PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
This is kind of a reaction to the soooooo many people who think that their actions don't contribute to a larger cause (ie: like the voting discussion and such).

Gas prices after Katrina jumped up to nauseating degrees, without true justification for it and really had a serious impact on America by forcing us all to evaluate how we travel.
Many people started carpools.
Many started going out in thier own areas instead of travelling distances.
Some people even chose to stay home.

Then the other day prices began to fall. Around here we thought we'd never see gas under $3/gal again, and yet, here we are...dropping daily...and it left us wondering why.

A recent article on CNN.com reported that the oil and gas companies were losing money through market shares. Because people started to travel differently, they used less gas to the point where the major companies were losing so much money despite the price hikes that they have begun to drop their prices in order to coax people to travel again.
However, many people interviewed said they are enjoying the changes so much that they intend on continuing their new modes of travel.

In other words ladies and gentlemen, we do have power enough to make a large change, even when we don't realize we are doing it.

Yay!

(still wondering what will go up now, thanks to the force of the hit of Hurricane Rita)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
completely agree, its not just the money issue either,
car pooling is an excellent idea,envirionment being high on the list of reasons to do it,there are loads of good website on it,some local some national, but www.carshare.com is excellent and really helpful.

i think mass awareness is fantastic and its great to see that people are still continuing to do good,even if it was money that motivated them in the first place.

hopefully everyon will catch on to the idea,( a big reason being i can barely afford to get to work at the moment!)
fuel prices can get disgustingly high, and it has such a knock on effect to the rest of the economy,
the price of everything seems to rise,

i caught the bus to work the other day, and it cost me £5 for a 7mile return journey......double what it was just over a year ago......seriously bad!

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
And while we're on it, perhaps more Americans could try buying/running economical vehicles. Just a thought, our petrol price has been astronomical for a good while now in comparison, whilst your economy isn't in any hurry to reduce the US's rate of fuel consuption, the rest of the world is thinking about it. And don't get me started on emmissions. If you have a nice cheap-to-run car you still get from a to b, but at a fraction of the cost, waste and pollution.

*Not aimed at anyone, just generally at many people in the USA or even anyone who drives a stupidly big car, a 4X4 in cities or towns, or some such nonsense in general*

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ditto

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
I was kinda annoyed that oil prices affected us pretty badly too, in some places the petrol prices went up to about 104p per litre (that was the highest i saw anyway). It was just a damn excuse for oil companies to go on a price hike.

People started saying that they'd protest at the depots (again) but this time hardly anyone turned up, so that kinda fell through.

I'm just glad that apart from travelling from home to university, I don't rely on my car because public transport is good (enough anyway) to get around town etc.

People DO have power, I agree, but some people choose not to use it because of difference in opinions and yes, the 'i can't make a difference so i won't bother' mentality is what stops things happening very often... *guilty*

[edit] just read nearly_all_gone's comments and ditto
EDITED_BY: thelost_seraph (1127320795)

It's better to burn out than to fade away

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think the best part of it is that people didn't realize they were doing it. I think that is a true show of the power.

Now imagine if people could actually get organized and agree as one large group? Wow.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
[Side note]
American cars are no more fuel efficient then the cars of 20 years ago...

Doesn't really surprise me - the more fuel they use, the more the money for the oil companies

:roll eyes:

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

American cars are no more fuel efficient then the cars of 20 years ago...

Doesn't surprise me, but it's still [censored] disgusting.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeah, you may complain about your gas prices, but let me tell you., th distance you can go on 40 quid there is really quite comprable to the distance it would take you in many american cars....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i dont really get what you mean pele, if you are exerting power unknowingly, then you arent really exerting 'power' effectively. all it means is the companies use a different method to manipulate, to be exerting the power effectively there should be some sort of aim shouldn't there?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley