Seaweed_SpriteSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
I decided to order some poi online, but I don't know what length to get. I can choose from 16 to 20 inches. I measured the actual length from my fingertips to my armpit (that might have been wrong already) but it was 26 inches. 16 seems awfully short....but maybe not. Anyone have any helpful hints for me?
wink Shpanks

But on the other hand, you have different fingers

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hint number one:
Do a search biggrin

Hint number two:
You can shorten long chains mid-spin
You can't lenghten short chains mid-spin

But the first hint's the best wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

34 posts

Posted:
hehe thanks

For some reason i suck with searches(as in not being able to find stuff), but I will do my bestest
*dodges thrown fire poi* lol

34 posts

Posted:
Okay, I did do a couple searches. I came up with that some people like longer poi and some people like shorter poi. hehe
I am gonna do a few more measurements on myself and try to do a good guesstimation as best as I can.
After buying it, I don't want to have to modify it......just play biggrin
Thanks for the tips on wrapping the chains, that might come in handy just to tweak some moves a little smile

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'd say go with the longer chain. At the very least it'll give you nice long flowing spins that look pretty (the shorter the chain, the faster the spin) and can help with figuring out planes.

If you want to see how well chain shortening can be achieved, and what affect it can give, check out Yuta's video in the video forum. He shortens it seamlessly in various parts.

Also, remember that the handles, connectors and weight will add length to the chain (it's not really specific if the length you mentioned was just for the chain or overall poi length), so a 20 inch chain can hit the 26 mark, depending on the setup.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

34 posts

Posted:
While I'm at it with the irritating questions lol, I read alot on peoples suggestions for finger loops (like a good girl). I think I would go with leather, but I'm interested in the double finger loops.
So.....which do you guys think would be better (in your opinion) Single loop leather strap or a double loop nylon strap? (those are my two options). If there was an option for a double loop leather, I'd probably go for that one

I have come to the conclusion that I am over analyzing this WAY to much lol "just buy the damn poi already!!!!" I find myself saying to myself
What can I say, I'm poor hehe. Need to get the right kind first, cause it's gonna be my only pair for a while biggrin

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
I would hope your chain can be detached from your grip. If so, then go for the leather and buy a separate double leather loop later.

Double loops tend to be more secure than single loops, unless the single loop is long enough that you can thread it through three fingers, which tends to be the most secure. By secure I refer to the possibility of it slipping off your fingers. I like the long single loop, personally, but it could be tough getting the right length unless you make it yourself.

Leather is generally more durable than nylon, as well as more comfortable, but it depends on the leather. I'd say, buy reusable components, then you can always upgrade or modify.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

34 posts

Posted:
I went with the leather ones smile
My brand spankie new poi should be here......sometime in the future lol
Thanks everyone for your help kiss

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I realise this response is a little late, but I think depends a fair bit on your style. I used to use _really_ long chains when I started learning, I only really did weave, butterfly and some corkscrews at the time. I now use much shorter poi with a bit of weight at the handle end so I can do throws. I think longer chains and reasonably heavy ends are good for learning as it's easier to spin smoothly. Socks are a great way to start (and cheap too!). I wish I'd learnt using socks filled with popcorn instead of tennis balls (much less painful!).

Just because poi are shorter doesn't mean they _have_ to spin faster. You can still spin them slow smile

Cake or Death?

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Socks are a great way to start (and cheap too!). I wish I'd learnt using socks filled with popcorn instead of tennis balls (much less painful!).

Heh.. yeah, I'm shocked when folks mention to use a tennis ball when learning poi. Those things *hurt*!! I'm a big fan of bean/rice bags thrown in a pair of socks.

Written by:

Just because poi are shorter doesn't mean they _have_ to spin faster. You can still spin them slow

True enough, but, since I'm still a newbie to spinning, I generally have to think about everything I'm doing. So, if I'm actively thinking about slowing down the spin when my poi are shortened, I usually have less time to think about what my planes are doing. And besides, bad form tends to be magnified with longer chains and obscured by shorter ones (in my practice sessions anyway).

jinvincibleGOLD Member
king of the hedgehogs
125 posts

Posted:
I personally size my chain so that it when holding the poi with my arm relaxed at my side, there is a little less than 1" clearance (25mm for you metric folk) from the floor - it allows for big loops without bouncing poi off the ground.

Just a thought.

Yellow and blue make green.