Page:
Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Well it's starting to get cold outside and I feel myself drawn from the outside to my warm comfy bed. So I'm looking for some good books to read to fend off the inevitable boredom and monotony of winter. I'm looking for something fantasy based like Lord of the Rings...or just a really good fiction novel. Something that I could read aloud and share with my boyfriend.

Anybody have some good recomendations?

*~SunSpot~*

Om Namah Sivaya

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
Anything by Herman Hesse- to get your mind ticking over and thinking about life. (Glass Bead Game especially)
Tom Sharp- for a bloody good laugh!! (Any of them there all shear genius!!)
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Most definitely Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time series... the first book is titled "The Eye of The World." Tons of good fantasy, magic, legendary type stuff, and the books have some girth to them (600-1000 pages each). Happy hunting!

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think it would be helpful to include genres here.

I'm a Sci-Fi fan. I highly recommend Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series. There are three books in the trilogy plus one extra. The three in the trilogy are Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars. The extra is The Martians, which is a collection of short stories set in that universe.

The books are amazing. They take you to Mars and actually make you want to stand on the planet's surface to see what it's like. I want to climb Olympus Mons now, I want to drive across the Vallis Marineris, and I most certainly want to play "hide and seek" in the boulders of Utopia Planatia.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
david eddings "the belgard (sp)" series
"redemption of athalus"

tad williams *minnear, sorrow and thorn* trilogy

lord of the rings is, obviously, amazing

wheel of time is also good though i wish hed finally finish it (9 books at not even near huh???)

any terry pratchett, yay!

the tai of pooh and tei of piglet

hugs
lolli x

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Oh, and you should definitely try Ian Irvine's "The View from the mirror" series,
#1 A shadow on the glass
#2 The tower on the rift
#3 Dark is the moon
#4 The way between the worlds

It's an epic fantasy (about 2500 pages in total): you have to get used to Irvine's style though, "A shadow on the glass" was his first novel, and it shows. It gets better and better as you go along though!

Charlotte

everyone's unique except me

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
the kamasutra is a good book for a long cold winter night when you are all alone in your bed...well it is for me anyway!

Spit-roastmember
13 posts

Posted:
U.C.O.F, that book's big and needs 2 hands
My fav book, although i dont read a tremendous amout, would have 2 b ONLY FORWARD by Michal Marshal Smith. he's a bit of a head case.

trust no-one except who u trust

Spit-roastmember
13 posts

Posted:
Oh and lolly, Terry Pratched, great stuff try a book called URTH sorry I don't know the author.

trust no-one except who u trust

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
oh yeh...good point.....then how the hell did i manage to....whoops...im stopping right there...

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
The Celestine Prophecy
Harry Potter
Any Discworld

Ephemeros... by Magnus Huckvale, but you'll have to wait until I've finished it.

Magnus... pay it forward

tatttySILVER Member
158 posts

Posted:
Harry Potter is definately fantabulous (but maybe thats because i'm a mad teacher).
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is also a great book!

Make your own happiness by making others happy [Ikeda]

*they used to read me stories, as though my dreams were boring*

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
If you're looking for some fantasy with a bit of an edge, The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind is great.

Lots of familiar concepts, especially from Wheel of Time series (but if you haven't read them then you don't need to worry)... But scary books! Themes of hardcore torture, violence, rape, murder, BDSM, sorcery, compulsion... it's all there.

I think there are 5 books in the series.

Other than that, I can highly recommend the Wheel of Time series, amazing!

David Edding's books are good too. I started with the Belgariad. The books are short and simple. a good initiation into fantasy for younger people IMO.

I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin - book one of A Song of Ice and Fire. Truly captivating - the author expects a level of intelligence from his readers.

enjoy!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Stardust by Neil Gaiman
Diceman by Luke Rhinehart

Meh

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I loved Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Any Harry Potter
Anything by Neil Gaiman
Weaveworld or Imajica by Clive Barker
Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

That's all I can think of right now.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

queen of wandsmember
127 posts

Posted:
Winter of Fire, by Sherryl Jordan.

Just read it. It sparked my obsession with fire.

Romance, drama and action in a non-wishy washy format. And not too long either, easily read in an afternoon. And re-read the day after.

I'm not vegetarian, but currently I'm off my chops!

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
For Fantasy:
"Heroes, Inc." by Kyle Crocco (Absolutely HILARIOUS)

The Deeds of Paksinarrion by Elizabeth Moon (I think that's the author, I lost my copy & haven't been able to replace it, amazing imagery though, real good read)

For something completely different, try the Chicks In Chainmail series. They're just short stories about empowered and amazing women, but they illustrate (and sometimes poke fun at) the stereotyped warrior woman in a steel bikini. Most of 'em are very well written, ingenious stories and are often funny as hell.

And although they're considered by some the trash novels of the genre, I love the Conan titles. The best authors to look for are Robert Jordan or Leonard Carpenter

And I would be remiss if I left out The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy By the late, great Douglas Adams as the nod to Sci-Fi.

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

pantsonfirethe man with the flaming pants
148 posts

Posted:
quote:
And I would be remiss if I left out The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy By the late, great Douglas Adams as the nod to Sci-Fi.

an definate!! the best!!! anything douglas adams!!
i would like to recomend "The Art of War" by tyzu sun, i think thats his name i dont have a copy so i cant check, actually i know thats wrong but hey one of you smarty pants can correct me i dont mind!!

It's all good

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
The Magician (series) by Raymond Feist and others with Janny Wurts.

The Farseer Trilogy, The Liveship Traders Trilogy and The Tawny Man by Robin Hobb.

The Bitterbynde Triology by Cecilia Dart-Thornton.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
Joanne Bertin... The Last DragonLord and Pheonix and Dragon.

bout ppl who can change into dragons. very good books. hard to put down. got really good backstabbin too... the kind that makes u go from silent to screaming out "YOU BASTARD!!!" and having ppla round u lookin and sayin "what what?" and you dont explain cos it'd take to long.

good stuff.
3rd book is comin out soon i beleive. (the bards oath)

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

HavocHavoc
168 posts

Posted:
In complete agreement with the Raymond Feist Magician series! top quality fantasy!

Northern Lights is what i am reading atm, but cant remember who its by... tis good anyway!

havoc

you have to let it all go... Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free your mind!

Times like these people wanna get High...
Real High and Real Fast...
This is gonna do it!!

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Golem in the Gears by Piers Anthony
(Pretty much anything by Piers Anthony is great fantasy/sci-fi reading)

Fear the evil monkey!

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
anthony burgess - a clockwork orange
aldous huxley - brave new world
jack kerouac - on the road
farmer giles of ham - tolkein
anything by roald dahl

wherever you go, there you are.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Mm yeah DiceMan - excellent book
So is a Brave New World and The Celistine Profecies (try the Tenth Insight too if you are up for putting creation and evolution together - but of a heavy read tho )

Urm The Tao of Pooh (or is it Piglet?) well there are a few in the series - explains what a clever person AA Milne was by showing each character in the books being a different philosofical outlook..Thumbs up for a good read as it is still a story book but it explains life and stuff - oh just read it.. it's not very thick..

(and yes I know I can't spell )

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
the man who planted trees by jean giono

it's a short book and found in the childrens section ( if it's found at all ) ummm there was an incredible animated short based on the book.

it's good , great , and perfect for reading outloud ...

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !

clairebearmember
52 posts
Location: jersey - Little rock, not quite there and almost h...

Posted:
Robin Hobb, Both her Assasin trilogy and the Following LiveShip trilogy, un-put-down-able!!

I'd agree with the Michael Marshal Smith one, and also anything by Jeff Noon, Vurt and Pollen being the first 2 that come to mind, but both of the above have short story collections that are good for reading aloud, though Jeff noon's can be a bit "eh?" at times

Be Cautious of who you sniff, they could be an EnemyBig love and fluffy rainbow light in bundles. Bear xxx xxx xxx

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Holly Schmolly. Thanks for all the suggestions. With the list I've compiled thus far I'll be set for the rest of my winters. Thanks everyone.

I just can't decide which one to choose...but I guess I'll let the library and availability decide. Thanks again.

*~SunSpot~*

Om Namah Sivaya

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
oh oh oh oh me too!!!
JITTERBUG PERFUME... cant remember the authors name but Such a good read....Fantasy
SEAT OF THE SOUL by Gary Zukov...I know that you will love this book... this is the book that helped to realise my spiritual development...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
stuff that hasn't been said yet:

David Brin, the uplift war series. #2 ad #3 are much better than #1, but it helps to read them in order. ot nesc, just helps.
Sundiver is the first. good sci-fi.

my personal reccomends (all sci-fi except one)

Snowcrash (cyber-punk)

The Disspossesed (sp)(Sci-fi but hard to get into for some- by Ursula K Le Guin- [Left Hand of Darkness])

The City and the Stars (SCi-fi, Arthur C Clarke- [Space Odessy 2001, Ranma, etc], older but amazing- not so much like his others)

The Dosadi Expierment (Sci-fi, Frank Herbert- [Dune] a good sci-fi, older but really good!)

It's worth noting all my fav books have a very strong sociological look at teh world. Uplift War not so much, tho.

And i add to the theory that Terry Pratchet, Orson Scott Card, ad Kim Stanley Robinson are amazing!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:

*didn't know Kyrian could read*

Meh

Page: