Forums > Social Chat > For the Docs: Joints popping question

Login/Join to Participate

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
No, not those joints... smile

Im 22. Over the past year I've had an increasingly annoying condition develop that I don't know if I should worry about or not... Namely, my joints seem to be cracking more and more often from common movement. I wouldn't be too worried, but I've just developed one in my right elbow as well, after having started lifting weights again. My right elbow now pops several times a day. There is no pain involved, perhaps a little preasure that feels good to relieve by popping it (like cracking my knuckles, something I do all the time). In addition to this, my THUMBS of all things have this annoying habit of doing something similar. If my hand remains motionless for a few minutes (every morning when I wake up, this happens) as soon as I move them, they pop.

Now, given that I have been spinning staff now for four years, and that I recently started some light lifting (25 lb dumbells, not really overdoing it for my size, and I gradually worked my way up from 15s... used to do 25s all the time), I was wondering if perhaps this is some kind of repetitive motion injury, or if I am damaging my joints or anything.

Also, I have been a vegetarian for about 7 years, don't eat as well as I should perhaps, and only take vitamins and protein shakes occasionally (maybe once or twice a week). Could it be nutritional? What might I want to add to my diet to promote good joints?

The thumb cracking has gotten a bit worrisome. None of this is painful mind you, in fact the popping feels good, but I don't want to go blowing out any joints already at this age. smile

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I'd like a bit of advice on this too - Very similar, though i don't do weights or anything. A lot (most, if not all) of my joints crack, from knuckles to jaw to back (who needs a chiro?) to ankles. and nearly all the bits in the middle.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
... not to jump on the bandwagon, but I have the same problem.

I lift weights regularly (4 times a week) and had a fantastic diet over summer, and only a few months ago my shoulders began clicking on random exercises, not painful again, but clicking non-the-less. Last year I damaged both shoulders, but even when I resumed lifting (a year after), there was no clicking, just recently.

My deltoids are fairly strong, and I pay a lot of attention to rotator cuff strength (external, internal rotation etc), which strengthened my shoulder for lifting...

I hope I haven't made myself a candidate for arthritis or something when I'm older. frown

Willy - is bad for your health...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
All through medical school, I asked orthopedist after orthopedist about joint cracking and popping. I heard many theories, but the bottom line is:

"Nobody knows what joint cracking is, but it's probably harmless."

It's amazing, we've unraveled the mysteries of DNA and we don't know why joints crack.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I always thought it was the release of air in the joint but then realised air inside the body could be a bit of a dumb theory... confused2

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

_FSA_now comes with skydiving license
1,627 posts

Posted:
ive puzzled about this to.....my wrist, ankles, neck and back are the worst and crack every couple of mins pretty much!!!

ah well maybe we are all doomed to eternal joint craking!! confused ubbloco

Proudly owned by the very cute Pineapple Pete. Owner of Noddy. Joint owner of Mr Majestik.

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... I got the same problem with my elbows and my knees. Almost everytime I bend down my right knee clicks/pop. I'm not sure what this is but people keep telling me that it's the cartillage or something rubbing against each other, making the clicking noise which scares the hell outta me because everyone goes on to saying that continuous clicking etc will lead to arthritis...and I'm only 19 ubbcrying

It's better to burn out than to fade away

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i've heard theories relating to nitrogen bubbles bursting, which sorta makes sense, cos there's nitrogen in the blood, and if it collects in the joint (pressure), then reaches a point where no more can fit, and is released from the joint (crack) back into the blood. Makes sense to me, kinda.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
When I went to an osteopath to sort out my back, I asked him about popping joints.
His reply was along the lines of 'it's ok if it just happens as you're moving normally, it's when you're forcing the joints to make them pop that's bad.'

However, as with all medical type info gleaned from the internet, take that with a pinch of salt, especially since it's very general info and not really very specific or detailed.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
Written by: Doc Lightning

It's amazing, we've unraveled the mysteries of DNA and we don't know why joints crack.

Or why yawning is contagious...

*demands that more money be spent on these important issues, instead of wasting it on silly things like cancer research*

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

His reply was along the lines of 'it's ok if it just happens as you're moving normally, it's when you're forcing the joints to make them pop that's bad.'

Oh dear. frown

Willy - is bad for your health...

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Pretty much everything I've read in my research is along these lines as well... no pain, no problem... natural process, etc. etc.

I was just wondering if it might be associated with any later life problems. For instance, my grandma had arthritus... I've seen a finger litterally lock into possition before (I was very young) and it scared the heck out of me... or at least was rather disgusting to imagine that feeling of a joint locking up.

I guess I won't worry about it much then since there doesn't seem to be any good answers. I also do leg raises, and my hips pop on every one... I can pop my neck and back several times a day (it feels good), etc. Sometimes my knees feel like they need to be popped.

The other thing I was wondering about was diet and joint health, like is there some kind of food I might want to look into eating more of to promote the healthiest joints possible?

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
My physio said its just bubbles of air or something popping. nothing too serious and nothing to worry about.

although there seems to many differing opinions so i don't know who to believe!

i hope its not bad as my ankles click on nearly every step i take and when i walk up stairs it sounds like someone is jumping on bubble wrap!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Nope, it's not air bubbles. We know that much!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura