Page:
arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ok. so i realize the word nigger encapsulates all that is wrong with the world. racism is evil. but steve martin's scene from the jerk was not racist.

this obviously stupid italian guy is talking to steve ( who was raised by poor african americans) about blacks moving on to a certain area. the italian guy calls them "niggers" and steve martin rips off his robe, screams "i AM a nigger!" and proceeds to go kung fu on them. the word in this context is actually a symbol of white folks jumping in to the battle and not putting up with racism.

i suppose i'm okay that people felt the need to censor on this site yet again. in fact i'm okay with people not liking racism. but please pick your fights appropriately. and yes i find this trend disturbing. why not ask people to clarify before jumping to conclusions and censoring the thread? you've missed out on a great piece of humor i believe wink

and if the thread was censored because i was making fun of honkys...

well...

sorry but you're going to have to keep censoring me because i'll never stop biggrin

EDITED_BY: arashi (1127470469)

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ah-ha! (Charles, Nx?... surely malcolm? for the getting here bit?)

Thanks malcom, of course these things happen. Just got weird when it disapeered for so long.....

smile Thanks for responding

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
thanks newgabe, that's what I meant, you said it better than I could

smile

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Thanks Malcolm smile I was utterly confused and had no idea what the uproar was about! smile

On behalf of the mods, I'm sorry for not showing up in this thread and addressing your queries earlier, but as Malcolm mentioned we can't read everything, so if there is ever a query please contact us directly with the 'notify moderator' button and we will be with you shortly.

But you guys have a point, and one that I try my hardest to adhere to: it's important that thread authors be notified if their creation is deleted/moved/edited.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks Malcolm and flash smile

Hi newgabe, don’t take this the wrong way as it’s for clarification, but when you say: “I am "pretty sure" that indigenous Australians prefer not to be called 'blacks' or even 'Aborigines' but by local terms which are more congruent with their own identifications. eg, Koori in the south, Murri in Queensland, or even more locally specific terms according to the land they come from. I think the same is true for Melanesians in the Asia Pacific regions, Southern India etc.” Have you ever asked any of theses peoples what they prefer to be called?

I mean being “pretty sure” is one thing, but it doesn’t convey any consultation. So, is this just another case of a political correct imposition of what white folks think indigenous Australians should be called?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hi Stone,

Good question smile no offence taken at all... prepare here for a full and frank disclosure of the consultation process!

In my long distant youth, I spent 2 years living in India and became very aware of the precision with which people there define and describe themselves and others in terms of caste, 'native place', language and religion. I thought it was a bit silly as I was in my 'cosmic citizen' young hippie peace phase.

When I came back to Australia in 1992, after lots of years in London, I came across Murri Radio. I wasn't familiar with the term, but I was impressed with the station, so I phoned them and had quite a chat with one of their managers about the whole issue of 'racial' identifications, names etc. He explained it to me exactly as I put in my post, and opened my eyes enormously to the dignity of being able to 'name yourself'.

Then I got involved with BEMAC (Brisbane Ethnic Music and Arts Centre) where such discussions were frequent...and where, ironically, I found myself in the parallel position. One particular time I found being described as "Anglo" was quite offensive, and that led to even more chats with people about 'lumping' by 'ethnic'/'racial' characteristics and the value of acknowledging people's own sense of history and belonging. For instance, there are lots of people around who identify and are accepted as indigineous people although they look 'white'.

(I am putting 'race' in inverted commas because some of my recent reading has indicated that the whole idea of 'race' is a genetic furphy.)

Since then I did short courses on 'cross cultural counselling' and 'indigenous therapies' that touched on identification..(and a lot more on generational grief...) Then worked for a few years with the people who organised the Murri program at Woodford Folk Festy...and more recently the Dreaming Festival. From that I've learned a bit about how to 'describe', when that is deemed necessary. For the other groups I mentioned, less consultation to be sure eg chats with an acquaintance from the Solomons about being of 'mixed' race, about the implications of how people name and so on...having a number of friends from the Middle east.

So, in saying 'pretty sure' I was partly being mimsy and also trying to follow the practice of not, indeed, speaking for other people. After all are many folks about who LOVE being called 'black!' eg the Blackrobats, a terrific kid's performance/gymnastics troupe... or people who glory in the redemption of the term...like USA folks might say 'nigger' with a positive spin...

OK, Thanks for asking! Gotta get back to work now!

hug

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks newgabe, that explains a lot.

Perhaps, many of us “new chums” lost our cultural/tribal identifications when we were transported to Australia.

cheers

beerchug

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
OK my faith is restored in humanity. misunderstandings are a much better reason to censor me biggrin

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"...what meg said earlier..."

umm

ubblol

biatch...

(And after I posted a lovely pic of a staff girly just for you tongue)

smile

Getting to the other side smile

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
**pretends to be durbs**

(just for consistancy you understand)

ooo claire - ***insert bad pervy comment here****

i think you find that Mr 2bags was sat with MCP when that was being typed..........his fault.......not hers........ trust me wink

I mean think about it - who would notice something like that - a lonley old somewhat jelous 2bags or MCP cool

c'mon biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol

That makes more sense... humblest apologies to the lady.

Yeush. I miss you guys. hug

Belfast is full of dull things and tax returns frown

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
excuse me? strugz, how dare you direct your misspelt missives at me.

i have no more control over what mcp types, then you appear to have over what you type.

had i been in control of the post i would have been flirting with firepoise, not reprimanding durbs. i think you'll find that my fantasies involve both of them ubblove.

and you should watch who you're calling old, because i'm on the right side of twenty-five and you ain't.

tongue

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
**looks at watch**

doh! - hes right!

ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
happy bday dude!!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
rolleyes

Does anyone have any recommendations for non-fire costumes to keep you warm while spinning in the freezing cold?

These look nice biggrin

Non-Https Image Link

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I don't know why thats on this thread firepoise... but those weird ski-suit thingys people wear when they ski (Too bad I don't know names heh i'm useless!) come in all kinds of colours and patterns and are quite warm. And, er, also quite skin tight, which means you can wear stuff over them if you so desire, or, not tongue

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: MCP

I would rather just classify them by country, lump them all together and make blatent stereotypes of them. When I meet somebody I then forget all of these stereotypes because each person is individual, and they need individual stereotypes, like mutant-chested smurf boy.

i would add that I consider meeting someone, the same as chatting to them on HOP.
But thats exactly what I feel too in all honesty.

smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*takes his clothes off and runs round going "Woo hoo!" like Daffy Duck*

That cleared that up smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
has anyone noticed the dramatic increase in oldskool hoppers post whoring since the post counts got removed?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yep,

Though i put it down to all the pheromones released at the various spinny gatherings.

Arashi is clearly in love with meg wink

Love is the law.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol

/end whoring wink

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
End the whoring? No!

That wasn't criticism, it was a joyous observation ubblol

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
oh......... in that case....

biggrin

lets contunue then.........

so Arishi loves Meg ...........

shes going to be thrilled to hear it, im going home shortly to pick her up and go for a spin before dropping her to the airport........ ill be sure to pass on this fine news ubblol

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
can you pass on a hug from me to her please?
Then take one for yourself too.

kiss

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
kiss

consider it done dude hug

twice!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
meg is well aware she can love me for a starting rate of $20 depending on inflation rates and gold fluctuations.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
In fairness - I think old skoolers are just happy to post whore when they know a thread has lost the point and is probably going to sink into oblivion.

There's a little newbie in all of us.

(3 in 2Bags's case - the police have been called)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
goddamn! $20!

you OWE me! to think i gave you $550 and got so little REAL love!

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
awwwww...

Uberlove

ubblove

Love is the law.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
what it's only "real" if there's no carrots involved? you told me you needed the fiber.

next time, pumpkin, you can use the stirrups.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

In fairness - I think old skoolers are just happy to post whore when they know a thread has lost the point and is probably going to sink into oblivion.

that egg is a chicken i tell you!

i think sometimes, the old skoolers' post whoring can *causes* a thread to die and sink into oblivion.

its post whoring at its best though - often used to defuse heated debate and it should be respected solely for the fact that being exceedingly off topic isn't easy... wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: