Forums > Social Chat > FIREF@$KINGBAN!!!! ARG

Login/Join to Participate

fireboyAn angry young man with a passon for metal
252 posts

Posted:
Three little words that piss me off.
now in australia we have the big long hot no water comming this way season (dam)
which = no fire play
and if we have a repeate of early 2002 (sydney fires) we will have harsher fines for twirllers and water restrictions will go through the rooof
god dam i miss winter

Fireboy

<<SINister miNISister>>
remeber kids jesus slaves

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Which 3 words annoy you by the way? cos you neglected to actually say them in your previous post.

Meh

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
fire bans suck!!!
i live in a natural fire ban state dude...
alot in summer...but Wesa has Winter!
Frekin cold too!
i fell a sleep outside lastnight and gotta freking cold.

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
that's because there is no cloud to keep the heat in. You should go to the cloud shop and buy one.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
That sucks. I had to deal with that this last summer here. It was a horrible drought, or so they tell me anyway. We spun in places that were paved as not to be in any danger of burning anything.

Jesus helps me trick people.

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! YOU ARE SERIOUSLY TELLING ME THAT IN EXACTLY ONE MONTH TODAY I WILL BE LANDING SOMEHWHERE THAT HAS A FUCKING FIRE BAN WHEN THE MAIN REASON I'M GOING Is TO PLAY WITH FIRE WITH NEW PEOPLE???

YA BASTARDS!

Ahhh i dont care really cos in exactly one month ( did i mention one month??!) i'll be sat on a beach not gving a damn ahhhhh.....

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

Distorted Silencemember
217 posts

Posted:
heh, just cause there IS a fire ban, doesnt mean were not gunna twirl.....

Unless they come out with large pointy sticks and say "Fire. NO." in a really intimidatng way.

You've got to move fast to beat the Devil - Your arm's too short to box with God.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I think Flash was still twirling last year amidst the Sydney ban. So do not fear too greatly Vic.

Meh

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
QLD doesnt have a fire ban no more... unless one was put back on! ours got lifted at midnight wed, even there is a huge ass fir eon moreton island. (or there was) i am so outta the loop.

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

queen of wandsmember
127 posts

Posted:
Ummm... don't wanna piss anyone off here but I think it's missing the point a little. Just have a look at the evening news during a bushfire to see how dangerous it is to have fire in the bush during a hot season...

Unfortunately we need all the water we can get at the moment, and we are grabbed by the short n curlies if we have a fire!

I'm not vegetarian, but currently I'm off my chops!

fireboyAn angry young man with a passon for metal
252 posts

Posted:
true i HATE FIEBANS WITH A PASSION.
it is also sightly legal to firetwirll after 12 at night. but......
since we had fuckheads who thought: "hmmmm iknow lets start a fire and kill native wildlife and waist millions of dollars that the government could of spent something nice on."
wankers
note to aussie people whom are fire twirlling in the fire danger season befor 12 at night.....
look out for the police, i think and i am definalatly sure that they can and will prosicute you.
i got a warning 3 days ago.
they said next time it will be a fine.

Fireboy

<<SINister miNISister>>
remeber kids jesus slaves

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:
Hey there,

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but the fire bans are still in full swing.

Bookmark these sites to see how far reaching they are and for how long:
New South Wales Queensland

I'm a bit bummed out because I'm coming over from 2 January to 23 January and was hoping to spin with some new people too...

Fancy meeting up in Sydney anyway? I have some pretty lights too...

Cheers,
Carrey

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
A good thing with living in RAINY england is that we dont get many fire bans, i can only remember one...ages ago.
But the bad part is that its too wet to go and spin half the time

Alice

[ 13. November 2002, 06:12: Message edited by: Pink Poi ]

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Fire bans are going to be with us constantly this summer in NSW at least

The Bom site's fantastic in terms of finding out about fire warnings

bom site

Click on your state and choose the link to fire warnings.

They are updated in the morning and sometimes through the day. eg a day in Sydney last week was ok in the morning and upgraded to a total ban later that morning. Bans normally last for the day and expire at midnight. Sometimes they are reissued immediately.

It's worth checking the site just before you plan to twirl to get the latest conditions.

No fire ban last night in the Sydney Metro area - woohoo, lots of fire

Just a personal thought on adhering to fire bans - for my mind it's not so much the fire that you're playing with, its the fuel that gets spun out into dry areas making them much more easily combustable. It's what we leave behind that has the potential to be dangerous to the bush as well.

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
We are very fortunate in Denver to have a spot that is sort of out of the way and is entirely brick and concrete (and right next to a river) to light up. We were able to light up during the fire ban in City of Denver because the bicycle beat cop for Confluence Park is a nice sensible person (YAY Jim!) and was satisfied after checking it out that we had sufficent safety measures in place. Having a fire extinguisher right to hand goes a long way towards getting on the right side of your local authorities.

*Warning: unsolicited advice ahead!*

If you are spinning lit somewhere and a cop approaches, i really advise having the spinner lay their wicks down so that the safety can approach the officer.
Say hello and ask if they have seen firedance before. Tell them what safety measures you have available and how you chose your spot to be as safe as possible.
If you are proactive and polite, you have a pretty good chance of getting off as easily as that particular officer will go. Most officers are used to having people treat them pretty poorly, so just being friendly can make quite a difference.
Most of them really are just doing their jobs, and like the one idiot who lights up someones livingroom, there's always that one asshole cop who spoils it for the rest of them.
If they shut you down and tell you to leave, i strongly recommend picking another area to go to. If you just come back later and light up again, the officer will be pissed off if they catch you and that's when things go bad...

Sorry for the speech, it's just that my dad was a cop for a long time, and how he treated people was directly related to how they treated him. Cops are not the enemy. Idiots are.
Idiots are why we have firebans...

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmmm.

I am confused. We have Fire restrictions during summer, and on the really hot days we have Total Fire Bans.

What exactly is the difference??

So much fire, so little body hair...

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
Fire restrictions: usually fires must be in an eclosed fire-structure (barbeque, paved firepit, fireplace, etc), and they hope people will not burn)

Fire ban: No outdoor fire.
(In some places you'll see woodburning resrictions, usually due to air quality, and they are just "the air sucks today, please don't add to smoke".)

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
So, is in an old disused warehouse considered to be outside???

So much fire, so little body hair...

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
Not by me!

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Zoltar - not sure what you mean about fire restrictions in Australia. Can you elaborate your understanding of that term? We have fire danger ratings (e.g., high to very high fire dangers) and fire bans as far as I know?

A fire ban essentailly means no naked flame - you really ought to even smoke indoors

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
The Aust Bureau of Meteorology
(ie the government department for twirling meteors)
are the body that dispenses said weather warnings and also cool behind-the-back throws.
the victorian warnings can be read here!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

pantsonfirethe man with the flaming pants
148 posts

Posted:
Yeah no fire resitictions here!!! northern nsw!!!
yeah i find , cops are cool, but i once had a run in with the counsil rangers from the sunshine coast!!!! the police had already cleared me the same night but the rangers hasseled me big time!!! i was polite and very nice to them and they let me off with out a fine also being a holiday maker helped me get off, but i was very annoyed.
stupid fire bans, they do in deed sux!!!
ussaully us fire spinners are safer with fire than others (even though in the past i have been known to do some pretty stupid things(repentant attitude now resides)) , burns are a good teacher!!! no but i understand why we need them. i'd hate to loss everything, that would sux more than our fire bans annoyances collectively!!!!
but yeah they are an inconvenience, especially for those who are travelling here i feel for you man, but if you do break the ban do it on a less frequented beach, at my spots i rarely see other people let alone cops. and sand doesnt burn to well, just dont spin close to the dunes!!!

[ 13. November 2002, 22:02: Message edited by: pantsonfire ]

It's all good

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Fire restrictions are an annual event during summer in Vic and other states of Australia, when lighting fires in the open requires a permit.

Follow the link for info on VIC restrictions or NSW restrictions.

Just do a net search, if you need info for other countries/regions/places.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh