Page:
arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ok. so i realize the word nigger encapsulates all that is wrong with the world. racism is evil. but steve martin's scene from the jerk was not racist.

this obviously stupid italian guy is talking to steve ( who was raised by poor african americans) about blacks moving on to a certain area. the italian guy calls them "niggers" and steve martin rips off his robe, screams "i AM a nigger!" and proceeds to go kung fu on them. the word in this context is actually a symbol of white folks jumping in to the battle and not putting up with racism.

i suppose i'm okay that people felt the need to censor on this site yet again. in fact i'm okay with people not liking racism. but please pick your fights appropriately. and yes i find this trend disturbing. why not ask people to clarify before jumping to conclusions and censoring the thread? you've missed out on a great piece of humor i believe wink

and if the thread was censored because i was making fun of honkys...

well...

sorry but you're going to have to keep censoring me because i'll never stop biggrin

EDITED_BY: arashi (1127470469)

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
hey dude i hear ya.......

and agree..........but whats that got to do with a staff move wink

Apart from "steve" i see no other connection ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
confused

What the hell is he talking about?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i get ya dude

steve martin ain't racist, and the jerk totally rules cool

but i'm quite surprised the n word isn't automatically censored

but i don't think that was the sole issue anyhoo. Some elements of discussion that were meant in perfectly good faith in that thread were making me feel uncomfortable.

As ludwig wittgenstein said (in german, and meaning something completely different):

Written by: ludwig

whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Oh so that's what the 'other' thread was censored for! I wondered if out of plane girly Australians had become an unmentionable phenomenon!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
uncomfortable? i think that meg and i enjoy "heckling proper" and no one should take it very seriously. hence the constant disclaimers! i don't remember anyting even being said that someone could take offence to though confused just seems like we were using a pretext of humor while discussing differences in spinners confused

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Has something been deleted?

Was arashi wowing everyone with his sharp and cutting Texan wit?

Damn, did I miss something vaguely interesting?

smile

Getting to the other side smile

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I actually thought it had gotten cencosored on the basis of you saying you got 5% black added to you when you took one of your classes.....

But thats cause it was the only thing I could think of that might have been racist?

I'd actually like to know, tbh, what happened, but it seems to me that the mods/admins having to pm everyone would be annoying and posting it would just bring everything back?

Sim, er, mind telling us what was making you uncomfortable? Or even satisfying my curiosity (i SUCK at not offending people) by pm if not here?

ta, interesting guys....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Im sure there was some mention of 'Poi' and worse still.....Juggling!!! wink

Love is the law.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
*gaasp* we would never stoop to juggling talk!!
*shudder*

seriously, did i miss something here?? meg where have you gone? it's not like you have a life and are out partying.

censor the bloody thread for the communicationally challenged wraiths and get it back up or we'll start talking about the finer points of contactless staff tricks on your threads.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hehehehe.

That's fightin' talk.

(But what do I know? I shouldn't even be here. Staff is for girls)

Edit: See biggrin

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: Firepoise (1127573528)

Getting to the other side smile

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Er... er.... what did i eff*n miss? Surely you're female?
Now I'm starting to think I'm hallucinating on top of everything else.....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Who's that sexy cartoon. I dig her...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Written by: arashi

*gaasp* we would never stoop to juggling talk!!
*shudder*

seriously, did i miss something here?? meg where have you gone? it's not like you have a life and are out partying.

censor the bloody thread for the communicationally challenged wraiths and get it back up or we'll start talking about the finer points of contactless staff tricks on your threads.

second that,

there was one of my favriot posts i made in the last few months on there, or at least i think it was, i was gonna go back and read it, but i cant, and if its been moved, where the hell is it?

seriously, was there complaints or sommit? molto strano.

or was it trolling? in which case why wasnt the post deleted and not the whole thread moved for this long term surgery?

was the thread just oo irrevelently thought provoking?

bring back guff! it was my favriot thread for ages.

Poo and Boo and Other Harmless Steriotypes

T frown

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Sigmund Freud argues that jokes allow for the expression of subjects that are taboo in general discourse.

As an Australian, I think you gotta laugh at politically incorrect humour. In many ways, humour helps breakdown the barriers between cultures, and there seems to be whole genera of ethnic comedy out there. Like, Were a Weird Mob (60’s) to Wogs out of Work (80’s) and Hung Le’s Vietnamese comedy like Black and Tran (90’s).

Back to the chase from “White Men Can’t Jump” umm dance?

Now mr arashi, hold on to your nickers wink but not all non-honkies can dance and some honkies can dance. For me, the difference between sport/martial arts and dance is syncopation. Perhaps you meant the original rhythms come from africa. Like ska, reggae, hip hop, jungle, and dub have Jamaican roots, which evolved rhythmically by absorbing African and Caribbean rhythms.

Written by:

When you take dancing lessons, you learn steps and you learn steps and you learn steps. It can go on for a long time. And then one day, you just learn to dance, and it is so different. --Bill Austin

ubbrollsmile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
from africa.....

id like to see some 12/8 coreogrphy.....

weird atractors anyone???

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Miss that point Nx? This is kinda what I meant.

“Some genres of music make different use of rhythm than others. Most Western music is based on divisive rhythm, while non-Western music uses more additive rhythm. African music makes heavy use of polyrhythms, and Indian music uses complex cycles such as 7 and 13, while Balinese music often uses complex interlocking rhythms. By comparison, a lot of Western classical music is fairly rhythmically simple; it stays in a simple meter such as 4/4 or 3/4 and makes little use of syncopation (Wikipedia).”

wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
you know it's funny but i talked about this in my uberpoi choreography workshop. we didn't have enough time to really get into it though. i'm really into beat signatures and polyrythms.

i'm starting into 13/8 lately. been working with 9/8 for a while.

weird attractors are a rockin band from edinburgh who play around with this stuff.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
HOLY [censored] [censored]! ! ! !
What the [censored] has been going on while I've been in london and bristol?

My [censored] god! This is immense, this is the most mentalist thing to happen ever on hop during my membership and I started the thread! Then I go and miss the ending!

DAMN!

I didn't see anything after my last post... anybody care to enlighten me?| And what was your post Nx? ?

??

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
weird attractors are a band; that explains it. That's Eedinburgh Scotland, not North Fitzroy wink

I’m looking forward to uberpoi oz. It should be fun, and from what I can gather a challenge.

I also missed the last post, mcp. I thought you were going to come in spinner, and explain wot happend. In the mean time, we seem to have spun on.

cheers smile

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
confused Meg we were hoping you would enlighten us as it seems you were the one who took it down. is there nobody who knows what's going on? i think it was a pipe dream to expect coherent thought from meg.
the thread has just been deleted with no explanation? surely a moderator is somehow involved at this point? can we not just delete substantially offensive material and move on? i wanna pick on staffers some more biggrin hug

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I was away the whole time no internet access during the past week and a bit! I demand a moderator either:

Tell us wtf is going on,

or give me a verbal dressing down. (me or the responsible party, or both)

We're come up with a new heckle, whenever someone spins badly, we just shout: "I like your atomics!"

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol another 2bags delicassy?

i'll tell you WTF is going on. firepoise is now a man. sorry uberboys. there's a version of you (if you were hot) with a magical "staff" posted as an intro to the finer points of how body wraps, btb circles, and other non contact oriented staff moves can really stylistically add to a spinner's repertoire provided they have enough sense to do something besides fishtails and matrixes.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I think jokes are fine amongst mates when they know the context and the person telling the joke. I'm not sure that jokes told to everyone on the hop board is like telling jokes to your mates. There are some people in the world offended by being called black and would prefer not to be, and would prefer to be identified with their indigineous culture. so a claim that someone can be made 5% blacker, is pretty offensive if you come from my part of the country. so yeah, I was certainly uncomfortable with elements of the discussion... frown

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
eek damn there goes another prospective student frown wink ubblol

sorry, it was meant in good fun. not quite sure how it's offensive to imply that you could have some black in ya though... don't we all have black in us already? africa has a great culture, and i think we could all benefit from their culture's wisdom. but in the end it's not meant as serious. i was going on the old adage of "white folks got no rhythm"

correct me if i'm wrong here, but it seems now like the thread was censored not because i was misunderstood to be a racist, but because some people have problems with my inference that they could become something they have problems with... not what i was expecting!

seriously, you guys have that much of a problem with black folks, that you would delete our thread? jesus. i don't mind offending you too much. i apologize for insulting you, and i'll try to avoid doing so when i can since this is a public forum, but at the same time i'd rather you didn't talk to me in the first place. i love africa and it's culture, as i love all cultures, and i am white. so rather than censor my conversations with people, why don't you just keep out of our thread. i'd rather continue to live a racist free lifestyle and make my own fun assuming that others aren't as well.

but if we can't discuss these issues, if they are just censored away, how do we come to understandings?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Nobody should do anything but fishtails and matrixes for at least the first week of them picking up a staff, then they can move on to more advanced moves. There's gotta be a progression y'know? You can't just skip to the hard stuff!

White people are an ethnic minority too! (on a global basis.)

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
hmm. an ethnic minority that not that long ago subjugated large sections of many other ethnic minorities in order to facilitate economic growth.
Nothing to do with us personally, (though it could easily be argued we continue to reap the rewards that the economics of slavery gave us...) but i reckon that does mean that for a few generations more, white people have to spend some time in a politically correct "sin bin".

eg: Avoiding race-related humor, particularly when the audience is lacking in ethnic diversity (eg, a bunch of honkys). Not because it's wrong, but because it's not politic or in good taste.

nice quartertime atomics, meg tongue

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Not all africans identify with the word black, either. Evem just tp take you directly where you're working from (and I see what you're saying) some people don't understand the connection. (Additionally, I think a fair number of people are offended by the white people can't dance thing, which altho its taken as all but a fact in america, might not be elsewhere, but thats seperate)

Had an interesting expirience this past weekend, there was a girl from Kenya at a conference with my friend (at a reasonable prestigious american university) and they had everyone fill out a litte survey at the end, which included a box for race. She read thru the choices, checked "other" and wrote out her entire tribal history. When she went up to turn in it they looked at her, looked at it, and said "no no, you're black." she argued politely with them for a few minutes (it turns out she'd not even known what the term meant at first). But even after the explanation she was quite upset at their attempt to call her "black" as she "quite clearly" was this more complex thing she had written.

I think on an international scale black might just not communicate what you want it to (That particular story is more extreme, but not the onlly instance i know where the meaning you want gets lost.)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
most of us still have no idea why this entire thread was deleted and not just the offending posts (if that was the reson it was removed) frown

there was a lot of great discussion in it and i don't understand why it was removed with no explanation...

shrug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Um, not all 'black' people are from Africa. Ade says he's from some part of Australia. The word 'blacks' here has historically been used in a similarly derogatory way to the word n*gger in the US, which was replaced by Afro-Americans by the word 'black' as a positive move. But here it's a different progression. I am pretty sure that indigenous Australians prefer not to be called 'blacks' or even 'Aborigines' but by local terms which are more congruent with their own identifications. eg, Koori in the south, Murri in Queensland, or even more locally specific terms according to the land they come from. I think the same is true for Melanesians in the Asia Pacific regions, Southern India etc.

Also a lot of the discrimination historically here was also expressed in 'percentages' of 'blackness'. Severe pass laws, (think of Apartheid), wage thefts, denials of rights were very strong here till recently and were legally justified by / associated with judgements about 'percentage of black'.

So, Arashi, I don't think Ade's comment is at all about 'white' folks not wanting to be 'black. I think it is reflecting Australian history and situations that most people outside this country would not know about.

Hope that helps further understandings... smile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
who are white people anyway? Does that include scandinavians, or arabs esque people or the russians? Surely all white people aspire to be scandinavian! But can those nordic folk dance?

Page: