Forums > Social Chat > My Unfortunate Encounter

Login/Join to Participate

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
I recently encountered a group of youths, not a lot younger than myself, who stopped to watch me spin in a local park, I dont mind people watching, infact, sometimes its a good thing. and they were fine atfirst watching and cooing at particular moves, but when my staff burnt out, they asked to be able to hold it and maybe try it, I thought "Yeah sure why not?" I mean its always good to spread the knowledge of spinning. But I was hood winked! the kids started throwing it around and trying to hit each other with it, generally just treating it poorly. And when I kindly requested that they stop and give it back, rude gestures and hand signals were made! When I eventually got it back off them, (using as little force as possible) it was too late the damage had been done, the middle piece had been bent in a bit as a result of them hitting it against trees and the wicking had been frayed qute severely. I was most upset, as it it like trying to getblood out of a stone, finding means of repairing or replacing firestaff equiptment. Now I have 2 questions, no.1 What is the world coming to when a spinner cant just be nice and have a kind gesture returned with the respecting of his equiptment, and no.2 Has any such situations occured with other spinners? and how did you react?

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Affraid nothing like that has happened to me. I generally don't let people I don't know use Vlad. I may let them use my little staff so if they p1ss around I got a bigger 1 to get it back

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
1) the world is full of idiots....
2) im not a pacifist
I once encountered a drunk kid at a forest party who just took my fire ropes!!! dipped them into paraffin and was about to light them up. i started yelling at him and when he didnt react, I gave him a good b1tch-slap across the head, the classic backhand to the face, just to demonstrate how serious i am.
sometimes force is necessary to prevent people from seriously injuring themselves. imagine what damage a completely drunk kid could cause himself with some fire ropes.....

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Ahhh, chavs are becoming global!

Willy - is bad for your health...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
1 thing that happened to me though.... I was fire spinning at a party for the new year and some drunk kid stole the parafin whilst I was spinning adamant he knew how to fire breathe. I had to throw my staff to the floor and chase the drunken idiot before he harmed himself or others....some people are complete idiots....(luckily I caught him and expressed what would happen if he did anything like that again...)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I'm always getting my stuff nicked.... it might have something to do with the fact I'm always leaving it in corners, and I trust no-one will nick it.... but yeah, it always grows legs or meets someone with sticky fingers.

KlownyBRONZE Member
Disco Inferno
160 posts

Posted:
Yeah all nasty situations, and im not afraid to knock the kids out, but its also the fact none were drunk! they were completely sober and seemiongly just out to do damage, it was just plain malicious! I dont know how people can want to do things liek that, what sick pleasures people get out of causing others problems is beyond me.

"Only fools are positive! are you sure? Im POSITIVE"

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
I'm all for sharing the spinny love, but unless I am entirely sure someone is already a spinner(normally judged by the way someone asks to have a go etc) I am very reluctant to allow a complete stranger off the street to play with my equipment. I do however carry some practice poi with me most of the time,theyve been broken before and I dont mind anybody playing with them...I fingd it saves me a lot of hassle.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
Yep, ditto Blu.

The way people ask is key. The words PLAY, SPIN or TWIRL indicate whether they are ture poiers/staffers etc. Up untill now, Ive had no trouble with people abusing my equipment, they are very interested by what im doing, or want to learn new tricks.

Id definately say watch out for drunken begginers. I had many come up to me at the Bestival attempting to do quite difficult tricks. They dont take no for an answer either!!

You'll find me on the dance floor

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I usually play "Xander's Magical Name That Trick Game" with someone who I don't know asking to borrow my gear. I usually do something like a 3btweave-flower turn (a 3bt weave to reverse 3bt with one beat of flower thrown in as you turn) and act as though I don't know the name of it, most non-spinners won't notice the flower beat. I've also had people come up and tell me how to fire breathe while performing with the guy who ppractically taught me ("use lycopodium because paraffin is too dangerous and do this...") and have been told how to butterfly while doing TTN ("cross your wrists but don't switch your hands over").

I'm almost always willing to teach people how to spin so I carry a set of practice poi and a spare staff, made from a broom handle, that I give out to people who want to learn how to spin and have dayglo covers for my fire gear to show people what to do. I figure that one of the most important things about spinning is the willingness to spead the arts by teaching others.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
exessive force is your friend, if you are lucky enough to catch one, pin him to the ground no matter how much he cries until his mates give your stuff back, generally pinning them with an armlock, and maybe a knee on their spine does the trick, its my stuff, you take it i break you, also fire poi to the cheek would calm them down a tad.

My problem is im a skinny runt, and so they decide im easy prey, once you prove them otherwise you generally get your stuff back, and get to have a bit of fun

sorry this is the mood im in atm

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Aaahh paragraphs! I like paragraphs!

Fortunatly the only thing chavs ask me for is roll ups.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: blu_valley

I am very reluctant to allow a complete stranger off the street to play with my equipment.

redfaceooooo the inuendo ubblol

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ah what a bunch of bastards, probably kids with ADHD or something, seems to be loads of them about, especially the case with kids bashing the staff against a tree.

Im yet to have a tail to tell about this stuff, since I get embarresed about spinning infront of anyone, unless im surounded by other spinenrs.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

KradBRONZE Member
60 posts

Posted:
Aye was a little bit annoying tbh, I wouldnt say they had ADHD just seemed like a group of w*nkers, tho I dread to think what they will be like at my age *shudders*

Still the skin head was a lovelly guy, The Friendly Neighbourhood Cider Man! As I have adopted calling him, as he was drinking Strongbow... serprisingly ubblol

"Hold on tight to what you love and cherish, allways stand up for what you know to be right. Live everyday as if it were your last, and dont forget to smile!"

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Chavs are lame.

Had a bunch of 'em at school here strarting a fight big time during the fireworks.

Losers.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i sounded really violent then didnt i? i'm not i promise, im little and fluffy!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

Ah what a bunch of bastards, probably kids with ADHD or something, seems to be loads of them about, especially the case with kids bashing the staff against a tree.

Joe, I really don't know what you think you know about ADHD, but such a broad generalisation is not really fair. Did you know that several well respected members of HOP have ADHD. They don't beat staffs against trees.

Please could you be a little more measured before you make references like this again. Thanks

Chutney

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*raises hand*

I have ADHD.

*bashes Joe with a staff*

Sorry, mate, I just can't help myself. wink

hug

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Many youngsters don't know how to respect other people's property. And they are superprotective about their own stuff because they know it's not safe in the hands of others. It's a vicious circle, I see it everyday, I'm a teacher.
I'd say, follow your intuition. If you don't trust the person, don't be afraid to refuse. I've even lied before saying the stuff was not mine, I was borrowing it myself etc.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.