ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Hi, i've just joined about 30 seconds ago after i stumbled idly on this website. ok. the main question i have is what liquid should i use to start off me breathing fire. i have perfected the mist with water(also learning not to spit into the wind) are there any kind of alcohols i can use? and if so what percentage is recomended.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
click on the link in my sig....its cool & helpful

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

278 posts

Posted:
Thank you that was an interesting read, gave me some insight, cheers

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
please now read the one in my signature.

smile

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Hmm. Friend of mine very nearly got chemical pnemonia from screwing up fire breathing, and I'm sure in the next few posts you'll be sent to Pele's article

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
ditto
but read my sig too (don't wanna feel left out)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Mynci, Im sure yours will help heaps.

Thumperrabbit, you could also try this link https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/FireBreathing.php

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i'd say turn back now while you still can, but i know you're gonna ignor me, so
1) Be careful
2) Read everything you can get your eyes onto before you start!!
3) NEVER...NEVER breathe alone
4) Always have a couple of Mobile Phones around
5) If it don't feel right, it ain't right so stop

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
but.........but............dribbling fuel down your chin is just such an attractive look.........

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
you recon? *crosses fingers and hopes Mre Majestik is joking*

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
try this out...

https://www.fyretr.com/

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

Red HotMember
25 posts

Posted:
Best thing to use is Paracine. You can buy it from B&Q. Drink loads of milk before you start and cramberry juice afterwards. Works a treat. Vaseline is a good idea as well. Rub it on your chin and chest before you start and always have a towl with you to dry off coz chemical burns arn't attractive. Youll probably still get them but it wont be half as bad. Just itches a bit. It is dangerous so TAKE CARE but thats part of the fun. Id get someone who knows what there doin to show you rather than just readin about it though.
Take care!

Where are you from?

Fire breather turned spinner

278 posts

Posted:
i'm from south wales, near swansea.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
swansea is a hole, oh in wales? well, dont go to the tasmanian swansea, orford is much better!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by: Red Hot

Vaseline is a good idea as well. Rub it on your chin and chest before you start

what?
Vaseline will burn you. It makes the burn worse it shouldnt be used as a barrier creme. DONT DO IT.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
mmm... you would have thought the fact vaseline is called parrafin wax would have given it away wouldn't you.

You should only breathe under supervission of an experienced fireeater though. And make sure its one who knows what they're doing, not one who thinks they know what they're doing.

You'll find most fire performers refuse to fire breathe due how dangerous it is. You should only spin fire poi under supervision of someone experienced for your first burn, so for somthing as dangerous as fire breathing you really need someone there.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: Valura

Written by: Red Hot

Vaseline is a good idea as well. Rub it on your chin and chest before you start

what?
Vaseline will burn you. It makes the burn worse it shouldnt be used as a barrier creme. DONT DO IT.

How will it burn you? I've been using Vaseline for months to cover my lips and chin and never had a problem with it. Yoghurt in your mouth, Vaseline on your chin, and a bowl of Weetabix afterwards.

Do you have another suggested barrier cream? Like I said, I've never had a problem with Vaseline. confused

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I've researched and tried a number of barrier creams over the last year, most barrier creams contain several alcohol products that act as a carrier solvent, mostly not in sufficient quantities to become combustable, you will need to fully assess and verify each product and batch though for suitability.

With reference to barrier creams in general, with oral fire arts, in particular fire-breathing, you should be working towards limiting the amount of 'excess' fuel deposits on muzle / face area, upper torso clothing etc.

When I teach fire-breathing emphasis on well practised and good technique is paramount, if your getting a lot of fuel around the muzle area then your technique if the problem, if your getting 1st degree burning / loss of facial hair etc then this is largely a technique problem.

Good personal hygene is key here, essnetially post show / practice / performance / teaching you really need a good wash / bath etc, this is not always very practical, so your we make use of various propriatary face wipes / wash(s) products and good timely clean up as I'm fairly sensitive to topical dermatitus due to fuel defatting. Appropriate mouth liners, and I use carbon caplets to deal with residule fuel uptake.

mark

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
One last thing Id like to address which seems to be a common myth among fire breathers. Do NOT coat your mouth with olive oil (or any other type of oil for that matter) before breathing fire. It DOES NOT protect your mouth and, in fact, makes things worse. Tests show that without olive oil you absorb about 2% of all fuel put in your mouth. But with olive oil you will absorb as much as 60%. Dont do it!

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

HOP Newsletter