Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Please Mum, can we have some 2UberOz??

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
clap clap **ANNOUNCING** clap clap

sunny sunny *** UBEROZ *** sunny sunny

Playshops Intensive

Brisbane, Australia

sunny When

3-5th February 2006.

Friday night, Saturday and Sunday workshops

Saturday night: Pool/Fire/Garden party

sunny Look at the website for LOADS of information!! www.uberoz.net

sunny Teachers and Sample Workshops:

Rob (Bluecat) from te POOKa (Edinburgh) (also at Woodford this year!)

The Workshop workshop (no props)

How to go about preparing several different types of workshops

Ubertangles and body knots (poi)

Negative space, airwrap theory for all, fun things to do with tanglage

Sequence Building/creating a routine (probably staff)

Finnish Throwing (staff)

As taught by the Rubber Heart Duo: fun throws and variations

Nasty Contact Surgery (staff)

You come to us (me and kyle) and we’ll help you with the mostest badassest things we know biggrin

Kyle

Body movement with a stick

Advanced Single Stick contact Trix and techniques

Stuff with rob(see above)

Introduction to Contact staff

Ways to think about contact staff

Changing priorities – using techniques from other disciplines and modifying the way you think about the way you play…

Matt

(Spherculist)

Throws(poi)

Basic development of poi throwing techniques

Wibbles, dibbles and utter madness(poi)

AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Pattern Modifiers(poi)

Boxes, inversions, anything in fact to get away from circles and cylinders

Dom

UberBasics (poi)

Flow, sensitivity & cleanliness

Circle placement

Plane control

Movement using circle placement & plane control

Take-outs & separations

Flowers

Anti-spin basics if time

Breaking the circle(poi)

Stalls

Isolations

Poi fondling

Throws (if relevant and maybe sock poi based as Oz is full of throwers)

Kicks, headbutts, Gilligans, Wraps, etc…

UberCirc (poi)

Air wraps & hyperloops

Antispins – different timings of antispin flowers

Moving poi at different beats to the spin (parallel pops, really an other antispin type)

Crossover points (nerdy)

Ben

feet staffing

starting with simple stuff like foot stalls, foot carries, thigh carries (for want of a better name kinda like a fishtail on the knee ), club kickups

club kickups controlling height for entrance to snes/elbow stuff

foot fishtails

lynx

reverse lynx

long doubles (stick)

theres 3 nice non contact/contortyish sequences ive been playing with

dual fishtails

um and all the basic doubles stuff

Nick Nick Woolsey ([Old link]) of Poi Studio

Our Special Guest demonstrating smooth magic...

and wait there's more (just Joshing) ubblove

wow :what a lineup! wow

sunny Venue:

Hillbrook School, Enoggera. 15 mins north of city centre, near Gaythorne/Enoggera railway stations (train from Brisbane airport).

Playshop space:a huge airy Recreation Hall, with showers

Outside play space: tree-lined fields going down to a creek with ducks, turtles and stuff.

sunny Accommodation:

Camping/van space onsite. Backpackers' hostels and billets available as well. Let us know if you are a Brissy person who can fit some travellers in... welcome

sunny Cost:

Then: $100 for the whole weekend, including some catering and camping (if required)

sunny To Book:

PM me or register directly from the www.uberoz.net

and feel free to PM me (local admin peep) or Bluecat (Ubermeister) directly for anything else you might want to know....

YAY This is gonna be FUN!!! ubblol

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Matt wave

I kinda assumed that you could stay here at the Everton Poipackers and Day Spa. We have an assortment of spare rooms and Matt-resses.. also the dear folks (Karen and Jesse)from the Carnival of the Divine Imagination have offered to accommodate people as well. So there's a fair upthrusting of hands to host our Visiting Guest Wibbler. In any case I can pick you up from the airport and throw you in the pool before making decisions...

I'll PM you with my phone numbers and stuff... OK!

Big cheers

Gabe

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I too now have my ticket to Oz! Woooohoooo!!!

I'm now going to spend as much time as possible polishing up my workshops before I land on the 2nd.

See you all soon! Can't wait! *bounce*
And matt, seems like we're treading the same paths for a few weeks!

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
*woot* biggrin bounce clap yay dom!!! biggrin

ubblol everton poipackers & day spa!!!! love it!! biggrin

i'll be able to pick people up from the airport too!! *suddenly remembers she'll be living in brisbane by then* eek ubblol

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
The firetricks crew will be attending and we are based in brisbane. So if you need a place to crash over the 3 days, let me know at UberOz.

Can't wait, might even see some familar faces from Woodford. Woot !

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
tall stunning blondes in transit? oh dear.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: jc_firetricks

The firetricks crew will be attending and we are based in brisbane. So if you need a place to crash over the 3 days, let me know at UberOz.

Where do you live, Jaron?

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
Gabe, my dear... What time do the festivities start? As in, do I have time to hunt down the elusive gooble warming to buy some new poi on the Friday morning before heading over?

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

Written by: jc_firetricks

Where do you live, Jaron?

Camp Hill in a 4 bedroom house.

There is also Tom from Woodford staying at ours, so don't be shy. lol

Just need to bring a pillow and blankets to sleep on as I assume most of the time we will be at Hendra.

Can't wait for the madness to begin ubbloco weavesmiley hug

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hendra?

Festivities are in Enoggera... you might be mixing the name of the venue (Hillbrook School) with the suburb... Could be a new party game!

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: clarence_quack

Gabe, my dear... What time do the festivities start? As in, do I have time to hunt down the elusive gooble warming to buy some new poi on the Friday morning before heading over?

I believe festivities commence around 6, though I am sure with a mob of spinners onsite they will commence whenever there's a quorum biggrin The school is not available till... well, school's out.... but the scout hall and grounds is ours from lunchy time onwards...

Gooble is in Vulture St West End.. time to get there and back = yes, depending on transport mode (not walking distance, but there is public tranport and a road system) and distractability...

Also I have a fair number of ribbon poi and practice staffs if anyone wants to borrow them.

enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
I will be bringing a few extra staffs aswell.

Gabe are the festivities in Hillbrook College ?

QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:

Also I have a fair number of ribbon poi and practice staffs if anyone wants to borrow them.

I thiank yee muchly for the offer, but I'm set for practice stuff.. I just want more firey toys, as alas, virgin blue doesn't seem to like things that have been soaked in flammable liquids. I can't understand their reasoning, i like my staff and poi very much in all their flaming glory...

Nutella Brigade Unite!

Owned By Steaks

enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
Written by: clarence_quack

I thiank yee muchly for the offer, but I'm set for practice stuff.. I just want more firey toys, as alas, virgin blue doesn't seem to like things that have been soaked in flammable liquids. I can't understand their reasoning, i like my staff and poi very much in all their flaming glory...

A mate had the same problem..

He had to re wick his sticks to take them onboard.

I guess you might also be able to cover the wicks in heaps and heaps of gladwrap and say u have never used them... who knows might work rolleyes

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Oh dear dear!!! rolleyes

There are SOOOO many threads about this on HoP, including [Old link]

Point one:

Put gear in checked luggage not hand luggage. Do not ask permission/tell/randomly confess/make enquiries about carrying this gear. Poi need no explanation anyway as they fit easily in checked luggage: staffs could be golf sticks ski poles fishing rods or anything else that goes in long bags. Don't take anything in hand luggage cos that gets scanned and you don't want to have to discuss this issue with airline staff. To play 'safe' in this paranoid age they will give you an unnecessary 'no'.

Point two:

Hundreds of people have taken used gear through airports including through explosive residue scanners (often used on oversize luggage even if it being checked in). The explosives they are looking for are not what we use. Our stuff is NOT dangerous. Any fuel that was ever on them has burned off. Wicks themselves are not dangerously flammable or explosive or we wouldn't use them as wicks.

Read what airlines are worried about and realise that it does not apply to used firegear.

Point three

Just to make sure, for your own conscience mostly, wash gear in warm water (nicer for your hands) and washing up liquid (makes pretty bubbles), dry in sun (listen to birds), wrap in Glad Wrap (happy plastic). Travel!!

smile

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
hehe ah gabe master of fire equipment smuggling smile i found the magic words where "its been chemically treated to remove all contents of fuel residue"

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i heart meeting other people with an obessive love of firetwirling!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
I'm not too concerned about my gear, but carrying a staff around queensland on various buses is not the easiest of things, so all I'm after is new poi!!!!

Nutella Brigade Unite!

Owned By Steaks

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: ben-ja-men

hehe ah gabe master of fire equipment smuggling smile i found the magic words where "its been chemically treated to remove all contents of fuel residue"

where did you find these magic words? Are they nice words? Do we like them?

sureauenthusiast
224 posts

Posted:
Bluntly speaking, the flight/safety staff are dumbarses. I can't believe they sit firestaves in with the "no-no's" cabinet. Seriously, if you set fire to your luggage - clothes, books etc, the fire staff would probably be the only thing left at the end. I've taken 7 flights in the past year and a half and haven't had a problem yet *knocks wood". The last time, I answered HONESTLY... When they asked me if I had any "flammable or dangerous items" in my bag, I said no. Cause it's true. I held my staff over a flame before packing it. It didn't catch fire, nor did it randomly try to terrorize me.

If they had caught me, I would have just played dumb (that is, "I didn't see the no-no cabinet"). Maybe playing dumb would be speaking their language, hahaha. Seriously, have they ever actually tested their theory?

"Be the Bunny"

QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
taken from the virgin blue no-no's list:

Fire Sticks: Only metal fire sticks are permitted as checked in baggage, provided no wicks are attached.

So in other words, I can take my wicks in a bag, packed in right next to my staff. They're not attached smile

Nutella Brigade Unite!

Owned By Steaks

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Nice to talk to the other day i'll be down soon .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
[Old link] ubblove

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
i think iv done about everything i can to get my poi thru international flights. have spun em, washed em, spun em, and dryed em. tho it would proly help that the last time i burnt them was about a month ago, so hopefully there wont be to much left on em anyway.
im getting so excited! my passport arrived this week, and i was kinda starting to stress that, that wont get here in time.

Yay only 11 days to go!!!
cant wait to meet everyone biggrin

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
yayyyyyyyyyyy! happy happy joy joy................ ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
biggrin

hopefully a helpful guide will get posted tomorrow, after i phone gabe for general info biggrin

soooooooo soooooooon biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
I'm so jealous hug for everyone, wish I could go

hug me!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ezz you noob you could go ..... remember you where going before u decided to be slack !!!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
(edit: this i feel says what i want it to. it is the exact same post with a couple of sentences changed. i feel like this shouldn't be just pm's because everyone could benefit from the dialogue)

Hey there fellow intrepid instructors!

It would be impossible for anyone to teach anything without pulling some info from someone else. However when someone comes up with fundamentally new ways of conveying concepts, such as the way i teach isolations and beats and moving during different points of rotation (just an example), it is hard not to want to convey the message to others (and unrealistic). Well I just want to try to suggest that everyone acknowledge this aspect of our teachings as we share and evolve the arts together. Unfortunately due to scheduling I'm not going to be around for Uberoz, but i still plan on coming to OZ myself soon and everywhere else for that matter, and it'd be quite awkward for me if people came to my workshops, and then felt like i was just teaching things that other instructors already taught, without acknowledging their work in the process- do you see where i'm trying to go with this? So this is simply me with my held held out, asking that if you do teach things that are part of someone else's style and repertoire, that you acknowledge this so we are all on the level, and credit is given where it is deserved. I know this is the way I operate, if i were to glean info from someone else, so I ask for nothing that i don't do myself already. In fact this practice is held as important in the dance community here in the US and i find it to be wise. This is simply a way for us all to share information together without stepping on toes or being unintentionally disrespectful.

In Respect,
Arashi

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hug we'll do our best, and ,of course, bigs up(ha! @ NYC) will be flung in your direction on many an occasion biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
yes but how about my wig ups? after all you had meg walking around in that wig the whole time i was in Emburra.
man, THAT's tenacity and dedication to humor.

seriously though, anybody tries to teach wibbles without mentioning matt and i'll go tarzan on ya.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Page: ......