Forums > Social Chat > Song Covers, the rare gems, and the dismal failures

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ah yes covers, everyone wants to cover a song and hit sucsess a second or third time, but rarely does it happen. Theres a few that are better though, and theres a hell of alot wich are crap.

I think Frou Frou's Holding Out for A Hero is MUCH better than Bonnie Tylers. Bonnie cant sing! haha. Frou Frou's is a modern up to date version, more stylish.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
John Farnham's "Help" I think is beautiful.

Then there is also Joe Cocker's "with a little help from my friends"

and for something a bit less dusty and old; "when doves cry" by quindon tarver (for romeo and juliet) pisses on Prince's i think.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
I need to remind myself to come back in here... cos I ubblove talking music, but I'm in a rush... I'll never remember rolleyes

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
The Cure covering Hendrix, (Purple Haze)...

U2 doing Cohen (Halleluja)This is an incredibly fascinating version. I also like KD Langs, and Rufus Wainrights, but U2 really makes it their own...

Squirrel Nut Zippers( I think-- it's a swing band at any rate) doing Metallica and Billy Idol( Neverland and White Wedding)

Sinead covering The Beatles, ( Noregian Wood )

Pearl Jam guy and Ben Harper covering the Hunters and Collectors ( ? title . The song that has the lines" I will come for you at nighttime, kiss you in four places... etc
etc. Spectacular song!)

Marilyn Manson covering Eurythmics ( Sweet Dreams)

Goldfinger doing 99 luft balloons...

Molly doing the classic "Summertime"

Oh I could go on....and on....

I have made myself some amazing cover tune Cd's! I love all the different interpretations of music.

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
 Written by: BansheeCat

Pearl Jam guy and Ben Harper covering the Hunters and Collectors ( ? title . The song that has the lines" I will come for you at nighttime, kiss you in four places... etc
etc. Spectacular song!)

That is Throw Your Arms Around Me. that is my mums favourite song and i managed to find 7 covers of it for her birthday one year. I can't remember all of them but Luka Bloom, Paul Mcdermott and Neil Finn from crowded house all had done covers as well

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Has anyone heard the Doug Anthony All-Stars cover of Heard it Through the Grapevine? It's powerful stuff!
"the day the doug anthonies finally made their mums happy"

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
 Written by: VampyricAcid

best cover??

William Shatner - Common People!!

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

william shatners covers are so funny. he also did Mr Tamborine Man a spoken word version of Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds

Dr Suess

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

Has anyone heard the Doug Anthony All-Stars cover of Heard it Through the Grapevine? It's powerful stuff!
"the day the doug anthonies finally made their mums happy"

ahhh. i love all the DAAS covers ubblove. i owned a video of The Big Gig that had that song on it. just beautiful. they do a good verion of "don't let me be misunderstood' - Paul mcdermott's voice is obviously very different to the original.
i also just found a paul doing 'shivers'

Dr Suess

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
i havent heard that one. i only have a video of random big gig. i just cant hear "you took the words right out of my mouth" or "billy dont be a hero" again without laughing silly! ubblol

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

i havent heard that one. i only have a video of random big gig. i just cant hear "you took the words right out of my mouth" or "billy dont be a hero" again without laughing silly! ubblol

ubblol ubblol ubblol there is nothing quite like DAAS anymore, is there? Please don't let me be misunderstood is on "live at the national theatre"

Dr Suess

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Great:

Johnny Cash's version of 'Hurt' by NIN is a revelation.
Faith No More's version of 'Easy' by The Commodores.
Mr Bungle doing 'Tower of Power' by Frankie Vaughan. (must resist the urge for more Bungle covers. They are always fantastic to hear and see being played)
Primus doing 'Master of Puppets' by Metallica
Reel Big Fish doing 'Take on me' by a-ha
Corduroy doing 'Motorhead' by Motorhead
Red Hot Chili Peppers covering 'Higher Ground' by Stevie Wonder
Gnarls Barkley doing 'Gone Daddy Gone' by Violent Femmes is pretty sweet IMO
Saw Green Day do 'Eye of the Tiger' live which was pretty funny.

Shite:
A long list of poor dance mixes of inappropriate songs like 'With or Without You' by U2. Seriously, who needs to hear phat beatz layed over the top of that?
Everytime Avril Lavigne covers ANY song a kitten dies somewhere.
Did we ever need to hear Robbie Williams do 'Song 2' by Blur?
All Saints covering the Chili's 'Under the Bridge' nearly made me stick an ice pick in both my eyes and ears.

And finally, even though I've already mentioned her:
Avril Levigne doing a version of 'Chop Suey' by SOAD. *places gun to temple* click.....*sobs*......BOOM!

skribleBRONZE Member
155 posts

Posted:
johnny cash's version of hurt is so great even trent reznor had to admit its better than the original......

this apple juice is a bit milky isnt it?!

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Reel Big Fish do a hilarious version of Duran Durans Hungry Like a Wolf too...

The singers comment "Aw, people, is that too much? I just never know... " at the end of all the silliness , just kills me laughing every time.

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Jessica Simpson MURDERING Nacy Sinatra.

It gets played at work.

I want to throw a bowling ball at the amp.

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
ubblol

I feel the same way about what she did to Berlin's 'Take My Breath Away.'

Like to hear her try to take on 'Torture.' Now THAT would be funny!!!

Little miss 'think's she's Daisy Duke' singing the lyrics 'kiss me..kick me???' Bwahahahahah!!!!!! Toooooo much!!!
EDITED_BY: fyrespirit (1162953980)

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
surprised it took so long to mention Johnny Cash's Hurt, though the original is still my favourite of the 2.

I need to see the film of his life I sadly know very little about him, and feel this needs to be rectified.

on the offence against humanity, god and/or all that you hold sacred list there is the utterly unfathomable (in the how the hell could anyone let this be done sense) cover of the Doors, Light My Fire that was done by Will Young. Unforgivable.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Johnny Cash was my Grandaddy's favourite...

He used to sit back and play 'Folsom Prison Blues' on his banjo and I'd sing along...I was 5!!!

Best cover ever...

Here's to you, Pop!!! beerchug hug

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Sepultura's version of Angel by Massive Attack. Surprisingly really good!

Also, staying with the Metal theme, Children of Bodom's cover of Baby....One More Time by Brittney Spears is hilarious. And quite good. eek

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
I know he sounds a bit like he's constipated, but I really really enjoy the White Stripes version of Joleen by Dolly Parton. smile

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Prefer Queen Adreena's version of 'Jolene' tongue

Placebo did a nice 'Running Up That Hill' by Kate Bush

But you HAVE to root out Sisters of Mercy's 'Confide in Me' by Kylie. It has to be heard to be believed... eek

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: 87wt2gxq7

a wickedevil tekno remix of Smells Like Teen Spirit that I heard this one time,

i have that! although i'd call it electro more than techno, but i love it! it really takes the angstyness off the original if oyu know what i mean.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
*Easystar AllStars - a reggae band who do covers of whole albums - responsible of 'Dub Side of the Moon'.

On their 'Radiodread' album (a cover of OK Computer) I found their version of 'Electioneering' superior to the original.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Easystar All Stars rock. I heard them play Dub side of the moon and then Radio Dread at a gig here in Soton a couple of months back...

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't mind seeing them! (They are surprising GREAT to spin to as well biggrin)

It's not surprising how the weaker original songs are surpassed when covered. They don't have the scared cow status of the more popular 'untouchable' classics...

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
will young should be lynched for his effort at destroying a "DOORS" classic!!!!!

NEVER should a good song be murdered by some wanna-be

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
It is my belief that any great song can survive even the poorest cover...

7,193 posts

Posted:
could you honestl imagine christine agulara,or britney spears doing a decent cover of "enter sandman" or " the thing that should not be" by metallica??

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I just believe that if you don't like it, don't listen to it! it's not as if they've replaced every sing copy of the original song with their own! tongue

7,193 posts

Posted:
dave.......it depends how deep iside the rabbit hole you wish to go when it comes to music

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Oh I love my music with a passion! It just means I don't feel the need to encourage hatred for certain covers but instead focus on the music I love!

It just find it strange but hilarious that some people can be blase' when it comes to the fate of a murderer/criminal/rapist etc yet activley cry for blood when presented with a substandard cover version.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
you just fancy will young :durr:

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Page: