PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Prom and I were hanging at the mall, looking for leather (Got some great stuff on clearance) and Diablos and Devil Sticks (Didn't find any we likes). Our search took us into the Discovery Store. THough they didn't have what we were looking for the guy wanted to show us the Zuni that were on sale. He pulls them from this bag and I got all giddy...comet poi but they had bean bag heads instead of tennis balls. He goes to show me how to use them...and I let him. He can do circles at his sides and a bit of forward split time at the sides. It took me down memeory lane. Then he hands them to me and tells me to try....hehehehehehe smile.I had *never* used anything that had a built in tail before but they weren't that much different so I do this freestyling stuff and when I open my eyes the poor guy is standing there with his mouth hanging open and a group of people had gathered and applauded. I tried to teach him a bit of stuff, pointed him in this boards direction and told him about the meet we are hopefully planning for these parts. He said that he'd like to work out a way for me to come in, do a mini-performance and then some entry level lessons at the store, and possibly a few others in the area, Though I don't fancy myself as a teacher it'd be fun. He also mentioned possibly sponsoring the meets by way of store advertisement and such. I am going back to talk with him on Friday. Couldn't believe it. I am so happy I thought I would share smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks Malcolm. smile I have to admit I didn't really think a whole lot of the Zuni. Maybe for beginners who don't intend on fire???The manager at the store told me that they have had a few come unknotted and the original set he pulled out had the attachment loop (the one in the head itself) pulling right out of it due to poor stitching. Maybe these were isolated incedents. I don't know. And the "unique hook" seems to be something my dad has in his fishing kit. They had a nice flow and sound though. I just thought that my walking into someplace and them offering me this was pretty cool.I'll be doing more research before I represent Zuni, as I feel I have to believe in the product to represent it, but "teaching" very basic intro poi is a whole 'nother topic!!! grin That I get excited over!BTW...I received your additional donations to the relay. Very nice. Thank you. I liked the comets...they are just so different from fire poi!!!!! smile Takes some getting used to on my part! Prom enjoyed the staff, and had to get used to it as well (It's thicker and heavier than what we use). Both are great additions to the relay box!!!!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
*teeheehee...plotting to head to a discovery shop near me!*

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hey Pele, that reminds me of my starting of Poi. Last september, after going to Burning Man and learning the basics in what I didn't even know what to call, I came back to Boston and I HAD to find those things. After trying toy stores, gadget stores, kids stores and others, I finally found the Zuni Poi at the.... Discovery Store! I still use them to practise and when I'm not lighting up. They're great for beginners but I have to say I broke the stitching on one.Maybe I should go back to the store and see if they're "hiring"....nomad

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
WOW Pele smileYou should go for the teaching, I do it just for fun, and donate my time to the local elementery. Everyone seems to like it, but not to many are going to do Fire wink If you have got the store to back you up, I say go for it smile I have to go out and buy tennise balls and string for my students, but it is fun to teach and learn. I'm intrested in the Zuni, myself. I think they are cool to practice with outside, in the day time. And we get a lot of Daylight in Alaska (23Hours in the summer)Some of my students already have them, and some want them.Melcolm mabe we can work out a deal smile My e-mail is skichristian@hotmail.com You have sent a little about the lazor pois, and I have them, but they are Not for begginers winkGood Luck, and Happy SpinningSkiChristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey there guys,Funny I should stumble upon all this because I am currently working for Infinity toys, selling the Zunis! I just went out to do a convention in Cincinnati two weeks ago and am planning a summer tour of festivals, and hoping hoping hoping to get to do Solipse in Africa. (check this out if you haven't seen it at www.solipse.com) We are always looking for performers and definitely might need some help this summer in the Northeast. It's hard to find people around these parts. You can email me at ladyjsk@yahoo.com to chat or whatever. I'm always up for a good spin. Take care, later, jenny