Forums > Social Chat > Song Covers, the rare gems, and the dismal failures

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ah yes covers, everyone wants to cover a song and hit sucsess a second or third time, but rarely does it happen. Theres a few that are better though, and theres a hell of alot wich are crap.

I think Frou Frou's Holding Out for A Hero is MUCH better than Bonnie Tylers. Bonnie cant sing! haha. Frou Frou's is a modern up to date version, more stylish.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Of course, it's that manly voice of his... tongue Tom Waits couldn't hold a candle to him, but will probably be drunk enough to drop the candle and set him on fire...

Back on topic - Dsico That No Talent Hack's electro-clash cover of 'Smells like Teen Spirit' which kinda sounds FAR too much like Fischerspooner's 'Emerge'

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
Evergreen Terrace covering Smashing Pumpkins "Zero" was excellent in my opinion.

The worst cover I've ever heard goes to Avril Lavigne for her poor attempt at Metallica's "Fuel".

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Mark Ronsons reworked version of "Radiohead - Just" is a bit special as is the Coldplay cover he's got on his myspace at the moment.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Seye

Mark Ronsons reworked version of "Radiohead - Just" is a bit special as is the Coldplay cover he's got on his myspace at the moment.

Not too keen on that one, a bit too much like the original. Though I found out the guy who sings on it is Alex Green...something... Singer of Phantom Planet and played the bully in 'Donnie Darko'

Oslunde's version of 'Everything in its Right Place' has a different more tribal vibe that differentiates it from the original.

On a different note - this one HAS to be heard to be believed...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Why has nobody mentioned the Easy Star All Stars yet?

And cos I'm a pedant, Motorhead doing "Motorhead" by Hawkwind.

Also fine:
The Stranglers "Walk on By"
The Dickies "Banana Splits Theme" and "Paranoid"
Soft Cell "Tainted Love"
Laibach's "Final Countdown" is an absolute hoot
Scooter "Rebel Yell"
PWEI "Love Missile f1-11" (can I get away with "Candyiosis" too?)
Grateful Dead "Not Fade Away"

But the worst ever was a dance version of Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana" that I had to perform to once...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Was the Apoptygma Berzerk psytrance version (Called 'Love Never Dies')?

Written by: PinkNigel

Achem... tongue

Written by: Neon_Shaolin

*Easystar AllStars - a reggae band who do covers of whole albums - responsible of 'Dub Side of the Moon'.

On their 'Radiodread' album (a cover of OK Computer) I found their version of 'Electioneering' superior to the original.

Written by: Drudwyn

Easystar All Stars rock. I heard them play Dub side of the moon and then Radio Dread at a gig here in Soton a couple of months back...

Both of these quotes are from this page...

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

Written by: PinkNigel

Achem... tongue

D'Oh!! That's what I get for skim-reading... I'll just go change my username to censoredwitNigel...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
More 'DON'T censored wit' Nigel'!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i didnt read this thread but a couple posts BUT....I lvoe Pennywise's cover of down under, also Me First and the Gimme Gimmes have a couple of worthwhile covers as well as the Skandalous All-Stars

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Nightwish's version of Over the Hills And Far away by Gary Moore.

Xavier Rudd and Sublime both do a decent cover of Marley's No Women No Cry

and Ryan Adam's does a beautiful version of Wonderwall

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
This is really one of the most beautiful covers I've ever heard, Outkast's "Hey Ya" by Obadiah Parker. So awesome.

Also everything by Richard Cheese. Really. Do it. You so won't regret it.

Skrytinn_QveldrigaBRONZE Member
delectatio morosa, gaudium, desiderium
160 posts

Posted:
johnny cash's cover of trent reznor's 'hurt'
and it really really annoys me when people are like 'oh did you hear that NIN cover of johnny cash's song? nuuuur. also i have a really good video of trent singing that song with david bowie. sweeeeet!
bowie = awesomest ever

meow
biggrin happy little panda bear biggrin
peace
i love you

Fireinamember
143 posts

Posted:
I gotta say, prolly my all time fave cover is when AFI did The Hanging Garden by The Cure. It's a total deep-catalogue gem (it's on the AFI ep.) and I was amazed hen I found it because The Hanging Garden is my favourite Cure song. Sooo...having Davey Havok re-doing it was awesome. Not to mention the song really benefitted from modern percussion technology. I'd argue they out-did The Cure on it.

Then there's that clip somewhere of Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance singing Umbrella by Rhianna. Coming from the man who permitted a clip of him singing Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me A River" to be put on the MCR dvd...it's brilliant. And speaking of Cry Me A River, has anybody heard the version by The Cliks? Tasty stuff.

Any Detroit Cobras fans in the hizzouse?

"Watch those explosions in the sky and you'll go blind, but not this time. Will you live in hope or dark desire? What can I say? F*ck love give me fire." ~Cities Of Night by Blaqk Audio (Davey Havok)

Proudly MCRmy

Page: