spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
For those of you that don't know, there is a hurricane brewing just about in the Gulf of Mexico. I live in the current predicted path of Rita and will most likely be ordered to evacuate by tomorrow evening. There is currently a voluntary evacuation in place for here. Luckily, the place I work has shut down to research personal (which I am), so I have the evening to prepare my apartment and pack away anything that is near and dear to me into my car. Then, it's off sometime tomorrow to Houston and possibly points further off if it looks bad.

So, now I'm forced to decide what in my life that I'd like to keep and what I can accept parting with for good. It's predicted to be a category 3 storm by the time it reaches here and possibly stronger at this point. I live on the 2nd and 3rd story of an apartment complex 2 1/2 blocks from the beach (it's convenient to work). I'm not really worried about flooding from below because of the height, but I am worried about the stability of the roof. This complex is at least 25 years old, so my fingers are crossed that the roof will hold and all my furniture will survive (it won't fit in my car).

So, I was wondering if any of you out there in HOP-land have had to deal with hurricanes before and if you had any advice for me. I don't plan on riding this one out, but I am worried about everything else and my stuff (even though it is just stuff, I'd hate to have to re-buy everything)

EDITED_BY: spritie (1127259073)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Good luck Hun. I hope Rita doesn't hit you too hard. hug

The only really important thing is that you are safe. I sometimes think life would be so much more simple if we didn't collect 'things' around us and attach sentimental value to them. We all do it.

Sometimes I wonder how it would be to be free of all these 'things', but I've never been brave enough to just throw them all away.

I hope your home isn't hit too badly hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Good luck spritie... perhaps the mods could move this thread over to discussion?

It would be a pity if it got lost in chat.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care
Clare

Getting to the other side smile

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Hey Spritie,

My family lives in Key West, FL where Hurricane Rita just passed over. Luckily the island didn't suffer much damage at all. Having been through lots of hurricanes before I'd say to first take pics of each area of your apartment and of all your belongings for insurance purposes. Then pack everything that is valuable to you, especially sentimental things that can't be replaced like pictures. If you are worried about your roof, just run to the hardware store or Wal-Mart and get some plastic tarp about 3mil thick. If you have a staple gun, use it to fasten the tarp over anywhere you might think the ceiling will cave or leak. You can also stack additional valuables on top of the couch to be protected as well. While this won't save your carpets, it might help out with the other stuff. Good luck, I hope it misses you guys and maybe it'll be significantly weakened before landfall.

Fear the evil monkey!

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Glad you're on your way out and are safe Heidi.
This happens to be the week that I'm visiting Houston (but we're moving north a bit to Austin for the storm). What a week to chose to visit! rolleyes

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Oi! Hopefully you have made it to Austin. I am headed there first thing in the morning, but I expect it to take me all day instead of the usual 2 1/2 hours.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I'm glad you're coming up to Austin, and not staying in Houston. smile
I'm in Austin now, with other people coming up late tonight or sometime tomorrow.
Drive safely. hug

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
The most you should want to get away with is your life. i know it's not that simple. I'd probably take photo albums. Everything else is replacable, no matter what sentimental value is attached to.

Plus being on the 2nd/3rd floor, if your house is wrecked it means you'lll probably escape the insurance company's pesky loophole regarding flooding and how it'll only cover damage caused by high wind but not flooding.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
good luck spritie and anyone else in that area.
hope not too much damage is caused,have no idea what it must be like for you but my thoughts are with you!

grouphug heart hug heart hug grouphug

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
so I wont bash vanize up to much before he goes home then, shall i?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
hope everythings goin ok for ya... hug

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Well, luckily the storm turned a bit, and only brushed Houston. We didn't get any bad weather at all in Austin.
I'm back in Houston now, and ready to start clearing the fallen tree limbs from the yard tomorrow. smile