Forums > Social Discussion > my problem with Burningman....

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
Don't get me wrong, I think the idea of an event that caters to fire performance is great. Let me get that out of the way right now. The problem I have with Burningman is the people who constantly ask me if I'm going. My response was initially "no, but I'd like to." This was before the four hundredth person in the course of a month. Now, I respond with,"no, because everyone else does it for me." The last thing I think I would like to do is go to a gathering of drugged-out ravers and stoned hippies, all of whom are vying for a Darwin award by playing with fire in their respective states. When other fire performers in portland ask me if I'm going, and I say no, they ask why not. They act like burningman is the only reason to get into what we do. Does anyone else feel this way?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

241 posts

Posted:
you have a point there, dave... but given that i have had my posts on this site nitpicked down to the smallest detail before, i see true irony in the fact that this post is an exception to the rule, ya know?
and psyrush, it's impossible to cut down on the people i know without becoming a hermit. this is something i truly can't do, as i am known everywhere i go that is fire friendly. and i'm NOT giving up fire. hopefully enough of the people that i am referring to know who they are, have read this and the thread on tribe and will leave me alone about it to make a dent. who knows? after not having the problem i have been having, i may decide i wish to go after all.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Sorry for posting all over the place Fred, but you have two different conversations going on here. I took offence when you categorized everyone who goes to burningman with those few you know who are idiots. Your problem is with them, but you accidentally offended alot of people including me. For the benefit of the HOP people conversation I'll repeat the tribe post. Get out of there and meet other fire groups. They are all really different. And the invite still stands to come to Reno and work with my group. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Frederick the Reckless

The last thing I think I would like to do is go to a gathering of drugged-out ravers and stoned hippies, all of whom are vying for a Darwin award by playing with fire in their respective states.

I don't know whether this is an attack on the event or the people, but either way, from someone who's never been, it's the statement I had the biggest issue with.

That's all I'm sayin'

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MurfdaSmurfmember
59 posts

Posted:
I know how you feel Fredrick I have run into the same sorts of people down in Arizona and in Washington State. I had some old school BM friends who had tried to get me to go until one year they came back and swaid they are never going again. They sited the stupid people who were going as the main reason. I think that is a problem most festavals go through. If the succed and get popular, they draw the idiots to the event.

I know I am sick of people telling me how wonderful BM is. I don't care. I have seen the fools, as have you. I don't want to have to be at an event with them. I do know some good and cool people who go to BM, but they are out numbered by the idiots I have meet who go. To solve tyhe whole problem last year I just did my own burn. I built a 25 foot man and had a nice party with my friends. We had lots of fire, fire works, and fire spinning. Oh and a keg that I pulled the hose though the legs of the man. The bummer for me, My party, so I stayed sober.

So throw you own event and print up t-shirts that say I hate Burning Man People! and go nuts, but stay in control of your fire.

I thought I waz just dreammin'?!!??!!??!! Dis place can't really be real.

241 posts

Posted:
it was the people. sorry for the confusion.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:

Written by:

it was the people. sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for the clarification. The only problem is I am one of those people and you don't know me. The same with the many others you offended and don't know, hence the hostile responces especially on tribe. I understand now that you are addressing only a few people where you live. But you labeled them with a term much bigger than just them (burningman people). How about an apology to those you didn't mean to offend and we can clean up this mess that I'm sure you didn't mean to create.
biggrin

Cody Canon

241 posts

Posted:
personally, i'm done... how about you guys?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

Elemental666GOLD Member
45 posts

Posted:
What if...

Someone gifted you a ticket and space in a camp, would you at least try it?

I offer this suggestion, even thoughyou say its the people, because your interacting with a small percentage of the people who attend. Its sounds like they aren't even in tune with the spirit of the event. If you were to go you MIGHT find that simply telling these people to bugger off and then go your own way these presumed issues wouldn't be a promenant as you assume they are... There is SOOOOOO much to see and do that you can easily be "on your own" a large percentage of the time.

This was my first year and I have to say that at no point was I preassured to do anything or be a part of anything. Burningman can be filled with drug induced psychonauts or it can be a very sobering experience. If you find that its not for you, you can leave early... I'd wager against that happening tho...

So if admision was free for you and you were given some space in a no pressure camp, could you give it the benefit of the doubt and try it? Or are you steadfast in rebelling against the small population you have so far interacted with?

Letting others shape your opinions seems like a cop out to me, and letting those opinions rule your decision making process seems like you might be selling yourself short. I think your taking the easy way out... but then that's just my opinion...
EDITED_BY: Elemental666 (1127478607)

241 posts

Posted:
not opposed to your proposition, but i'll say this: basically, if i did go, there would be other problems. these primarily being bills while i'm gone, and transportation first, then provisions such as food and fuel. your offer, while generous, is one i am afraid i will not be able to accept, as the other logistics are impossible to meet. maybe sometime down the road.
i realize that there are more people that go to BM than the ones i know, it's just those people i am speaking of give me the heebie-jeebies. kinda like the "put more Jesus on it, it'll get better" brand of christians.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Fred, how about that apology so you can be square with your peers.

Written by:

personally, i'm done... how about you guys?

Not quite what I was looking for, you started this after all. Close it up then we can be done. smile

I'm a bit of a cowboy and apologies still mean something to me. smile

Cody Canon

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*wraps a lasso around Cody*

Gotcha...

Cowboy. wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

241 posts

Posted:
i will not apologize for the way i feel about the people i referred to. i do apologize for the confusion i created when the responding parties skipped the first 3 sentences in my initial post.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Are you guys arguing about apologising now?! wink

(sorry, just teasing... don't get cross)

Getting to the other side smile

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Thanks Fred that's what I was after. smile I wish you best of luck in your future encounters with those people. Burn bright. smile

Cody Canon

JediDaleBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
As a member of Controlled Burn, I back up Cody Canon 100%!! Living in close proximity of BurningMan,
those of us in Reno take issue with people who have an issue prior to experiencing it themselves! Also, BM is so big, after being there 8 days, I still didn't see it all!!
I know that all the major fire conclaves in the States are represented at BurningMan, so to those who say they didn't see see "any" great fire performers, then that statement is a slight to us all!! If we focus on contribution to BM rather than vicarious thrills with no
participation, the event becomes a memorable one.
after being with Controlled Burn for one year, I am still amazed at the groups skill level to spin BIG FIRE!!

Page: