Forums > Social Chat > Swimming, a prosaic description

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Don't bother reading this: it's just the result of random neuron firings that happened today during swim practice.

Swim Practice
I am stripped naked except for a thin piece of cloth satisfying the barest requirements of decency and a pair of goggles over my eyes.

My skin is covered with a thin film of grime, partly the product of a hard day's work and partly the product of standing in the hot, steamy tunnels that are the New York City subway.

SPLASH! I hit the water and form my body into a ramrod-straight line as I plummet to the bottom of the pool, 12 feet below. My ears scream with the pressure, but I pay them no attention. My feet touch the bottom, my legs coil beneath me...and with a strong push, they uncoil. I rocket towards the surface, trailing bubbles. One strong pull with both arms and I erupt from the surface of the water, my body coming out of the water to my waist before I fall back in.

I am grinning. The grime on my skin is gone. It will be a purification process, and the first part has begun.

I grab the wall with my arm, coil my legs against the textured tiles, and watch the clock. The red hand swings around to the top: 60. In a single, lightning-fast motion, my hand flashes off the wall, behind my head, and meets its brother directly over my head and my legs uncoil. I explode off the wall, water roaring in my ears with its passage. One meter, two, three, four, five meters...all in less than a second. I break the surface and take a stroke.

The stroke is like a rocket blast. I lurch forward, slicing through water like a torpedo. Another stroke follows the first. And another. The distance drops by, two meters per second. In 15 seconds I am at the other end of the pool, and in an action that could only be conditioned reflex, my body curls up, my arms fold in and push me over, my legs swing over my head, and plant on the wall. I push off again. Every stroke pulling, pushing me closer to my goal.

My resting heart rate is about 45 beats per minute. But in the 30 seconds it takes me to cover the two lengths, it has already doubled its rate. In another 15 seconds it has tripled it. By the end of the first 100 meters my heart is already racing along at 160 beats per minute. The blood races through the huge arteries feeding my arms, through dilated arterioles in my muscles, giving them energy, oxygen, fuel. And yet I feel none of this.

I feel speed, the roar of water in my ears, its rush past my skin, the power in my arms and legs as they thrust me forward. I see the V-shaped wake fanning off my head when I turn to breathe and I know that I am flying. I am at home in the water, my primordial mother embracing me in her arms.

Push! Dolphin kicks travel down from my neck, through my body, and down my legs in peristaltic waves. Each one snakes me through the water until I break the surface... I come up like I mean to fly fully out of the water, both arms breaking the surface at once, my head rising above them as they swing around in front...and then I dive, only to rise out of the water again...and again...and again. The term "butterfly" doesn't describe this stroke as well as its shortened nickname, "The Fly." It's the only way to describe it. I reach the wall and in a fluid motion...

Push! I am on my back, arms pinwheeling, body rolling, knowing by count of strokes where I am in the pool. I am an arrow speeding toward a wall I cannot see and yet I know where it is. The flags flash above my head and I count, one, two, three, four, five...my body rolls, my arm flies over my body, and I curl up into a ball... flip...

Push! I am off the wall, but as my speed slackens I don't break the surface, I pull down with my arms as powerful muscles in my legs complete the motion and then I explode from the water. The breastroke is a study in power, and my best stroke. The hands never break the surface, so the challenge is to maintain a forward motion while pushing the water forward. My body undulates, compensating for this disadvantage, every stroke giving me the opportunity to draw a great breath.

And with a final reaching, stretching finish, my hands hit the wall, my legs curl beneath me, my hand flies behind my head and my legs uncoil...

Push! the freestyle is speed, my body is an arrow, my arms pull me forward, each stroke a grab at the water, so efficient that my hands exit the water ahead of where they entered. My body rolls as a unit, each arm reaching forward and launching me towards my goal...and in a final reach I roll up on my side and kick!

I am home. My heart races, my breath thunders in my chest, and I am cleansed.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

well... that was random.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I told you not to read it...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
That's a nice piece of writing there Doc. smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
And to think that I just sit still on the bottom of the pool, watching everyone else doing hard work. rolleyes

Very nice piece though. Maybe something on Fire spinning next biggrin

Just kidding, it's great. smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you mean you don't shower before you get in the pool? ewwwww... umm

wink

i have a splashy story too:

i went swimming at the weekend.
it was in an outdoor pool.
it was 1:00am and i had to wear my pants because i don't own a swimming costume.
the water was cold but the air was colder.
i got out pretty quickly and went and stood in front of an open fire in my dressing gown.
somehow i was last in line to use the shower.
now i have a cold.

i think your swimming story is better than mine hug2

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
I've always thought of Butterfly Stroke as a kind of horizontal drowning...

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
doc i tell you one thing.....fairplay to your partner if you have one,cos if that piece of writings anything to go by,i would imagine you're very good at being verbal in...ahem...other areas as well shall we stay.
stunning piece of writing,and my sincerest apologies for ignoring the fact that you told us not to read it. biggrin

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Are you saying that because he is good at being verbal....he gives good oral sex or something? LOL I odnt see the connection myself :P

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I don't like goggles, I prefer to suffer the chlorine.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Oral capability is essential if you want to get a job in Law or Advertising... biggrin ubbangel

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
doc - ramrod stright in clothing that's bearly decent? hmmmm ..... wink

and awsome bit of writing smile

back

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Beautiful swimming poetry. I always feel so inspired to write something when i swim too, but the watere doesnt last and i forget when im done. Very very nice. It's hard to capture those feelings. But breast stroke. Bah, go fly or go home. 15 second 25 is pretty damn good though.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Oh I remember feeling like that. It feels like nothing else in the entire world.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg