Page:
ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Ok a lot of you dont know but I have been suffering horrible postnatal depression, and to help to alliaviate the symptoms Phaerie kindly offered some aucpunture. I must admit I was a bit nervous about how much it would hurt and the type of reaction I may have to it, but I am here to say if you have never had it you should TRY it.

I floated out of Phaeries treatment room. She was damn good at what she does and I can quite honestly say that I haven't felt as light and relaxed and free as I did this morning in a very very long time.

I found it easier to breathe, that tight ball of anxiety was gone, I felt chirpy and I even sung at the top of my lungs on the way home.

I felt my panic ebb away and can honestly say that the pins didnt even hurt! I didnt feel them go in, I felt a wee bit of tingling where the pins were placed but that was it.

amazing! Totally mindblowing experience.

Phaerie, you were born to be a healer beautiful girl. Heres me blabbering away as Im feeling all this tension leave my body and you took it all in your stride.

anyone here have acupunture? how did you find it? how did it work for you? hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I haven't had it, but been toying with the idea for a while........ I think I'll pop nto that chinese medical centre whilst i'm in town tody and find out more wink

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Valura honey, I'm so pleased you're feeling the benefits. Big hugs to you Princess.

grouphug

I had accupuncture a few years ago for back/neck problems. I was amazed that this was available to me on the NHS - I have a brilliant doctor! I had a 6 week course, and experienced the same feelings that you described during and after the treatment. It was like I was on cloud 9.....very chilled, relaxed, and a bit floaty.

But....this feeling didn't last very long, and I don't feel that it helped with my problems.

I had cupping as well - you know, where they suction a "cup" onto you. They then moved the cup over my back - that was a truly weird feeling, but really nice! It was literally as though they were sucking out all the badness from my back. Bizarre bruises the next day though ubblol

I think with a lot of these therapies you have to believe that they will work. I was a bit sceptical....so maybe that's way they didn't necessarily work for me confused

hugs and smiles

xxx

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I havn't tried acupuncture, for about the same nervousness reasons as you! But if I should get the chance i may. I've had a lot of good luck with myofacial therapy, but my best therapist lives a long way from me, and I've never found anyone half so good :/

Do you think Phaerie would tell us what to look for in an acupuncturist? (is that the right word?) because i'm sure, like with everything, there's good, there's amaxzing, and there's bad in the feild....

and congrats val smile

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Good to hear you enjoyed it Valura, it is something that everyone should try, at least once in their life!

Accupuncture is great, I thouroughly enjoy having it done.
I always end up buzzing afterwards, i love the feeling that you get afterwards, such positive energy.
It is one of the few things that actually helps me with my pain (I have fibromyaligia). No pharmacutical drugs or conventional therapies have helped me in the way that accupuncture has. I just wish i could afford to have it more often!

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
I have a friend that does acupuncture. He did for me three times for my migranes and i didnt have one for almost nine months. He did it for lower back pain too and ive actually done well ever since. If you concentrate you might be able to feel the energy...
im a big believer in it.

Super'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Mistress_MaledictiHeaven doesn't want me, and Hell is afraid I'll take over
192 posts

Posted:
I had a course of acupuncture treatments for severe back problems (broken bones, don't get a lot more severe than that!) and also later for skin trouble. Both times it was the most effective treatment I've had, and it made me feel so good afterwards as well as dealing with the problems I was using it for.

sin

"Abashed, the Devil stood and saw how awful Goodness is"

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I had acupuncture for a bad back with a person highly recommended by my friends I went in believing the end of my problem was nigh and ended up with one of the worse migraines I've ever had.... Not saying it's bad but I now feel it's NOT for me. Sorted my back with a series of beatifully bruising deep tissue massages....nicest thing in the world even with the bruises.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Personally I think it is all down to the placebo effect. If people are paid attention too and cared for then it can do wonders. Bedside manner is woefully lacking in modern medicine at the moment.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I agree that some accupuncture may work because of the placebo effect BUT there is no way that you can say it all is. It completely depends on what the person is being treated for and how they are treated.

I have acupuncture because the muscles in my neck, shoulders and upper back go into spasm a lot and it causes me a lot of pain. I have needles inserted into the problematic muscles, (it feels really wierd) the needle causes the muscle to do something (not exactly sure! it feels like it goes 'ping'), the tension is released and the muscle goes back to normal. this gives me instant relief. After a session, my back feels a lot better and I mentally feel better as well, probably because all the tension in my back is gone so my mind can stop being distracted by the pain!

This is different to the more traditional chinese method of accupunture which is based on using the needles to unblock the energy/chi that flows around the body. I have to admit that i am still skeptical about that.

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
im going to miss phaerie's house tomorrow for some acupunture biggrin ive never had it done before...and yay for you feeling good!!

hug me!

PhaerieBRONZE Member
veteran
1,240 posts

Posted:
first of all heartubblovehug

im so happy that you felt so good after the treatment, makes me so super smiley knowing that i am helping even a little bit. we are going to get you back to that super smiley happy confident radiant girl i know you are biggrin

and thankyou for starting such a wonderful thread, made me smile lots reading about peoples experiences with something that is such a huge part of my life and i love so much!
Written by: Kyrian

Do you think Phaerie would tell us what to look for in an acupuncturist? (is that the right word?) because i'm sure, like with everything, there's good, there's amaxzing, and there's bad in the feild....

What to look for in an acupuncturist?? first and foremost that they are properly qualified. personally i would stay away from the medical acupuncturists because they treat by symptoms rather than by cause. other things.. that they are part of an accredited association and have the relevant insurance and qualifications. they are the only real things to look for if you are say trying to find someone who you know nothing about (ie not referred by word of mouth etc). Personally i would tend to steer away from GPs that practice acupuncture, i would much rather go to someone who is a natural practitioner only. as GPs seem to have a completely different mind set about acupuncture and how it works to someone who has trained in natural medicine. I guess i should at this point say that i dont have a problem with drs doing acupuncture, i just find it hard to believe that they understand the premise of why they are doing what they do. most acupuncture courses held for GPs are a couple of weeks, or a month at max, whereas to become an acupuncturist there is a 4 year full time degree. so yeah, skeptical about what they are taught in such a short period of time.

Only when you close your eyes can you really see...

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
hugvalurahug
yay! im not suprised that phaeries acupuncture helped you... biggrin i agree... she's definitely born to heal... ubbrollsmile

phaerie.. sounds like your clinic is warming up... congrats... hope its all going really well for you... hug

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
phaerie... thats really cool to know. obviously creditations (wow, i made up another word...) are different in different countries (i don't think anywhere in america asks for a four year degree!) But its good to kind of see whats out there. Of course, I have no money to do any kind of therapies right now which sucks cause i need to do something again to fix things up.....

But i like information smile

Thank you! hug ubbrollsmile hug

and thanks valura for starting this as well!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

PhaerieBRONZE Member
veteran
1,240 posts

Posted:
Kyrian:
yeah, accreditations are different from country to country, but as a general rule i would generally steer clear of anyone who calls themselves a "medical acupuncturit". that is the same world wide.
its definately great to know what is out there in relation to alternative treatments. If you know where any schools that offer these courses are generally there are student clinics that offer cheaper treatments, a great introduction to different therapies at an affordable price.

and yeah, thanks Valura for starting this thread ubblove love you girl!!

shen:
yeah, getting there slowly. thanks for the compliment!

1,189 posts

Posted:
A nice massage is all you need to feel much better. This modern acupuncture is essentially just an elaborate and rather bizarre form of ritualised massage. Save some money and get a friend to do it for you.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Friends without training can't fix things 1/10th as well as people who are good at what they do, and thats even the really good ones. I mean, I have a friend who can really loosen up some of my knots and such, but its not even the same ballpark as my physical therapist from years ago who realigned my hips and fixed my lower back up....

Some people are more messed up than a massage is gonna fix! :/

And thank you phaerie.. what I was getting at is I wouldn't know how to check on certs for those who have just learned acupuncture for sure here, as I'm not sure what it involves... should be abl eto find out tho!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

1,189 posts

Posted:

Then acupuncture won't help them either.

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
grrr stop generalising
everyone is different
different therapies help different people

PhaerieBRONZE Member
veteran
1,240 posts

Posted:
Written by: jeff(fake)

how can you say that?? do you know ANYTHING about acupuncture?
acupuncture offers so much more than a glorified massage. So many people assume that acupuncture is only used for pain management, its scope is so much broader when you know how to use it correctly. personally i know that acupuncture has fixed alot for me that massage would never come close to even beginning to think about fixing. same goes for my patients, if i dont think i am going to be able to help them i tell them straight out, and you know how many people i have told that to.. 1. and i would say about 20% of my patients (if that) are people who would be able to have their problems fixed by massage. not trying to get on my high horse here, but really, do your research before making claims like that.

Written by: .:star:.

grrr stop generalising
everyone is different
different therapies help different people

completely agree .:star:. everyone is different, some people have really amazing results with acupuncture, some nothing- as with all therapies. just a matter of finding the therapy that agrees with you.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by: jeff(fake)

Jeff stop stirring.
we all know you dont believe in natural remedys and spiritual things, so perhaps you will be more useful in your science thread touting your beliefs.

althought I think that thread isnt helpful or true in anyway, I certainly dont go intoit and tear it to shreds.

maybe there is a lesson in that for you? quite frankly Im sick of you being rude to people just becasue their beliefs dont match your own.
rolleyes

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
ditto
fully!
dont talk about things you dont know anything about, jeff. if you had've actually done some research before blasting away with your "beliefs" about the efficacy of acupuncture, then you would've said the opposite to what you have been saying in this thread.
dont bring others down just because you dont know or understand or even attempt to...
far...
smile
acupuncture RULES. biggrin

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
My girlfriend has a twisted spine which massage won't fix... so are you saying acupuncture might be able to solve this? Cool!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: Valura

Jeff stop stirring.

we all know you dont believe in natural remedys and spiritual things, so perhaps you will be more useful in your science thread touting your beliefs.

althought I think that thread isnt helpful or true in anyway, I certainly dont go intoit and tear it to shreds.

admittedly maybe jeff could have been a bit less rude. But your response is at least as rude.

to have a go at him for disagreeing with your beliefs is a bit rich. This is a "discussion" no?

And if you can tear jeff's "science beliefs" to shreds then please do, as you would be revolutionising the process of rational thought. smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Colin Jsmall member
116 posts

Posted:
I would'nt say I beleive in any alternative or spiritual thought or ideas(looking at my bookcase you may have made a different assmption)

The chinese concept of chi or internal energy(which alot of the time acupuncture deals with)exists. And when I say exists I don't mean in some abstract sense or in any way where you need faith or blind belief, except maybe in the practicioners own ablity unless they have you convinced of it. Its apparent in my physical reality atleast.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
indeed. Shaolin monks can do some crazy things, but the 'chi' explanation of the real phenomena they experience is religious mumbo-jumbo/crass pseudoscience.

Equally, i wouldn't dismiss the effectiveness of acupuncture as a treatment out of hand, but without a rational explanation and understanding of how or why it works i'd expect its effects to be highly inconsistent and possibly even counter-productive.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Colin Jsmall member
116 posts

Posted:
kinda off topic I'm guessing, oops:

much of what I understand as vital energy or chi is actually the nervous system of the body. And then the weirder things that are still very noticeble though. Then theres the stuff I just can't see yet as being remotely explainable.

For a start, turn off the nervous system you die. Its said if you don't have any chi you die. Hmmm might be on to something.

Or this, when your GF dumps you, your 'chi' is like a sad puppy mopeing around and licking your feet, you feel heavy and sad(duh)

Then a fight is kicking off and your chi is all jumping up snapping at this person like a jack russle. you *naturally* puff up and get higher up on your toes. This is just fight or flight. So nervous system at work. still its been described as something the chi is in charge of.

So alot(deffinately not all) of what chi is supposed to be, is very real, and not mumbo jumbo(it just sounds that way because no offence we are uneducated, or should I say modern westerners), its just hard especially for a westerner to grasp this head space of some ancient chinese way explaining the reality of the human body and mind and how it works. Not to mention all the blatant bullcrap and romanticising of this whole subject.

So far what I have for the chi that will make sense to other people is- emotions playing about and causing physical sensations and states or the nervous system doing its job. I have to admit I still can't figure out most of all that chi stuff.

But I have "pushed hands" with a few very skilled taichi practitioners and what they say in the classics is true as the sky being blue. ie the one about an iron bar wrapped in cotton. its impossible for me to duplicate that cos I suck at taichi.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

admittedly maybe jeff could have been a bit less rude. But your response is at least as rude.

to have a go at him for disagreeing with your beliefs is a bit rich. This is a "discussion" no?

And if you can tear jeff's "science beliefs" to shreds then please do, as you would be revolutionising the process of rational thought. smile

simian... I have really bitten my tounge in regards to the way that jeff has responded in the past few threads and Im not going to empower that behaviour anymore.

I suppose the lesson here is that what you put out eventuallly comes back to you. Prehaps Im mirroring his behaviour, but truely I have been more than pleasant on many occasion. Making allowances for that type of behaviour gets tiring very quickly.

yes this is a discussion, and qute frankly its on acupunture and how its been so positive, not that its a load of crap. I would much rather Jeff found something positive to say in defence of his broad generalisations, than the dismissive attitude he currently displays.

I would be more than happy to share my beliefs with you on energy and the way that our lifes work spiritually, but I am hardly going to do that in the science thread as its off topic, and also disrespectful of what people are talking about in that particular thread. Really what I am trying to say to you is that I respect their opinion in their thread and I am not going to go into the thread to alienate people and cause strife.

Home of Poi has had enough of that yucky energy.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Hey, if it works, it works. I want to find a good acupuncturist around my area and go try it... never have and would like to. One of my professors goes once a month. He's a philosophy of science professor, and one of the most brilliant men I know. He is definitely NOT the New Agey / mystical kind of person. But he said this...

I have no idea how it works, but it makes my back feel better.

There's this big trend toward "If you can't explain how it works in modern scientific language then it isn't real"... if it works, it works.

I have a nother friend who has bad knees. Really bad. He had those shots you got in em every month and everything... He found this ancient technique whereby you take these herbs and burn them into the skin around the knee in three different places. Poof, no more knee pain. Just repeat every 4 months or so. Has no idea how it works, but it just did for him.

If it works, it works. Personally I like Colin's attempt at explaining it though. That iron wrapped in silk thing man... phew you aint kidding. Personally I think its a trick of the nervous system as well / way of focusing. Maybe anyway.... don't know. Just know I've seen some amazing stuff, and it works in some instances very well.

1,189 posts

Posted:
I never said acupuncture doesn't work. I said it really doesn't do anything that care and attention won't do. It certainly doesn't have all the healing abilities that are being atributed to it.

And, for the record, I am extremely well versed in all matters relating to pseudoscience and superstition. So please don't assume that I am ignorant aout what I am talking about.

And, lastly, this is exactly the kind of thread where a skeptical voice is most needed.

greensoxBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
I got a book on Ch'i for my birthday this year because I have an interest in learning about these sorts of things, Acupuncture is used a lot regarding this. I won't go on explaining how it's supposed to work because someone already has, but I think it works, It just depends on your beliefs to a certain extent.

I have to do a portfolio on 'Alternative Therapies' for one of my classes, would you mind at all if I quote your experience or PM you for more info later on (in the month or so)? Thankyee ubbrollsmile

Feel good saying of the week :

*Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission*

Page: