Forums > Videos > Rev- Practice- 9-23-05

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
yes it a vid.. before you get excited, there's a few things you need to know.. thanks to hurricane rita, I cant go outside.. so I had to film indoors, where I had no room to dance.. I made this as a preface to a series of tuts I'm going to shoot on a lot of the stuff in the film: bf inversions; splithreads; sd inversions (first and second degree); utl; atl; tosses into one handed; tosses out of one handed; one handed passes, weaves, and wraps.. so I left out a lot of things like regular wraps.. (I think glowstringers need to see more poi anyway.. they see wraps all the time)

the lighting is bad... and the focus was screwed.. I still havent learned all the nifty features of my camera..

so is there any reason to watch it? yes, because you finally get to see me flow a little.. (in some places anyway)

practice (right click, save as) [10. 2 megs]

edit: now with fixed link and a bonus website..

https://www.dancecommunitycares.org/

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
learn sj's?

yep, they're on my list right after "get solid with 7 clubs"... wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
ubblol

mmmm... inversions.... very nice video! like fluff says it's great to see a full spin from you with flow between the tech! the only annoying thing was that dimness which meant i couldn't see your hands the whole time but it didn't really detract from the spinning itself and i'm pretty sure I can understand all the stuff you're doing... except for that really nice insides butterfly thing at about 2.50s. ... biggrin

if you're not gonna come live in London I reckon you should at least consider coming over for PLAY.... wink

oh, and great plug for the sphercular DVD!

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
at 2:45 I do a butterfly inversion... I think that's what you are talking about... a little bit before that I weave a splitthread back and forth on my right side a bit..

those are the next two things on my on my tut list.. along with some onehanded stuff, and the utl things..

I know I've apologized 100 times over the birghtness.. but my monitor is on its factory defaults and I can see my arms from elbow to hand the whole time.. I guess I'm not as pale as I thought I was...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Never worry about the brightness... it's just good to see it at all. BUT there are 100s of people (nearly) asking you to come over instead biggrin

Thesis? Puh, we'll help you write it when you get here biggrin

Otherwise, thanks again for posting it hug

Getting to the other side smile

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
LOL...

"I dont go places... people usually come here.."
-David "Bongwater"

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yeah. But you live in America. We're not allowed (probably) tongue

ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
lovely work dude: it's rare to see insides look soo sweet. smile Lookin forward to more!
hug

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
thanks.. glad to see this thing still inspiring after so long..

I'm trying to schedule time for another shoot, but it probably won't happen until summer..

dawn2duskBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
I want your tutoriaaaaaaals *_____________________*

Very very very wonderful (in Italian we can' t say "very wonderful", I hope in English that works, but the concept is more important biggrin)

é_è You' re all so talented... in Italy we still don' t have a "poi-culture"... then when I watch your videos I remain ---> O___O... I' m really stupified by the development of poi techniques abroad... *__*... think I have to migrate biggrin

(OT for duballstar: I was going to use your same avatar... kodama powa *__* !!!)

***Feelings are anarchist - I feel - I am an anarchist***

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
hahaha.. I love your sig.

and yes very (x3) wonderful works in english.. biggrin

isnt there somebody in italy.. umm.. hold on.. Lamek... that's it.. he had a site with some really basic poi tuturials a long time ago.. I dunno how good he was then, but I'm sure he's pretty cool by now if he wasnt before.. If he still spins even.. wow aren't I just useless.. That basically says: 'there's this guy that spun poi this one time from italy.. go find him..' lol..

ahh well..

the tuts are in the poi goes punk thread.. some of them didnt come out so good.. and I never got around to the bf inversions, splitthread, or utl stuff in that tut series because I suck ass..

but I'm always up for discussion.. so don't hesitate to ask..

dawn2duskBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
Lameks??? Wow it' s a friend of mine *__* it' s been ages since I saw him... last year in Florence at a Juggling convention... If that' s the same you' re talking about... I didn' t know he had a site O_o... We' re all registered in an Italian juggling site (giocoleria.org) and we' ve just made a series of contests and one of them was of poi... what I wanted to say is that in Italy there' s some people very very very (XD) good at poi juggling, but their number is not so big as abroad... I downloaded five or six videos from HoP yesterday, and all of them were high level :O... In the poi contest we made there are only three people at that level: a girl from Rome (she' s wonderful *_*), a guy from a town called Pavia (an hour from me), and Acciaio (uhuhuh Accia I put you into the discussion biggrin don' t be modest!!!)... Lameks was going to be that level last year, I dunno if now he reached it (he disappeared for the university)... But the fire show he, Piova (the guy from Pavia) and Acciaio made with nothing prepared first at that juggling convention last year was sparkling *__* ...
There are people in Italy, but the "culture" of poi is not so diffused (I dunno if this is the exact word), juggling here is mostly tossing balls and clubs, diabolos and so on, in our site we (Lameks, Acciaio, the girl from Rome and so on) are starting to put it on the right attention, and some very good people is starting to come out from the dark smile while in Europe and abroad this process is VVV developed. This could be only my impression, but it' s one of the topics Acciaio, me and other Italian jugglers discuss sometimes. But we' ll make our best to raise, this will be our mission cool then... swing swing swiiiiing >___< ubbrollsmile

And now... I RUN to the poi goes punk thread >_> ^__^

(you love my sig, i love your Loc. XD)

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
couldnt see it dude.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Written by: dawn2dusk

In the poi contest we made there are only three people at that level: a girl from Rome (she' s wonderful *_*)

oy! thats my missus your gettin starry eyed over! wink tho i dont blame you.

she wouldent let me enter that competition cos i never post to gioclieria.org, but only cos i can never spell the bladdy URL!

I agree the state of poi and staff spinning was pretty poor in italy about a year ago, but i was teaching peaple all last summer and Ive come back to find evryone is suddenly badass, thats really anoying biggrin

offtopic

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

dawn2duskBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
uaaaaaa I can t believe it *___* Stregai' s boyfriend!!! The world is very very little *__* !!! It' s a pity you couldn' t enter the competition frown ...

(>_> i dunno the meaning of badass... you mean they re better, or they are worse?)

(I' m a girl, don t worry for your missus : P)

>_> end of OT (^_^) mod please don' t hurt me :""(
EDITED_BY: dawn2dusk (1142256059)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
badass = very good indeed

and im not worried biggrin ubblove

and rev, i only get the soundtrack frown some exotic codec i need?

T wave

-><- Kallisti

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
wave
I'm here...ghgh...Rev knows Lamek?!?!?!?! O__O
I have heard something about him but he cannot isolate nothing yet tongue and he is not working so much on poi stuffs...

Tom when u come in Italy another time??? I need someone that can show me something about atomics!!!(have u seen our contest??)

In Italy there are many really orrible "kiwido girl" that can use only poi with tails and perform only with really basic weaves and butterfly...in this way anyone see them thinks that poi are only girl's instruments to use without any kind of tech and only while dancing excl

Ok ... for comeing back in topic(almost near... tongue) can I ask Rev to make a little vid with orbit but also with light ... the one that I've seen is wonderfull but I cannot understand how I can repeat it...

Thanks in advance!!! ubbrollsmile

Acciaio devil

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Im coming at the end of april, and will be there all summer, so if you get down to rome Im sure we can arrange some workshops.

theres going to be a ubereuro at some point too...

T wave

-><- Kallisti

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
okies.. I'll try to respond the best I can...

first to nix, and pyro- I'm sorry you guys can't watch it.. I'm even more sorry for you nix, because you got the soundtrack.. I had friends over when I was making the vid and I was singing that at the time (because it came on my winamp) and they voted it on.. I would have rathered something like Moorcheeba's trigger hippie.. but I guess that measn I can savve that for a new one..

wow.. not 2 lines into a post and I'm already off topic.. I suck.. hahah..

exotic codecs should definately not be needed.. I just uploaded the avi into windows movie maker, cut the parts I wanted, and exported as a nice small wmv.. no compression or anything.. I would try two things.. either make sure you have an updated windows media player.. (ugh? I don't recommend it, but its the most compatible thing out there with the vid format shrug) or you can try to get the klite codec pack with media player classic.. I have a link to it in my poi goes punk thread, but I'll go get it and link it here too because I'm in a good mood today..

ok so it wasnt in that thread either.. but here's the link.. if you have this you don't ever need ANY other player for ANYthing... it plays every format out there.. and its in one compact little player so you don't need all the extra wasted space of all those others players and their wanting to usurp and create conflict between playing your files.. ubblove

https://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

To my italian friends, I don't know lamek, so much as I know -of- lamek.. I learned of him, because he had a site called 'Lamek's guide to poi' like at least 2-3 years ago.. and it didnt have anything super-special on it.. I think someone made refernce to it, because google translate is HORRIBLE.. it may have gotten better now, but back then it really sucked, and so it made his site sound SOOO funny.. It made me love it soo much.. I knew I wasnt reading what he wrote, but gogles misrepresentation of it.. so please understand I wasnt laughing at him.. but it had phrases like' and once, and then, to turn the chains... here we go now to infinity.. ' That's not one of the better one's but its one that sitcks out in my head, because in a way it made poi sound so awesome.. I thought poi took us to perfection, and here he was -taking- us to infinity (whihc I know was just a weave but still.. it sounds cooler to 'go to infinity'..)

anyway.. he was pretty dedicated to helping people understand poi then, and that, in my opinion, is what good poiple do.. teaching others helps us to learn soooo much.. and so if he wasnt good then, he has to be good by now.. that's my take at least..

stregAi*member
44 posts

Posted:
Felt like I should post...

Rev, I loved your video and flow. Wish I could see that in daylight to catch some tricks properly... but yes, fire and glowy thing do the job much better ubblove
Funny, I did get the video, but no soundtrack tongue
Will look at your tutorials soon.
Thanx for sharing.

It's great to finally have more italians here hug

Dawn, true that our poi situation is a bit embarassing, compared to such a great community, but talking about it here now and having more spinners doing more than just weaves and butterflies prove that we are evolving too.

What to do, it's Italy, isn't it? It takes ages to keep up with the rest of the world... shall we blame the church? biggrin

S juggle

The adventures first! Explanations take such a dreadful time...

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I thought it was because you guys were so chilled out and laid back and 'ride motorscooters.. ciao'..

sorry had to tack on some eddie izzard at the end..

I wouldnt worry about where you are in relation to the world.. its about drawing interest.. and for a long time there just wasnt that much interest in poi in a lot of places.. there's still not much interest here in louisiana.. so its all relative..

besides.. its not what you know.. but how you use it that matters..

dawn2duskBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
Stregaiiiii *___* ubblove ubblove ubblove yeah, now there are some more Italian people here and that' s a very good sign smile we' ll change our nation cool

hug hug hug

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
pyro and nix- did that fix the problem?

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Sweet video mate, that's the first time i've seen nice relaxed glostick spinning. I've totally adopted your inversion style into my repetoire. Working very nicely, thanks for sorting that out for me. Nice to finally understand how tangles relate to everything else.

Will be good when we finally get these tuts up huh. i'm back in christchurch now with interweb so will be in touch about sphism et al soon.

Nice plug at the end BTW wink

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Page: