Forums > Social Chat > Audience at spin meets?

Login/Join to Participate

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to get a local spin meet together in my home town. When I go out with boyf to local park all the local kids (and some adults)come over and tho most are really friendly/interested some can get really nasty. Although I try to ignore the netgative vibes it spoils the experience.Does anyone else have any experience of this and/or advice to offer on how to deal with it. I think if it was a regular meet the locals would get used to it and then leave it alone what do you think?Onelove, Thistlefirepixie smile

Are we nearly there yet?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Well, it depends. What's the nature of the nastiness? What's their complaint? They may have some legitimate concern about fire close to their homes or the safety of others using the park, especially if there's kids around, or the park itself. The more you can show them how professional you are (very controlled skill, defined safety personnel, equipment, procedures) the better. Show also that you're addressing the kids properly about safety, like keeping a safe distance from the performers and a very strong "don't try this at home" message. With lots of communication and respect, you may be able to create a cooperative or at least accepting atmosphere. Best of luck, Diana

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Hi ThistleBy 'nasty', I am presuming you mean people who are not into peace and love and prefer 10 pints in the pub followed by a brawl.I am dreading going home and having to face all the louts and ignorant people who start on you for no reason. I would imagine that the fact that you are doing something different prompts this nastiness, God forbid a little bit of individuality should be seen around. With this kind of person, all I can say to you is ignore it, and I'm sorry that you have to experience this negativity.If the complaint is about fire safety, then Diana gave superb advice.Good luckKat

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Thanks Diana & Kat. The nastiness is of the *I don't understand peace & love* variety. Verbal abuse and that kind of thing. I can't spin at my house anymore cos I get called "a f****ing gyppo!" or worse & my daughter gets hassle.Peace & love smileThistlefirepixie

Are we nearly there yet?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Ah, now I see. All I can say on this topic is something I'm not very good at but people I know do very well with. It's been called transforming energy. I've seen a friend on mine, when we got some negativity on the street, turn around, stand and smile at these people. She managed to change their negativity into positivity. She took in their energy as if it were possitivity. It was like she filtered all the negativity out of it. She stood there and they just shut up. They didn't even know why they shut up. They looked so confused. It was quite amazing to see. I think it's something about recognizing that energy is energy, attention is attention. It's something like how people may act out to get energy. That negative energy does something for them. I guess it's about harnassing that. I tend to take an action I learned from non-violence training. Do what they don't expect you to do? People that want to harass or victimize tend to have a "script" in their head, an preconcieved idea of how their interaction with you is going to go. If you can tap into that, see what their expectation is a go against it, they won't know what to do. I was assaulted by a guy in the metro once. He had some territorial issue with where I was sitting on the platform. He expected me to run away. I didn't. He wanted to get into a verbal argument with me. I wouldn't. When I stood my ground, or sat my ground as it were, and continually told him, "I'm waiting for the train.", he didn't know what to do. He walked away. I don't know if this blathering helps at all. It's not an easy row to how. They all have different ways, different expectations. Please don't let it get to you too much. Don't get into ego battles with them. Come from love as much as you can. Diana

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Well said DianaThistle, it might be difficult, but refuse to let these people and their ignorance get you down, Instead you should feel sad for them, and remember that you are doing something that you love and that they don't have that for themselves. If you don't want to take a passive stance, you could 'challenge' these bullies. Invite them to have a go with some practice poi and tell them how they will see how what a fun hobby it is even though it takes a lot of practice and determination.You could end up converting them to Poi and I think when people have something positive to focus on in their lives they really do become nicer people.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i have very similar problems but it is usually people being ignorant of warnings and plating with the spare equptment while i am on fire..

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hi ThereSorry to butt in But I can relate to these experiances. My Mother told me when I was young that evil is like Moths, and Moths are attracted to the light. Fire is one of the most powerful lights there are, and you get a lot of moths in a crowd. Some are not as evil as others but they are there. I think its funny however, when I finnish a show, that every one wants to hug or use some sort of way to tap into my energy. You get a lot of Energy Flowing while spinning, and every one wants it. I spin for myself! I have gone into the woods and spun fire alone because I love the euforia! winkIts one of the altimate ways for me to meditate, although I do use other methods that are more peaceful, spinning Fire gives me something diffrent. Do you agree?SkiChristian So like I was saying, Don't let Moths dampen your light, Let your light shine! grin

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I guess holding our meets in the "hippy" part of sydney helps us not to be harrassed, but we still get the occassional "go to byron" remarks from idiots in cars.Generally though, no problems, we are around the corner from the fire station and the police station and although they often slow down and look out the car, they have never come and hassled us at all.Most people walking through the park are just fascinated and stop and watch.We also have psytrance music blaring away and neighbours and the pub across the road have not had any complaints and never any hassles from us.We make sure that all rubbish is cleaned up before we leave and our noise level is suitable for the time we are there.Being responsible for your actions shows them you can be trusted.I mean verbal abuse is something that, being a girl, ive had to endure pretty much since puberty and have just learnt to let it wash over me... like diana said, if u take the opposite stance to what they think u will, they will more often that not leave u alone, if not then walk away and if the problem continues you can always make a complaint about them to the police if its that bad.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

vyvyanjourneyman
92 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmmm, working so much in nightclubs as i do i get alot of hassel potential, but like Diana said, i deflect the 'attention' and try to make it positive, sometimes its really easy, sometimes not. One particular incident stands out when a guy was heckling me (probably cos i was a threat to him-doing something amazing on the street- just gotta bag it mentality) and he wouldnt give it up so i invited him to become part of the show, said if you swallow fire, I will salut you as a very brave man, and i said this real loud then turned to the audience (most of his mates- thats why he felkt confident enough to hassel me - big man!) and yelled, "whadder you reckon, can he do it?!!!" and it was all over for him. His mates wouldnt let him back down, and i said come on, you siad its easy, prove it! and he did! he was shitting himself , i made him get down on his knees, told him what to do and very carefully (made it look like a dramatic fire swallow) did a very very lame swallow, and all his mates cheered, and he shook my hand, thanked me profusely and left!!! a great eg of negativity turned into positive. Now before anyone freaks out about how dangerous that was, i know, but i have been teaching fire swallowing for 3 yrs and do that shit all the time with other members of fireworks. it was a calculated risk. Also i was freaking out about getting heckled so much. Usually its on stage-off-stage but i have to say, street performance is the hardest of all.

...Firebreathing? Magic is only part of it my friend, diet does the rest!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
WoW Kerri,I would love to eat Fire! tongue I have a lot of heclers, and I got discuraged for a while but I know they are just jelous. I have a real graceful and from the heart show, and when guys watch it they say lots of mean things, I a NOT Gay, and love the opposite Sex. I just have a sentual way of spinning wink I don't feel comfertable giving my pois to some stranger hecling me, What should I do? (i want to knock them out with a flamming poi) grin I am itrested in the fire eating though smileSkiChristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hmm... I think it is important to know you are going to be able handle any negativity thrown at you. I haven't experienced ppl hassling me because I'm playing with fire - more the opposite. Even when I know there are certain negative people in a crowd (doesn't anybody smile anymore when someone smiles at them!?!?!?!?wtf) - I can see they're still *watching* it so they must be getting even a bit of enjoyment out of it (some masks are just so easy to see through). It reminds me of when I was a spoilt child and how I used to act when I was about four years old. It's sad that these people haven't 'grown up'.I mean seriously they might insult you but if they really didn't like what they were seeing wouldn't they just leave?Working in strip clubs has seemingly desensitised me to a lot of heckling, hassling and some mayhem (funnily enough.) You don't have to answer to these people for anything and staying calm, polite and as objective as you can about the situation really helps. Just so long as they aren't gonna drag you off in their car at the end of the night.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Good Point Splat, Point well taken! smileThanks,skichristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!