Forums > Social Chat > The Official 2006 World Cup in Germany Thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I know its early but I'm sooooo excited! So I felt the need to make a post rambling about some of the selection stuff.

First off no-one seemed to mention England loosing to Northern Ireland, which was just sad guys.... good for Northern Ireland, yes, they played well, but the British arn't getting it together (When do they ever in qualifyers tho? biggrin)

In SA Brazil and Argentina are of course qualified but the other (2/3) spots are still quite open... (rather open, whatever). I'm rooting for UY (still the smallest country to ever win a world cup! w00t!) but of course my preferences just don't count do they? tongue

Back to europe (the only other zone that matters tongue) Ukrane qualifying was a big surprise... cool tho... don't know anyone from there but if your about you should make yourself known! smile
CZE looks great, again. I'm pulling for them at least a little.
And croatia is looking decent. This is an impressive one.... my familys from thereabouts smile
austria, on the other hand, is sucking. which makes me sad.
Other than that I noted poland is doing pretty well (and britain still has to play them tongue)

Anyone else have anything to say?

biggrin

can't wait.... i really wish i could be in a country that actually televises the d*mn thing.....

bounce

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
smile right. My post wasnt intended as tapping my own shoulder as genius.
It was rather intended as sum up of what I've seen watching every game including an outlook based on my previuos outlook (that wasnt entirely wrong biggrin)

There was much rumble as ever about Europe being overrated, not deserving 14 seats, especially from Africa who claims a 5th seat.
Now only 1 African team is through to second round, their teams combining 10 points in 12 games (=36 possible points), and Ghana benefitted from a very dicy penalty while the 2 top Czech strikers fell out because of injuries ...

cool *Not commenting on the highfyling ambitions of worldrank 5 last semifinalist USA, last quarter finalist Korea, Japan, Irans "best team ever" ... its sport*

Lets see tonight, both games will be TOUGH even though I hope to see Germany and Argentina through ...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Nobody really had the USA doing much. They were clearly ranked 5 because of who they qualified against. As you can see, they were 125-1. They're clearly a mid level team that can get lucky and tie Italy or play poorly and lose to Ghana.

The US only made it to the Semis last time because they played Mexico which is the one team in the planet that they can consistantly beat.

I don't see sneaking into a quarter final and getting destroyed as a sign of a good team. (Korea, Japan, USA after beating Mexico.)

I certainly won't be surprised in 4 years if Ghana doesn't break the quarters.

Any mid level team can have a good game and beat (or tie) a higher level team. But to win 3 games like that (quarter, semi, finals) I think you'd actually have to be good.

The clock has struck 12 and it's time for Cinderella to go home.

Goodbye Ghana and Goodbye Australia. The big boys are going to play football now.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
YAY YAY YAY for Germany biggrin

Boo for seeing the world's prettiest team go frown

Also boo for losing some of the free money the bookies gave me because I over-estimated Argentina, but yay cause I put some on Germany, too, in spite of all the doubts I had biggrin

Oh, and YAY for Klinsmann bringing the team so far despite all the know-it-alls like Beckenbauer and Matthäus telling him off all the time.

And YAY for Podolski finally wakig up and showing class biggrin

And happy 60th, mum smile Not that she'll read it, but she made me miss the 2nd half for her party ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Bend it like...

Hee hee... OK, I'll shut up about this but I thought the rest of the world might like to know what was on US network television instead of the World Cup game.

WB: Stupid Comedy (repeat),
UPN: Stargate Atlantis (repeat),
ABC: Golf,
FOX: NAASCAR,
NBC: HALF PIPE SKATEBOARDING COMPETITION,
CBS: yes, you guessed it... TEXAS HOLD EM POKER.

What a silly country I live in.

I guess if you can't tell the difference between the Netherlands and Portugal a soccer game between the two isn't that interesting. Though watching cars turn left or watching other people play cards isn't that exciting to start with...

Sign from the TV Gods to get out of the house. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I want to go and be a hooligan and watch the game on the big screen in the city tonight...but none of my mates want to go! Even though I am a little scared cos there is going to be about 10,000 people there!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

Goodbye Ghana and Goodbye Australia. The big boys are going to play football now.

umm

at least you don't have to get up at 1am to watch the game live...

bloody northern hemisphere ubblol

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Well, Germany and Argentina (no surprises) england (barely, but ecuador didn't get it together) and portugal, whom i was expecting to go out in the next round, but.... they just won a game with nine players and an injured keeper, maybe they've got something going for them! Certainly england hasn't been playing well so I'll call for them to make it through... (portugal, that is) Brazil obviously, and personally I favour the Ukraine to Switzerland. ... I'm missing two teams. Oh yes, Spain, of course, france has been sucking, and.... er... well I'm sure Ukraine was the only slightly odd team I was picking anyway. Oh, whoever is playing australia! Erm... they'll win I'm sure wink which means brasil and oh yes, italy, for the next round. (ok, I looked it up). how boring. I think I'll root for australia.

So why was Beckham wearing a long sleeved shirt?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kyrian

I think I'll root for australia.

hey! eek ubblol

keep your mind out of the gutter ubblol ubblol

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

at least you don't have to get up at 1am to watch the game live ... bloody northern hemisphere

ahem, I got bad news for you biggrin the Earth rotates sideways, so next WC in South Africa still means you have to get up at 1 am

The good news is you might have a slight chance against Italy should they again dont get their act together and Austrailia fight as brave as ever, but I only expect the latter ...

Yeah, no surprises so far in round 2, apart from HOW Germany smile and England frown won their games. Portugal will pay for those yellow/redcards dearly ...

Brazil, Portugal, Germany, Italy in the semis ...

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
INFAMY!
That was no penatly, never. I guess the ref was tired to run on and made a concession for the red card. Also, Italians have divers track record falling like autumn leaves in the endzone ... sorry Australia.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I stayed up with my friends and watched the game and we've spent the last 30 minutes cursing the free kick. Pfft. That was rubbish!

frown

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying

oh well, that's the best Australia's ever done! wooohoo, good work guys

...wanders out mumbling something about the acting skills of the italians.... eek

at least my sleeping pattern can return to normal now ubblol
EDITED_BY: Ade (1151361877)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
penalty kick, no? because there were no people? and what beckham did, with people in the way, was a free kick? Or am I wrong?

So, Brasil, Germany, Ukraine, Portugal in the semis tongue But Portugal will pay big time for all those cards.... man, germany and brazil in the final, booo-ring. tongue

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Well. 'twas no penalty, but it wasn't really a red card for the Italian guy either (and let's not even start on cards in the Portugal match...). Pity for Australia, but they had 95 minutes to score, and most of that against 10...

And the Ukraine match was (and I hoped I would never have to say that) worse than yesterday's England match. Again pity I can't say "Hopp Schwyz" anymore, but if you don't score in 90 minutes, or even 120. Hmmm.

Not sure whether I think Italy or Ukraine will win after those crxp games, and the same with a bad England against Portugal without 2 good players!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Damn Italy always likes to play dirty! what an absolute joke!

However considering we had never even scored at a world cup before, making it into the round of 16 is slightly DAMN GOOD methinks.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kyrian

penalty kick, no? because there were no people? and what beckham did, with people in the way, was a free kick? Or am I wrong?

Yes Miss 'Let me propetuate all steriotypes about my country and my sex by starting a thread in a sport that I know nothing about'...

But aren't their outfits cute?

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I always thought the shorts were good for showing off nice arses biggrin

(G.W. Dahlquist)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Hey, I understand offsides perfectly. You can't tell me I know NOTHING about it tongue

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Brazil, Portugal, Germany, Italy in the semis ...

4:2 ... Here we go ... Achtung Italy biggrin

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
huh, no brazil.....

well.... there it is people. and portugal BETTER take down france. so, germany vs portugal for the finals then?

(Oh yeah, I watched the second half of the england game outside a taqueria with two older/hot british guys and a bunch of jamaicans. It was fun and mildly surreal).

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
*dose the numa numa dance*

HAHAHAHAHAHA what a load of spazztards the england team are ubblol

at least now all those morons can take those annoying england flags off their cars and shove them where the sun don't shine ubblol

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Le tour de France a commence ... wow. Amazing how France has suddenly found its plot and delivered 2 good games in a row deserving to eliminate Spain and Brazil. Good to see Zidanes magic 2 last times ...

Brazil, well in this shape its no big surprise that they lost, the surprise is how these mega player never made a team, relied on single strong moments, offside traps and generally played without passion, speed or imagination.

England has also played without passion, speed and imagination. Hampered by injuries, they went back to kick n rush and again failed on their historic trauma penalties, again against Ricardo ...

Generally, its a surprise to me that the fast, offensive, everybody runs in rows Champions league style wasnt played by the English and Brazil teams, whose player master this modern football in their home teams in England and Spain every single day.

From the remaining teams, Germany has been playing the most offensive, fast and modern football and its the only team that has grown from game to game and shown some passion. Clear favorites now but in a ko round of the last 4, that doesnt mean much as cliffhanger are about to come.

The semis have always been the best matches in big tournaments. I guess we'll be up for an exciting Tuesday ...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I wish I didn't have to work frown

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Well, France have been growing from match to match, too, but then they started pretty low this year! But yeah, I'm still surprised to see Germany playing that well, and the head-head-combination with the goal against Argentina was ace. Plus the defence is getting better, too!

I actually bought a footie t-shirt before going back to the UK, and it got me lots of positive comments on the plane. What an unusual feeling wink

oh, and a hug for all England-fans. Not a nice way to lose frown

(G.W. Dahlquist)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Dont worry, we're used to going out on penalties wink

Also, I cant make a valid team umm

I only have 2 forwards to choose from (Henry or Saha) but I need three minimum. I have looked through the 4 teams that are still in it and I can only choose thos two.

WTF?!? confused

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I fixed it by choosing Viduka! biggrin

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
it's what I did last week, I was out of money so my spare was a cheap Australian ubblol

*ducks and awaits thrown sock poi*

(G.W. Dahlquist)

mr_tamborien_boymember
33 posts
Location: Leeming, Perth, Western Australia, Australia, worl...

Posted:
all i have to say is

suks to support brazil and england

they suk ballies

i new france would beat themn

"Shine on you crazy diamond"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
umm

England never played France confused

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I think I used walcott to the same purpose. Then you have him sit out. You still have a valid team, but no oppurtunity to substitute. Unfortunately there's loads less choice now, and I think managers are almost in a position to make a big difference, altho of course captains will as well.... (I've been making bad choices for mine since the second week :/ Like, yknow, I had multiple players last week earning 12 points a shot, and my captain? what? 2. Disgraceful.)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Page: ...