Forums > Help! > Importing to UK from USA?

Login/Join to Participate

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Hey all,
Story is I want to buy a new paintball marker. Problem is I can't get it from the UK so I have to import it. Now I know I will have to pay some sort of import tax and VAT and what not on it but I want to know how to figure it out as I don't really want to get stung on the price e.t.c. Does anyone know anything about this stuff. Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Import duty and tax is always a maybe, sometimes customs just let stuff through. It depends on what it says on the customs declaration. If you're charged any tax/duty you pay it to the delivery guy, so it's a good idea to have some cash in the house when he arrives.

It's next to impossible to estimate what the cost is going to be, as the customs people seem to value things differently from everyone else. I bought a load of second hand computers in Japan and shipped them over. Computers are exempt from VAT, but I got charged because I had to disassemble them, and aparently parts aren't exempt. I also got charged VAT on the value of new goods (I'd taken in to account the fact that customs are b******s, and didn't care, as I got the computers for free, so it was cheaper than getting them here).

There are duty rates buried deep in the uk customs websites, but the classification means things can fit into several groups.

If you can find a supplier in europe you'll have better luck with shipping and tax. I think in europe you just pay VAT at the rate of the country you're buying from, and customs let it go as there's an agreement between the countries. The only problem is finding sites in english.

I've been buyiong parts from Germany and Swizerland for LED poi, that are valued over £100, and not had to pay any extra tax on them. I got screwed when buying from the U.S. as I had to pay $18 shipping (no tax as it was under their ~£50 threshold). When the parcel arrived the postage label said $8, so I guess there's either a huge shortage of cardboard boxes and bubble wrap in the U.S., or I've found yet another company with a 'f*** you, you're not american' attitude.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
I got myself a lovely digital camcoreder on import from the USA and i am now starting to wish i hadn't. My advice would be take advice from someone who knows about this stuff, if you don't you may well regret it.
Tread carefully with this one.
Taking it easy
Trippie

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

likwidSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
could be wrong, but im pretty sure you only have to pay vat if you're ordering from and live in the uk. kinda like sales tax in the us -- you dont pay it if you live out of the state you're ordering from.

also.. to avoid it being bothered too much by customs, ask the shipper if they could say "gift // ncv" on the package, if they dont already do it. (ncv = no commercial value... cant be taxed if it doesnt have a commercial value, can it? smile )

thats what they did when i'd order records out of the uk.. never had a prob. w/ having to pay any kind of taxes.

i'd agree with polarity, tho.. if you can find what you're lookin for in europe, you'd save a bit on shipping. if not, then oh well.. you get what you pay for cool
EDITED_BY: likwid (1127251573)

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: polarity

I got screwed when buying from the U.S. as I had to pay $18 shipping (no tax as it was under their ~£50 threshold). When the parcel arrived the postage label said $8, so I guess there's either a huge shortage of cardboard boxes and bubble wrap in the U.S., or I've found yet another company with a 'f*** you, you're not american' attitude.

Lots of companies make stupid profits from the postage prices which is just wrong.

Import duty etc etc is so hit and miss its unreal.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't