Forums > Social Chat > overcoming fear, help needed

Login/Join to Participate

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
i have a problem, i have a fear of something i shouldnt because there is nothing to be afraid of (its a gymnastics thing). my coach said its natural to have fear because its not something the human body is made to do, but i know i cant hurt myself and i know im capable of it, there is nothing physically stopping me, i just cant make myself do it! its annoying me so much because whenever im not on the bar i feel like i could do it and then i get up there and freeze, so i was wondering, how do you get over your fears of things that there is no reason to have a fear of?
thanks for listening

[ 14. November 2002, 00:02: Message edited by: adren@line ]

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
I think its because your instincts kick in and over - ride your logic brain that says you cannot hurt yourself
I went absailing and had real difficulty when I had to lean back over the edge of the cliff, even though I knew there was no way I could fall as I was attached to a massive rock with ropes, it still took me ages to do it!
Hang in there! I am sure you will over come your fear

In the mean time have some love
and a hug

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
(oops sorry, I've "dun a pele" and typed an epic)

you are gonna love this, the answer amazingly is right up there at the top of your post.... it is...
adrenaline
(how cool is that)
a natural part of the bodies autonomic response which keeps you alive. Fear keeps you alive.

A little adrenaline puts you on edge, fires you up, make you alert, too much, tends to freeze your mind.

unfortunatly its given the really bad name
stage fright - good juggling article

Its utterly natural, and not at all a weakness,
I really used to get it REAL bad out on the ice rink when I was figure skater.

Fear is not a bad thing, its not a weakness its a strength, its your body putting itself on edge. you would not stay alive without fear.

The problem is that it is kinda self perpetuating, the more your worried your gonna freeze, the more adrenaline is released.

you've just got to chill and go out there it enjoy it rather than worrying how well you do.
the best performers I know said that it took them 5 years before they could really relax and enjoy a performance.

remember the worst thing thats going to happen out there is that you are going to freeze, fall off, muck it up and score real low with the judges. So what, tomorrow still happens. Now the best thing that could happen is that you could go out ther and enjoy yourself. (weather you fall or not)

Somethings that helped me was filming myself.
Or going and practicing (anything) in a public space so that your used to other people watching.
and just deciding to enjoy it.

good luck

Drew

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
perhaps a change of sig might have been appropriate for this post glass...?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Fear is a little gremlin.. it's a good thing to have.. but I use to be scared of alot of things.. started to take over - but I kicked him into touch..he's still there, but just keps me on my toes..

It's a great feeling when you realise that it is something that you can over come.. it's a good 'growing' experience but never be fearless, in my opinion, coz thats just mindless.. Always be mindfull.

Hope you over come - coz once you do - you'll feel on top of the world

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
If you can visualize yourself doing it when you're not on the bar, then maybe you get up on the bar and just think about it.

NO PRESSURE! When you get up on the bar, you should have no plans to do the move. If you do, that's great, but if not, then it's no failure. Just get up on the bar and visualize yourself doing it.

Hopefully, you will eventually get down to the point where being up on the bar won't be the barrier anymore?

I'm not very familiar with gymnastics, it's just that this general technique has often worked for me.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
i dont remember where i heard this, tv, radio, teacher, im not shure but it goes,

"you miss 100% of the shots you dont take!"

i think this is a good way to look at things.

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I've got a pretty good way. Although, as a combination of my profession and my personality, I don't get stage fright at all anymore... but the advice is still valid and something that I used to use back when I did theater as a kid (another reason why I don't get stage fright). Although in gymnastics I don't know if it will work but I'll just shut up and say it.

I found it much more comforting if I familiarized myself with the surroundings that I would be performing in. I picked a clock on the wall of the back of the theater that I peformed in. I had to do a monologe while essentially staring right at the clock. I sort of accidentally found that my familiarity with the clock was one of the few things that was the same whether we were practicing or performing in front of a full theater. I think that might be the trick behind "lucky socks" or keepsakes... taking something very familiar into an unfamiliar environment can be comforting.

Also, forcing yourself to smile always works. My mom has terrible claustrophobia and needed to get an MRI... I was with her and remember telling her to smile, no matter how fake a smile it was it somehow reminds the body to relax or triggers a memory of a happier time. It worked for her.

Good luck dude. And do tell us when you do it. Then please tell us what it was.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well i figured bender would jump on this but i guess i'll go ahead and post it...

bene gesserit litany against fear

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

yes it's cheap spiritualty to go by someone else's stuff but it's great.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
You mention "on the bar". High paralell, low paralell, balance beam, or high bar?

If it's possible to do the move you are having trouble with really slowly[ (may not be poss on high bar), it may help. That's what i do when i'm working on a poi move and am having trouble with the fear (no fear of burns, just of nailing myself in the face ). Visualsising it really thoroughly may help as well, as mentioned above.

Best of luck!

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
One of my teachers for West African dancee told the class before a perfromance to just put your hand over your heart, breathe deeply, relax your body and silence your mind.

Good luck.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I used to be really (scared isnt the right word) ummm I didnt like my poi spinning twords me. So anyhow I closed my eyes while doing the weave and turned around. After a few smacks in the nose I got it down, so my advice to you, if you can close your eyes do so. If not just dont look. Let your subconscience do the work.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
hi again everyone. i didnt want to post back here until id been back to the gym and tried again. i didnt really expect so many responses but thankyou so much, i have been thinking about what youve all written, although maybe i should have said what the move was...
its called a giant. in the first stages (what im doing) you get in 'loops' which is where you are on the mens high bar and tied to it so you cant fall off. a giant is where you swing high enough to go over the top through handstand in a big circle. the aim is eventually to do them on the uneven bars. so as you can see, there is really nothing to be scared of cos im tied to the bar and theres no way i can hurt myself if i just stay straight.
its funny how my name is whats telling my body to stop.
so what ive done in the past three days is visualised it, forced myself to smile about it (i usually get grumpy thinking about it cos its so pathetic ) and i went to the gym and with spotting got to handstand so my coach had to stop me going over. i still feel terrified when im up there but feeling a lot more comfortable about it because ive been thinking about it so much. ive decided im going to do one with help on monday, and by myself on friday...maybe
thanks for all the advice

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
monday night after gym:
adren@line sits at her computer trying to think of a way to let everyone know that she fought her fears and did three in a row (with help)! still scary but feeling a little more comfortable