Forums > Social Chat > If you had a million dollars....

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
what would you do?
i would spend it on....
a new computer...
a new guitar, a "Gibson" to be precise....
and...
a Black trench coat, like the one the older
priest had in "The Exorcist"...

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Can I have a million pounds instead? They're worth more.

$1m US = £628,813.80

whereas

£1m GB = $1,590,045.29

Plus I can spend it easier

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I would drive to San Francisco and get some Dim Sum, then I would fly immedeately to Heathrow airport in London and get some fish and chips and a bottle of Lilt, then off to Cornwall to get some of those brilliant pasties they have. I would do all of this whilst consuming enough VSOP congniac to drown a large horse (assuming the horse is a very good swimmer, of course)

Jesus helps me trick people.

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
hmmm... i would start off buyin a new mini cooper - red with a black and white cheaker board roof, black racin stripes on the bonnet, manual. save a fair bit of money to keep it registereed and insured for the future (thinkin ahead...) then... whuts left... ummm... life time supply of kero and kevlar... then... lots of hair dye so i can change it when i want... and then... a new comp. ummmm.... how much have i got left? hehe. ohhh i'd buy all the books i want (theres a shit load of books i want at the mo- probly equallin to about $500- thats only an esitmate.)
and any left over money- i would bank and gain lots of interest

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
A million dollars, American. Or a million pounds. that is a lot of money for a little girl...

I would buy an apartment or a little tiny cottage (money doesn't go far on houses in Sydney), & a new computer. I would give some to my parents, & some to my sister. I would buy an airbrush & a lot of canvas. And some wine, and a lot of food, and a personal trainer called Sveyn, and a car, and... when does this money run out?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Erm when you reach a million at a guess.

Meh

536 posts

Posted:
i dunno, i'm thinking aboot american money....
oh, i would also buy an electric scooter....

[ 09. November 2002, 15:09: Message edited by: LunchBox ]

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Either way you've still got loads left.

So far you've got a guitar, a scooter, a coat and a pc.

That can't come to much more than about $8000. If that.

You have to think bigger in these things I reckon.

For instance,Sickpuppy bought his way into rehab.

Meh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'd go out and buy a million lottery tickets. Dude, you'd HAVE to win.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Or better still. Tell noone you've one. Buy say a thousand lottery tickets and share them out amongst your friends.

Then if any of them win they're bound to share at least some of their good fortune with you. . .

Meh

536 posts

Posted:
ah and to top it all off....
an old VW stoner van!!!
like the "mystery machine"....
and the rest i would spend like at least 1000 on
grey tape, toilet paper, and eggs and use it on
Rich family houses...Yeah....
You know i find it easier to remove toilet paper from trees using the water hose and hosing it down....
It will dry on the ground eventually and then you can just rake it up....hmmm, years of experience has served me well....
darn little kids, comming up to this house and throwing meager toilet paper......at my trees...i got something for'em this year!!!
*laughing heartily, he bends over, and picks up a large "Wal-Mart" shopping bag full of rotting meat from his back door...then he walks over and pats the wheel to his homemade pumpkin launcher*
If they come within 90-80 yards of this house....
BAMMMM!!!!
right in the head with old hamburger meat!!!
They will never know what hit them!!!
genius, no?

[ 09. November 2002, 16:40: Message edited by: LunchBox ]

536 posts

Posted:
but lottery tickets is a good choice also.
Dude i would tottaly get some "Drunks' glasses"
they let kids wear to let them see what it is like when you are drunk, without actually getting drunk....and walk around the mall....
or whatever your idea is better...
*sinks slowly underneath the table...crawls out from underneath the table, and runs out of the room when no one is looking.*

Distorted Silencemember
217 posts

Posted:
I'd but that house near Ceres and sit on my ass all day going "aaaahhhh"

I'd also rebuild a room in the house specifically for Errol's needs, so he can have his own little bachelors pad, with a waterfall, constant food supply, heat rocks galore and as many extension cords he could want to climb.

You've got to move fast to beat the Devil - Your arm's too short to box with God.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I'd give my parents enough money to quit work and go travelling, which is their dream. I'd pay off my sister's morgage then she could stop setting herself limits so she can pay it. I'd fritter away a few thousands on clothes and other desirable items. I'd buy myself a small holding somewhere scenic and warm and live out my dream of becoming a writer. I'd invest the rest so SNOOPoi has a sizable chunk of inheritence to look forward to.

No wait, maybe I'll spend the whole lot on a chocolate factory!

Are we nearly there yet?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You could just leave loads of change in a big jar and SNOOPoi could reapropriate her own inheritance

Meh

Endermember
68 posts

Posted:
well, i'd pay off all my dues and my family's dues

then I'd donate like 50,000 to homeofpoi and 50,000 to glowsticking.com

then I could get into my camera hobby and buy a digital SLR (2000) and a bunch of lenses (5000)

I would sell my car (its actually pretty ok, like 6 months old now) and buy a BMW.

get some turntables so I can try spinning records (1500)

buy a crapload of glowsticks (1000)

stick the rest (about 500,000) into the bank. I'd take whatever interest I got per month and use that for buying/donating to whatever I want

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
I would like a miniature model of the alps constructed out of white powder, placed on a cute naked chick, sprawled across the bonnet of my new Ferrari F355.

And then I'd go harrass the people of London for "enough spare change to buy a cup of tea"

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

HavocHavoc
168 posts

Posted:
A MAN OF GOOD TASTE!!!

ferrari 355 is actually the most gorgeous car on the planet! although i was sverely tempted by the 360 for a while there!!!

Apart from that, I would buy toys! many many toys, one can never have too much aerotech... lol

oooh! and a 49er, which is a very fast sailing dingy, known as a death trap in the trade, but if there is anyone out there who happens to be looking for a crew?!?! they are fucking gorgeous boats for those who know nothing!

tra la la...

Havoc

you have to let it all go... Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free your mind!

Times like these people wanna get High...
Real High and Real Fast...
This is gonna do it!!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I'd buy a huge country house and start a commune - sad I know - but me and my friends have the skills to start one - we would use it as a health/ healing type of place.. children with special needs would be our ideal guests.. it's amazing what a little care and attention can do.

we would grow our own food, that wuold be my best friends job - another would look after the donkeys, as I'd buy the sactury of the old lady she works for - I would head up the massage and energy channeling side with another couple of friends..

One side on the mansion would be fully sound proof - to enable us to have lots of free parties..
Oh what a dream.. if only - one day...

Any one wanna come live with me? If so what special qualities would you bring to the gathering of people?

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
After the obvious and unavoidable spending spree, during which I'd buy myself a freshly restored Morris Minor, a Danelectro 59DC guitar and a metric arseload of cds and dvds along with something new and shiny to play them on, I'd buy some land (probably near Croyde in Devon) and build myself a house made from straw bales.

I'd stock it with whole loads of paint, dye and an assortment of other similar stuff, then live off the interest I'd be getting from the rest of the £million.

Actually, I'd probably go travelling a bit first, to find somewhere as near perfect as I can find to settle down, but Croyde is a good choice for now.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
I'd pay for everyone on HOP and all my friends and family to have a 3 week vacation in New Zealand in 2004, Can't imagine why i would choose that date, Hhhmmm i wonder???!!!!
Oh, and i'd probley hire Concord to fly us all there 1st class with enough booze and smoke to right off the first 2 days of the trip.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I would probably buy my dad a bigger place in S.France to start his holiday homes
Buy my mum a nice home in Purley (near London) as she wants to live there!
Give my sister some money towards her wedding.
Buy me a flat in central London (a biggish one)
Buy loads toys...Pink Flashey toys!
Whats left i shall save, in a high interest bank,

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Two chicks at once!
- Office Space

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

clairebearmember
52 posts
Location: jersey - Little rock, not quite there and almost h...

Posted:
MisStix,
can I put my mil into your commune? I'll also bring along a couple of organic farmers, a mechanic and some healers, (me I have Reiki and massage under my belt, and am learning Bach therapies) and musics and arts types.
Or possible set up something similar as a sister project and we can all visit here and there and be a holiday haven for each other.
also part of the pennies would go to buying a big van/trailer thing so that the free parties can be taken on the road every summer to wherever they are needed most.

Be Cautious of who you sniff, they could be an EnemyBig love and fluffy rainbow light in bundles. Bear xxx xxx xxx

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
ABSOLUTLY clairebear! You got the idea.. lots of good talented people - makig use of the talents they have instead of having to put stuff aside to firefight crap just to stay afloat in the money grabbing uncaring mainstream thingie of life..

Most of all being H-A-P-P-Y doing the things they love - I'll tell you a day in front of this 'puter thing tires me out - If I give 6 sessons of Reiki and energy channeling all I want to do is bounce off the walls squeeling in delight.. but instead today i am going to go home and just about manage to roll a smoke before I fall asleep.. oh well

Does anyone know wednesdays lottery numbers? if so PM me.. ta I have a dream to start here.

[ 12. November 2002, 06:10: Message edited by: MisStix ]

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
To the F355 requester, you couldn't get a new one as they don't make them any more. The F360 replaced it. You could get a new-to-you F355 though. And I agree, the F355 is a beautiful car.

$1 million huh? A nice amount. I'm assuming we don't have to worry about taxes for this response?

I would:
- finish my truck project just how I like.
- have a motorcycle custom built.
- go on vacation to Alaska. A cruise.
- go back to school.
- get a job somewhere nice doing something more interesting/fun than what I'm doing now.
- build a house with a nice game room.
- setup the game room with computers for LAN parties.
- Invest a bunch of it to watch it grow.
- save the rest for when the investments bomb out.

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...I guess I'd get myself some stuff. I mean, if you suddenly have a million bucks, you have to buy a new car, right? So I'd get a new car (not that my car needs replacing...in fact my car is quite nice, but hey...why not?).

I might actually move to an apartment closer to school than where I am (they're a bit more expensive).

I'd make sure I had enough put away/invested to get me through the rest of school and allow me to live a bit more comfortably in residency than most folks can afford to...

I'd buy an innercore staff, which I've been lusting after for a while...

The rest, I would give to my old co-op house at Stanford because they need the money for renovations.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

fire flymember
56 posts

Posted:
if i had $1 million id pay off my mums house help my dad get a house of his own save up so i can pay off my student loan when i finnished learning buy my step dad a boat and some fishing stuff and a house bus for me and if there is still money left over i will put it in a bank for when i need it.

ohh yea and i will get some pois for me mum and my sister and i will get some staffs for my step dad and brothers.

i think it would be fun having that much money who needs to work if they got that much money.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Set some up in an account for my son's college.
Invest some.
Put some in the bank for interest sake.
Pay off debts.
Buy an old but nice house with land in a remote location.
Travel and bum for a bit.
Buy a high quality voice ativated system for my comp so I could "write" and do other stuff at the same time.
Design costumes and sets for other people to make for me!
Keep on writing and performing, just now I could be more discerning, and I wouldn't have to teach the writing or performing (I'm not very good at that, I don't think!)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pantsonfirethe man with the flaming pants
148 posts

Posted:
I'd waste it in grand style!!!!
I'd buy some new toys of malcom, say one of each, a hell of a lot of kero, fie water and white gas, and post as many of you as i could afford a ticket to my place head out in to a paddock, with a giantic sound system. and have a professional crew make a film of it, i wouldnt pay them they can make money of it by selling the dvd/tape. hell yeah!
unfortunatly i dont think the rational side of my brain that craves security and certainty would let me but its a nice idea!!!

It's all good

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Amongst sensible investments and sizable acquisitions, I'd buy me an AC Cobra, similar to this sexy machine . Cobra Blue with white racing stipes. tan leather interior, timber dash and a small, hilly island to drive around.

My boss' friend just bought an island in the pacific. he gets to own it for 99 years. aside from eithics, HOW COOL IS THAT!?

I'd also throw the bestest psytrance party ever! handpicked participants, an exotic location and party favours galore!

[ 12. November 2002, 13:30: Message edited by: flash fire ]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Page: