Forums > Social Chat > The Official 2006 World Cup in Germany Thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I know its early but I'm sooooo excited! So I felt the need to make a post rambling about some of the selection stuff.

First off no-one seemed to mention England loosing to Northern Ireland, which was just sad guys.... good for Northern Ireland, yes, they played well, but the British arn't getting it together (When do they ever in qualifyers tho? biggrin)

In SA Brazil and Argentina are of course qualified but the other (2/3) spots are still quite open... (rather open, whatever). I'm rooting for UY (still the smallest country to ever win a world cup! w00t!) but of course my preferences just don't count do they? tongue

Back to europe (the only other zone that matters tongue) Ukrane qualifying was a big surprise... cool tho... don't know anyone from there but if your about you should make yourself known! smile
CZE looks great, again. I'm pulling for them at least a little.
And croatia is looking decent. This is an impressive one.... my familys from thereabouts smile
austria, on the other hand, is sucking. which makes me sad.
Other than that I noted poland is doing pretty well (and britain still has to play them tongue)

Anyone else have anything to say?

biggrin

can't wait.... i really wish i could be in a country that actually televises the d*mn thing.....

bounce

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I just wanna say that I spent my year in Germany one year too soon ubbcrying

But I'll be glued to the games when they decide to play them here. Last time they had pretty good coverage, but since I got home, I haven't been able to find much good sports on. I mean, I *just* missed the last Formula 1 race by a few hours. I suppose if I were a dedicated fan, I would've set my alarm to wake up in time, but alas, I'm not like my boyfriend! (who got me on F1 in the first place...)

Wait, this is about the world cup...

I'm interested to see how Korea plays this time, I recall them playing rather well... Even through they were partially hosting it!

On another note, I've been in 2 of the new stadiums that will be hosting some of the games, and wow, they're huge and shiny, and BIG! I watched the... Confederations cup? The short games when FIFA tests out the new facilities made for the world cup. Much better than what the olympics did in anycase...

Pitifully enough, I don't even know when the world cup starts... *runs off to find out*

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

First off no-one seemed to mention England loosing to Northern Ireland

Football has been overshadowing by the cricket this year. I hate football, and the footballers. Overpaid bastards.

Willy - is bad for your health...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
overpaid but more interesting than cricket to watch... film stars are even more overpaid but I bet you watch films... wink ahhh the entertainment industry football, like a big play with a limited script.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
AAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhh

football, i'll be doing my damdest to avoid ANYTHING to do with football mad

i totaly agree football players are over paid, they are also pampered like women and have no place on my telly screen!!!

give me rugby any day

or motor sport

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
If you don't like football, surely you can just ignore us? I mean, I understand, I hate american football..... And its not every country that they're overpaid you know. England just has this... culture or something.

Yeah, Korea did qualify again, along with, among other things saudia arabia and iran.... i prolly do write off non european-SA countries too much... i don't know when the real games start yet either (what a dork!) but i know when the last two qualifying match dates are (then there's european playoffs... and aus vs somewhere in SA).

So many motorsport references... I would hate it so if i only knew of american motorsport..... but i'm gaining some appreciation.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mynci

overpaid but more interesting than cricket to watch... film stars are even more overpaid but I bet you watch films... wink ahhh the entertainment industry football, like a big play with a limited script.

England footballers are overpaid, and play [censored].

At least the big earning actors do their job well, deserving their money. tongue

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I disagree about the big earning actors. better, maybe. well, not most!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

i don't know when the real games start yet either (what a dork!)

The real games actually start next year. So... to me, that's far enough to not really have to worry about the exact day yet ubblol

Oooh, and sorry about bringing up the motor sports! :P

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Aw, don't worry, "my" boy just about worships F1....

And guys in race suits are hot smile

Its just, on this side of the pond its... er... different!

Plus I couldn't belive we had so many motor sport posts in the thread tongue biggrin

I'm hijacking my own thread... but its still 23 days till the next match day.....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yay! More stuff... I was gone over the weekend, but I just got a chance to check out all the games....

most of the qualifying is over realy, just europe thats being so slow tongue smile

can't belive englands qualified already,..... how unusual.......

i'm worried about cze tho, they arn't looking so good :/ need a win on weds to make it thru!

paraguay and ecuador from s.a., whoohoo, pretty cool, and uruguay isn't out yet... smile looks like they'll be playing australia (I sure hope they don't mess that up!) for a spot, so i'm crossing my fingers for them....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
*totally hates football*

biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"First off no-one seemed to mention England loosing to Northern Ireland"

I did biggrin

In my intro thread.

We were very pleased. One of the most marvellous sporting moments in recent history, it's fair to say.

Huge parties in Belfast... and no trouble at all - which was fantastic. biggrin

And it was another splendid game against Wales at the weekend - 3-2.

Both teams played very well, and N Ireland were unlucky not to equalise.

G'on the lads biggrin biggrin biggrin

bounce

Getting to the other side smile

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
i want to go...

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
https://www.fifa.com/default.html

look here for tickets... smile I think it's a draw (at least it is in Germany), but the prices seem reasonable for a world cup.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ok, I must post my rant and then go to bed...

Firstly, YAY! Uruguay won... and will now face off with the aussies. last time they did this they kicked arse, so yeah smile

England did a rather spectacular job against poland, I was most amused. And apparently Michael Owen isn't as useless as people have been making him out to be.

Moving on, France absolutly dominated, giving them somewhat of a surprise spot, and I called the spain thing early... serbia still won thru and spain is merely seeded for the playoffs. Nonetheless I expect spain to pull thru unless paired with slovakia in which case its up in the air and possibly quite interesting. I hope they are, as I don't think Slovakia can take turkey or Cze... and I don't want Cze to get out anyway.

Oh and costa rica (qualified) got an ass kicking but it didn't seem to effect anything tongue

/end rant

but yay! Uruguay won! biggrin

(oh, and does anyone else really want to see serbia play croatia? this amuses me endlessly.....)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
But even more important: Sweden are coming smile The aesthetic aspect of the World Cup is saved ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol

thats brilliant birgit....

and firepoise, I'm sorry I never noticed, I, um, have a horrible time with intros still. I'm doing maybe 1/3 of those I want to at this point, as they're horribly hard to keep up on. Its especially brilliant that the parties went well in Belfast!

smile

Well, Fridays the draw for the european playoffs...

Does anyone know if the UK will televise the Uruguay/Australia matches, by chance?
I'll be over there during that time, and I must support that wonderful country.....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
*hates football*

*notices many people in this thread do*

biggrin biggrin biggrin

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

1,019 posts

Posted:
Can't beat N.Ireland, but can beat Poland.

The English team makes no [censored] sense.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'm sure you'll get them in some pubs with pay tv smile try Australian-frequented places.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yay! Slovakia is matched with Spain! C'mon Slovakia!

I remain vaguely worried about cze but hopeful, as norway hasn't exactly been spectacular so far.

And an aussie bar is a brilliant idea. Hopefully that'll all sort itself out nicely.... I hope no-one actually wanted me to do anything during those times.....

biggrin

And yes, the english team does make absolutly no sense... but they're amusing anyway!

edit: It occurs to me both games are going to be at ridiculous times. At best, I think it will be 2am-ish for the game in montevideo, and I'm not sure enough of what happens when we do the next time change to predict the time in sydney, but I'm suspecting something else relatively useless.....
EDITED_BY: Kyrian (1129297914)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
As long as Norway qualify I don't really care if it's Slovakia or Spain in the other match... Norge! ubblove

(G.W. Dahlquist)

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Yeah, American football pricks < English football prick athletes.

As someone who follows "soccer" or football in England and lives in the US, I think we have it worse off.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ok, here's my next rant... as the draw's finally happened! The sad part is its now six months till we get anything else....

Prelim predictions:
Group A- Germany will probably come out on top but unsure as to ecuador or poland being second...
Group B- England will dominate, but paraguay or sweden could be second... slightly favouring paraguay.
Group C- Argentina and the Netherlands, in some order.
Group D- Mexico and Portugal but I fully admit thats a shot in the dark. Technically I wouldn't be surprised with any combination form this group... at this point. Have to see how people are playing!
Group E- Czech Republic dominating, unsure about second, probably Italy tho.
Group F- Brazil and Croatia will fight it out in what I expect to be the most interesting first round match, altho not technically the most interesting group since I fully expect them to smack the other two teams, each.
Group G- Korea and Switzerland, why not. But I'm not standing on that one, France has a shot as well.
Group H- Ukraine all the way, newcomers or no! Spain *should* slide in for second, but I wouldn't garuntee it.

And for fun shot in the dark type theories.. will update this closer to actual play of course!
Match 49: Germany, regardless of who's second
Match 50: Wildcard, I'm not going to call this this far out.
- And I'd say Germany next step
Match 51: Likely England, but a definate chance for an upset.
Match 52: Another wildcard....
-England, but with knowledge this is far from odds on
Match 53: Possibly the best round of 16 match, Cze against brazil or croatia... I would say Cze if croatia, but brazil if brazil...
Match 54: I'll call for Korea
-Tricky, but whoever wins 53 I think
Match 55: Brazil or Croatia, whichever gets this slightly easier draw- and thus is doing the best anyway!
Match 56: Ukraine
-This may be the best round of eight match, I think I'll call for the winner of 55 tho...

Which means, final four, I'm very nearly expecting Brazil to play Croatia again... Although Could be CZE against the other of the pair. And Ukraine has a chance. The bottom half is very very interesting... as far as the top, I'd say probably germany regardless of who they take on - and then would predict germany's loss in the finals to whoeever the heck wins the bottom half.

Anyone else fancy sharing predictions?

Cheers!
-The insane Kyri....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Group A: gotta be Germany, though we're crap really, and then probably Poland.
B: England, then Sweden. We can't lose Sweden in the 1st round. Nonono! ubblove
C: Netherlands and Argentina, though I'd love the Ivory Coast to get through.
D: Portugal and Angola. Wild guess here, too smile
E: Italy and Czech Rep
F: Brazil and Croatia
G: South Korea and France
H: Spain and Ukraine.

No idea about after that, I'll do that when we get there! Have to get everyone here to put some money in!

By the way, Germany Poland is (violence-related) the possible worst combination for a group. The hooligans have already have street fights to see who'll "rule the streets" during the tournament. I hope they keep everyone else out of their fights frown

(G.W. Dahlquist)

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
im going to the first game biggrin

taking the poi

weavesmiley weavesmiley

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
OMG you suck. what a lucky lucky ducky.

Me and a coworker are gonna make one of those match chart thingys and predict stuff. I hope its slow tomorrow because that sounds like a lot more fun than anything else I can think of (and monday is time enough to have a crazy work day).

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
this should be the official english sogn wink

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
I am no big football hooligan but I must say I saw every game of the EC 04 and it was outstanding sport, knuckle biting drama on the lawn, lots of magic moments and quite a few surprises. That will happen again on a bigger scale, so watch those games!

I guess the ususal suspects, Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina will go quite far again. England was on my hotlist too, but without Rooney they lost the edge. France and Czech are strong teams, but with downward momentum and their best player unfit or near retirement.

Upcoming teams to watch are Holland (Nistelroy), Ukraine (Shevchenko), Sweden (Ivaniesevic), Mexico (impressive team in 05 Confed cup) and the USA (worldrank #5).

African teams will struggle ans they hit very strong groups, Spain and Portugal are strong on paper but have a tradition to arrive with highflying hopes and then stumble over their own feet. Korea wont be able to reapeat their WC 02 performance that had been fueled by them running like rabbits still in 88 minute, cheering spectators and very dubious referee decisions.

On paper, this is what I see coming but as said, I am expecting surprises like the Greec miracle in 04, as "the ball is round and the game lasts 90 minutes" (Sepp Herberger).

AF1: Germany - Sweden

AF2: Argentina – Portugal

AF3: England- Poland

AF4: Mexico – Holland

AF5: Italy - Croatia

AF6: France - Ukraine

AF7: Brazil - Czech

AF8: Switzerland - Spain

QF1: Germany-Argentina

QF2: England-Holland

QF3: Italy-France

QF4: Brazil-Spain

SF1: Germany-Holland

SF2: Italy-Brazil

Final: Germany-Brazil

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Ooooh I don't know who to support if Germany plays Sweden. Not fair!!!

Though if you're right about SF1 it's no question ubblol

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Page: ...