're still finding your style till later on too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
some avenues to perhaps explore:
damien hirst
salvidor dali
christo

these artists all played with landscape and the alteration of that landscape...

just a couple of thoughts...

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
Ay Majerstic,
well sorry to hear u have 7 weeks left at school, ive just finished last week!!! bounce
But dont let yourself get stressed out, like u said u still have 7 weeks! I only have three weeks left to study for my final tests, and today i did only one hour of study.... so im the one who should be stressing!
but im not, cause its not that big a deal...
stuff happens, life goes on
good luck dude!

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
no, its a trap!

study makes you remember that you forgot everything, then you stress!

(cowers from study)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
--------then realises the assingment is due next friday, really should start it now.............still no idea about what it will be.........and i have to print 22 pics by friday aswell, oh well, here we go........