Page:
Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Bah.

Contact is annoyingly addictive. I hardly know any moves, yet I find myself doing more contact than basic spinning!

So when I do do basic tricks, I find that they have become sloppy! Argh!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Tell me about it.

I get bored when spinning a fire staff at the moment. Spinny tricks are boring to me, because they all look the same, yet I don't know enough contact to keep a full burn going...

Bah! Why's Strugz not around when I need him... wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
the same old, you gotta mix the two senario then, the best way to keep contact going for a whole burn is to keep it as linked as you can even if that means that the links are spinny, but keeping flow smile

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
wise words dude,,,,,,,,

Written by: ed

Bah! Why's Strugz not around when I need him...

Dude i was in hastings the day after you left rolleyes

What i started playing with was using contact to transition from one side of the body to the other..........ie. spinny spinny moves in your left hand............contact a move that makes it end up in you right............ then spiny spinny stuff again.

There are 4 moves i played with that all transition the staff at shoulder height on your body, each going from one hand to the other:

halos

frontside halos - (tilt your head back......right back wink)

shoulder neck shoulder (SNES)

fishtails BTB elbow transition

All of these transition real nice if your spinning planes are tight - from one side to the other, that will help develop your contact planes in the long run..........

other than that................ all i can say is, if you do end up putting your staff down due to stress.............. dont pick up poi wink

go juggle or something ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
it's all about balance.
creating a fire routine is about finding a balance on what feels rigth and looks nice to watch, and not a matter fulfilling x% contact + x% acrobatics + x% palming + x% throws + x% swaps + x% interaction with other performers. It can be to your advantage to select which range of tricks/movements are most appropriate to your performance and not other way around.
it is good to let go of the need for formula - it frees you up to explore.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i wish i had this problem... my contact sucks lol. just... sucks!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

10,530 posts

Posted:
Bender and Strugz, the problem I have isn't flow, I feel pretty fluid. The problem is, I don't know enough!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
strugz.... have you changed.... met you 1 year ago when I knew 1 contact move and you where spinning poi and couldn't really juggle (believe you called it the dark side) and here a year later you can juggle 4 balls and are telling peeps not too pick up poi. ubblol I believe you taught me all those moves you've listed and a coupla others. wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
I think its all about looking extremely handome like myself wink

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
myself - does he post on these boards?

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
*runs out to change name so as to get complement* ubblol
probably. the BIGGEST problem with contact is it's bloomin addictive....dude pass me a stick..... peace

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Sphearmember
60 posts

Posted:
Yea, but it's so freaking hard.... I can spinny spin till the sun comes up, but simple contact damn!!! well i can do hand contact, and changes and such, but the matrix, or even halos, forget about it....

Everything meets in the center...

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
yeah it is far too addictive
as a result of this i tok me a day of actuall trying and i could do snes's and jesus's but by the end of this day my face hurt muchly

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

10,530 posts

Posted:
Steves and Halos frustrate me a lot.

I can do them one time, and then can't the next. Tis really annoying.
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1127481942)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I'll second that on the steve's. dom taught me to do steves. well, how to. and then i could. and then i couldn't. and then i couldn't remember how to do them anymore after awhile of not spinning. and i didn't know what they were called... and no-one i actually talked to in london seemed to know how, altho clearly if i hadn't been so apesh*t about approaching meg i could have asked her....
and now i can do them like one in five or six times, which is, er, depressing....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

and no-one i actually talked to in london seemed to know how, altho clearly if i hadn't been so apesh*t about approaching meg i could have asked her....

When were you in London? If you'd seen me, I would have tried to show you, but alas, I have the same problems as you.

Meg's skill is awesome, and I know what you mean about asking her about stuff.

I just had this violent urge to bow down and worship the ground she walked on wink

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
bah.......whos meg?

wink

ubblol

i know a meg whos good at staff, but shes more than approachable, she responds to heckling really well too and loves hair and crap plane comments wink

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
She also jumps over stuff too biggrin

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

10,530 posts

Posted:
Indeed.

Last sunday she was displaying such jumpy-over-stuffy smile

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Is there much fun stuff to jump over at Claphammy?

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
no, but that didn't stop her.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Lol! I didn't even know she was famous at the time either. I just saw her doing staff and was like, right, so I'm afraid to ask her anything... altho the funny thing is I did ask to borrow a staff to play with! Truly I'm a dork. Its just everyone seemed to want to talk to her and they were cooler than me...

I was at the last spitz and the last clapham before uberpoi. I talked to lots of people at spitz, I was really hung over at clapham and a trying to deal with a small "situation" I got myself into in any event. For all I know I met you but I don't think so.... I did try to talk to people with staves tho. As, well, I havn't one I can travel with.. :/

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

10,530 posts

Posted:
I think I wasn't up in london that weekend smile

anarchy2newbie
8 posts

Posted:
hay,, whats contact? ( so very nooby )

10,530 posts

Posted:
Pigeon - It took me ages just to get the half steve. You picked it up in a day smile

You don't suck smile

Just remember, I practice *loads* at school. Loads. I practically do nothing else at school. Its all about the practice biggrin

Except this week cos I left my staff at home frown

Written by: anarchy2

hay,, whats contact? ( so very nooby )

No worries, 5 months ago, I hadn't even heard of it, let alone know how to do it smile

Contact is spinnig the staff around the body in different ways without using your hands.

Fairly warned be ye: Its bloody addictive biggrin
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1127585446)

ChumpyBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
I will second, third and fourth anyone who says its bloody addictive!

I made a few videos today as well...just to see what it looks like from other peoples persepective.Sometimes it just doesn't feel right, but I'm amazed to see it still looks fluid.

I got the two halves of the matrix but can't get the elbow transition to join them together. More shouting at the staff to make it work.....Grrrr angry

Health is a secondary consideration when you have a lifestyle to maintain

Not seen a Banana do Double staff in the woods? You obviously weren't at that party!

'my guess would be staffers dont waste time talking bollox' - strugz

Colin Jsmall member
116 posts

Posted:
LTC taught me some contact a few weeks ago, I thought it was suposed to hard, but out of all the basics only fishtails took more than a few trys. they're still cack. Anything beyond this will actually take some effort, And when I saw Strugz I was sure of this. good thing it is really addictive.

screechcircling on the edge of madness
889 posts

Posted:
the problem with contact is that its not really possible its all just an illusion

finland finland finland
the country where i want to be
pony trekking or camping
or just watching tv

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
colin you didn't tell me you could do staff!!!!

MrFirenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
contact is staffing for amputees

'Bother!' Said Pooh, pawing at the chains wrapped around him, 'Piglet, could you pass me the fire blanket?'

Page: