Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Please Mum, can we have some 2UberOz??

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
clap clap **ANNOUNCING** clap clap

sunny sunny *** UBEROZ *** sunny sunny

Playshops Intensive

Brisbane, Australia

sunny When

3-5th February 2006.

Friday night, Saturday and Sunday workshops

Saturday night: Pool/Fire/Garden party

sunny Look at the website for LOADS of information!! www.uberoz.net

sunny Teachers and Sample Workshops:

Rob (Bluecat) from te POOKa (Edinburgh) (also at Woodford this year!)

The Workshop workshop (no props)

How to go about preparing several different types of workshops

Ubertangles and body knots (poi)

Negative space, airwrap theory for all, fun things to do with tanglage

Sequence Building/creating a routine (probably staff)

Finnish Throwing (staff)

As taught by the Rubber Heart Duo: fun throws and variations

Nasty Contact Surgery (staff)

You come to us (me and kyle) and we’ll help you with the mostest badassest things we know biggrin

Kyle

Body movement with a stick

Advanced Single Stick contact Trix and techniques

Stuff with rob(see above)

Introduction to Contact staff

Ways to think about contact staff

Changing priorities – using techniques from other disciplines and modifying the way you think about the way you play…

Matt

(Spherculist)

Throws(poi)

Basic development of poi throwing techniques

Wibbles, dibbles and utter madness(poi)

AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Pattern Modifiers(poi)

Boxes, inversions, anything in fact to get away from circles and cylinders

Dom

UberBasics (poi)

Flow, sensitivity & cleanliness

Circle placement

Plane control

Movement using circle placement & plane control

Take-outs & separations

Flowers

Anti-spin basics if time

Breaking the circle(poi)

Stalls

Isolations

Poi fondling

Throws (if relevant and maybe sock poi based as Oz is full of throwers)

Kicks, headbutts, Gilligans, Wraps, etc…

UberCirc (poi)

Air wraps & hyperloops

Antispins – different timings of antispin flowers

Moving poi at different beats to the spin (parallel pops, really an other antispin type)

Crossover points (nerdy)

Ben

feet staffing

starting with simple stuff like foot stalls, foot carries, thigh carries (for want of a better name kinda like a fishtail on the knee ), club kickups

club kickups controlling height for entrance to snes/elbow stuff

foot fishtails

lynx

reverse lynx

long doubles (stick)

theres 3 nice non contact/contortyish sequences ive been playing with

dual fishtails

um and all the basic doubles stuff

Nick Nick Woolsey ([Old link]) of Poi Studio

Our Special Guest demonstrating smooth magic...

and wait there's more (just Joshing) ubblove

wow :what a lineup! wow

sunny Venue:

Hillbrook School, Enoggera. 15 mins north of city centre, near Gaythorne/Enoggera railway stations (train from Brisbane airport).

Playshop space:a huge airy Recreation Hall, with showers

Outside play space: tree-lined fields going down to a creek with ducks, turtles and stuff.

sunny Accommodation:

Camping/van space onsite. Backpackers' hostels and billets available as well. Let us know if you are a Brissy person who can fit some travellers in... welcome

sunny Cost:

Then: $100 for the whole weekend, including some catering and camping (if required)

sunny To Book:

PM me or register directly from the www.uberoz.net

and feel free to PM me (local admin peep) or Bluecat (Ubermeister) directly for anything else you might want to know....

YAY This is gonna be FUN!!! ubblol

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
OMG its a flowy techy invasion! smile Looks cool!

Three things;

Will most people be staying at the camp / workshop space all w/end? will it be open late into the night for late night juggle antix? will there be some kind of secure space to store our juggle stuff when we go to the pool party (I just think that if everyone goes off to the pool party and leaves an empty campsite full of interesting gear some might go missing...(so call me paranoid! smile))

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Josh,

Good points you raise.. and I like your use of the words 'our' and 'we'. smile Was hoping you might make it up!

The school Rec Centre can be open 24hrs if we want... till late Sunday. it is nowhere near houses, and opens onto a few kms of playing fields and park...loadsa room for antix... hmmmm antix. Is that another word for spinners over 50? smile

I am also negotiating the use of the scouts hall/grounds next door to the school, till the Monday. It is lockable and will be useful for campers if it storms too. I am waiting for their official reply atm but the leader is very positive. If that doesn't come off then we can lock the rec centre up while we are off pooling....or pile em into a van and drive em to my place or...post a guard with high speed flaming nanchuks or...

I am assuming a lot of people will camp on site...at the school or in the scouts grounds, or get billeted. if there's people want to do the deluxe and stay in a backpackers, i am happy to try negotiate a bulk/dorm rate...or at least recommend goodies...

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
OOooo, getting pretty close to having everything sorted for big move to NZ, the best news being that they've recently increased the holiday working visa from 1 year to 2 years, so i might be around for quite a while smile

As for uberoz, i see no reason why i wouldn't be able to make it. I'll be well up for a little road trip in the area as well.

Will be great to meet everyone, and to see you again Ben ~ get any further with the foot staff?

My mate Olly will be travelling round Oz in a couple of weeks and should still be out there in feb.

Plus it's my birthday towards the end of feb so i might stick around for a while over there.

Definitely looks like we need more staff teachers tho, i can do some beginners 2 diabolo as well but that's about it.

See you all there for some wibbly madness,

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

sureauenthusiast
224 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

Dom (if you don't come he'll rescind your hop membership)

R

ubblol ubblol ubblol

Gabe my name on the hopefuls list hopefully means I'm part of the earlybird 30? *looks hopeful* Payment to come shortly, promise! Cross my pixies and hope to fry. I mean er, um, yeah.... ubbrollsmile

What a tasty sounding weekend. Thank you so much for fueling such an awesome event. Give us a G! Give us an A! Give us a B! Give us an E! What does it spell? Bagel!!

Ummm... spank Who invited me? Oh right, you did, haaaa careful whatcha wish for ubbloco

"Be the Bunny"

pfshnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
roadtriproadtriproadtrip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
pfshpfshpfsh!!!!!!!

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
yeah, I'm goin!!!!! Hmmm, how exciting, I'm gunna learn stuff!!!!! ubbloco ubbloco It's gunna be so much fun. So who has a patch of floor at their house for me???? biggrin

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
rainbow serpent to uber oz road trip sounds like a plan. (wonders about copassity to drive home from brizzie after...) i have a panel van so if thats any help (also wonders about the legality of having 10 crazy spinners crammed in the back sitting on milk crates...hmmm) and rob bring down meg for all of these staffteroo's and bring down alex for everyone's sake. stits with exited bug eye'd expression on face

sureauenthusiast
224 posts

Posted:
UBERUBERUBER! OZOZOZ!
UBERUBERUBER! OZOZOZ!
UBER! OZ!
UBER! OZ!
UBERUBERUBER! OZOZOZ!

raising it up aussie style, yippee!
let's hope there's not any aussie style fire bans in place when it rolls around help

"Be the Bunny"

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:

ubblol
Can just hear Brett's van rolling up the highway with jen's Uberchant roaring out into those little country towns!

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
No pixies at UberOZ!? eek gabe gabe..

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Ry welcome to the thread!! Where ya been!

Oooh pixielack, I know, shocking isn't it!!!! Many tears have been shed! They have more or less promised to crash the partay though so not all is lost hug

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
Hurrah! there is a good chance that my travels will be taking me, my poi and my hoop through Brisbane around then. Would be lovely to meet some spinners from the other side of the world...

to live at all is miracle enough

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
wavehello Miranda!

That sounds great! Anyone who fairy shops with Skully is most welcome! When you're ready to book, go to www.uberoz.net where there is a rego form.

Yes did you notice that, folks..
we have a website clap thanks to Karen of the Carnival of the Divine Imagination, bless her cotton socks and UV hoops!

It's only little, but the rego form works and life is good sunny

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
well im a definate, just have to scrounge around for cash. I'll be flying up with Mcbeth on the friday morning-ish, so heres hoping there's somewhere good we can pitch a tent. huzzah for fire and cheapness!

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
i now have two panel vans smile but only one of them is in any sort of condition to make up there frown ha ha can wait! i knew rob couldnt keep away from me...

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
damn forgot to say this in the last post... but if there is a fire ban surely we could have at least one night of fire. let the cfs know water the ground ect... ur but i might be wrong... tends to happen... worth looking into??

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Don't worry too much about fire bans.. Feb in the subtropics is summer...the wet season... just as likely to have hot days and sunset storms.. mad weather... fun though!

And anyway, one reason for having a partay on Sat nite is that I have a smackin big swimming pool by the Spinning Lawn. It's a nice combo, get fired up and sticky then jump in the pool... hehe

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
sounds wonderful gabe. I can't wait. clap clap clap clap

Bring on those hot and sticky days and storms at night. Gotta love it!

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
perfect...

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
Thanks, newgabe! Will there be tickets available on the gate? My travel plans are very fluid at present so i'm trying not to make any firm committments to anything just yet.

to live at all is miracle enough

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
It's a workshop.. ooops! playshop... event rather than a performance or general community thang, so numbers will be limited to ensure everyone can get good attention, and have enough space to play... The hall is big, but it's not infinite wink To be precise, it's 22.5 metres x 37.5 metres (843 sq m).

So whether there are places available at the door depends on how many people book in advance... which helps us too cos of catering, managing camping space etc...

But at the moment it's about 1/5th booked...and 3 months to go... so plenty of time for decisions decisions...and we will keep all those details up to date here (first post of the thread)...and on the www.uberoz.net "Updates" page... so happy travels, Mirandear, with us or elsewhere!

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
playshops dont have to be nside right??? i thnk some of our travelers (especially uk ones!) need some of the good old ozi sun.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
ubblol as in mad dogs and English spinners go out in the midday sun sunny ubbloco

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Seriously though, yep, we can use the outside... but the limit on numbers is at the request of Rob, who has done Uberevents before... and is committed to peeps getting maximum value and lots of time/attention from teachers. It's hard to have more than say, 40, in a group from the teachers point of view... specially when there are differing levels and learning styles etc to include in a short time...

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hmm, at the moment im not sure if i can come. ill have to do a fair bit of busking over the next few weekends to afford it in time.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Oooh I'd love to see you busk, squishy nose and all! Don't be stressing about affording 'in time' and all that... reeelaaaax... the earlybirdies that have already flown are basically those HoPpers who had their hands up straight away.. and we not putting out flyers etc about it elsewhere yet... so you just busk nice and easy ...breeeaaaathe.... and I'll put you on my wishlist, OK wink

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Who wants to billet some interstate hoppers? *looks hopeful* ubblove

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Some lovely locals are offering billets so I think you'll be fine smile

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by roarfire

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Page: ...