Forums > Social Chat > The Official 2006 World Cup in Germany Thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I know its early but I'm sooooo excited! So I felt the need to make a post rambling about some of the selection stuff.

First off no-one seemed to mention England loosing to Northern Ireland, which was just sad guys.... good for Northern Ireland, yes, they played well, but the British arn't getting it together (When do they ever in qualifyers tho? biggrin)

In SA Brazil and Argentina are of course qualified but the other (2/3) spots are still quite open... (rather open, whatever). I'm rooting for UY (still the smallest country to ever win a world cup! w00t!) but of course my preferences just don't count do they? tongue

Back to europe (the only other zone that matters tongue) Ukrane qualifying was a big surprise... cool tho... don't know anyone from there but if your about you should make yourself known! smile
CZE looks great, again. I'm pulling for them at least a little.
And croatia is looking decent. This is an impressive one.... my familys from thereabouts smile
austria, on the other hand, is sucking. which makes me sad.
Other than that I noted poland is doing pretty well (and britain still has to play them tongue)

Anyone else have anything to say?

biggrin

can't wait.... i really wish i could be in a country that actually televises the d*mn thing.....

bounce

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well there are more mexican fans in the US than US fans. Or mabye me living in Los Angeles made it seem that way. I've got vivid memories of the US team getting booed in introductions when playing Mexico in what was essentially an "away game" in Los Angeles a few years back.

smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
*is still in shock from us actually winning *

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
*cried after every goal in Aus vs Japan*

This is why I love world cup.. its the only time I get emotional about sport...

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
wow, three good games today in some fashion or another, looking forward to tomorrow. I thought croatia looked very good out there today, anyone else? I mean of course they lost, but the goal they gave up was, well, just very well played by the brasilian side. What do you expect?

And switzerland vs france was just... well... funny!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Great world cup so far and a lot of exciting games, more tofollow.

Best game so far Argentina vs Ivory Coast in the group of death. Most disappointing game France - Switzerland.

To note that ALL African teams have lost their 1st games. Ivory coast is very strong, but Argentina + Holland may be too much, though IC 'd make any other group.

I see my guess still on track: Argentina, Italy, Brazil (will get better), Germany (crowd as 12 man).

Czech, Holland, England strong but probably not enough to go all the way.

Surprise team: Ecuador as extremely disciplined team, tightening the space very well

Disappointing teams: France, Poland, Portugal.

If the Aussies are really smart and have the nerves, they might the put a B team against Brazil, let the A team recover and try beating strong Croatia in game 3, that tactic worked in the 1954 miracle ...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Which group are you calling the 'group of death'?

Over here it's the US, Italy, Czech, and Ghana.

Three top 5 teams (yes yes... US clearly overrated... yada yada...)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Only two top five teams. According to FIFA, Italy are ranked 13th

USA ranked fifth! Blimey...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Sorry, group E appears a walk in the park for Italy and Czech, true game will be amongst the 2, loser to play Brazil and then go home ...

Group of death is C IMHO, Aregntina and Holland will get through, but Ivory Coast and Serbia would come second in any other group.

Lets see ...

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
hehehe... easy to see why the US call their group the group of death ubblol

*ducks to avoid tomatoes flying at her*

Agree with ZeroG. I thought the England group was quite hard, too, but that was before I saw Sweden play frown

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

Only two top five teams. According to FIFA, Italy are ranked 13th

USA ranked fifth! Blimey...

Sweet, then the Italy game should be a walk in the park. I was worried.

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Haha, I get $5 if italy wins. My boss offered me $20 originally, then changed his mind despite swearing it'd be an easy game. I guess he thinks more of me and my half-ecuadorian friends opinions of the teams than his own. He did give us each $5 on it tho, we're looking forward to it tongue

So, having actually watched all of group one, and the amazing game of poland today (how did they hold out so damn long?) I have to say I'm more confused than ever. Brasil is clearly still going to make it to the final four, along with what i *think* will be ecuador and germany... and maybe croatia? or spain? Its really quite the toss up! I wonder if i calculated that correctly... well, I'm at work, so whatever, but i'm gong to miss all the games in the second set i really want to see :/

But france was really pretty bad.... So bad I dropped henry in my fantasy league for the top dutch guy, i will spell his name wrong if i try it.... and i wanted to grab rosicky (what an awesome player!) but I hadn't enough transfers, for shame. Blah blah blah. I've seen a few cute players at least tongue

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
That sounds like a plan...

biggrin

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Australia beat Japan bounce clap clap wow

I feel like we've already won the world cup eek ubblol

And we're at the top of our pool eek ubblol

for the moment shrug

Bring on Brasil!'

eek

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Germany-Poland 1-0... YAY, we're nearly through to the next round smile

I was SO upset that they had so many chances and didn't score, and then they did just in extra-time!!!

Oh, and the defence, while not exactly being brilliant, is getting better. Watch out Sweden (or Paraguay)! biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Come on England! Come on ENGLAND!!! clap beerchug

all the blokes in the office are talking non-stop about the footie.... making me all excited now!

30 mins to go and I'm off to the pub beerchug

Hope the boys don't f**k it up!!! wink

bounce2 bounce bounce2

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Hells your leaving a little early, kick off isnt until 5 wink not 4

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hehehe... I actually put a bet on England leading after the first half (got 20 pounds to sign up on a betting website and spend a minumum of 10), so I hope they won't let me down!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
C'mon Engerland!

biggrin bounce

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmm..... I shall mainly be driving while the footballs on....may just catch the end of it thou! biggrin

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Its about time Crouch scored after those two crap mess ups he had earlier.

One - Nill!

biggrin bounce2

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Sweden 1 - Paraguay 0 biggrin

Freddie scored ubblove

Makes it quite interesting... we might have Sweden, Paraguay or England against Germany now smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I hate to burst your bubble but paraguay is out! Only sweden, england, or TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO can make it through now! (There's some t&t flags flying in my neighborhood actually).

In the next round even if paraguay wins they get 3. If T&T wins they will have 4, tieing with sweden. If sweden wins, they win the group of course...

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
oh... got the results mixed up there. That's even better, I think (apart from England being too strong for our defence anyways) that Paraguay play the style we'd be worst against...

But Freddie scored biggrin

(G.W. Dahlquist)

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Worst time to have exams! mad We watch some of the games in school, when we really should be studying... I just can't look away when it's on though!

~ Bobo

Edit: Is there any reason I shouldn't order a Germany jersey online? I mean, other than the fact that I owe money... But they're soooo much cheaper online than they are in store!!! Compare $60 to $100!!! HELLO!!! I want to order one soo bad!!
EDITED_BY: OrangeBobo (1150459969)

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

DragosaniGOLD Member
sunset seadragon
679 posts

Posted:
Go, GO , GO Socceroos !!!!!

“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” - Oscar Wilde
Jointly owned by FreyaJ, Birgit and Aurinko

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I feel like there have been quite a few near upsets but no huge upsets yet.

I wonder if there are any in the making... the cup is still young.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
On a totally unrelated note, I find it odd that in the 'standings' list on most websites (including FIFA) there is no designation for a team that has 'clinched' the next round.

Usually, in the US if a team has clinched the next round they'll put an asterix after it. In American Football they put an 'x' after a team that has clinched the next round (playoffs) and a 'y' that has team that has clinched the next round in first place, (basketball even has a z if they clinch as the best in the league.) If anybody actually cares: this NBA basketball standings is what I mean.

It's just strange since there are many teams and many groups to keep track of. Or is there some special way that I'm not seeing?

[I know the top two advance but there's no designation when a team is assured of being in the top two, like Germany after winning two games.]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

Germany-Poland 1-0... YAY, we're nearly through to the next round smile

I was SO upset that they had so many chances and didn't score, and then they did just in extra-time!!!

Noo! That was not a "YAY" moment for me. I wanted the Polish to win. We've never won against the Germans.

frown

Willy - is bad for your health...

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
The surprises will come in the ko round ...

Germany was a big YAY moment for me too and a well deserved victory after so many near misses. Ecuador is very strong, but we can make that too ... even though I am starting to think I'd prefer England next match over Argentina 2 matches ahead.

Argentina is extremely strong and now my clear favorite, if they could pass Germany ...

Also to watch Italy -lets see if play so strong again tonight- and Brazil, who havent really been challenged yet as to do that, one needs to score ahead which the Croats didnt manage.

England, Spain, Portugal, Czech have so far played well but worse than expected, something seems missing there ...

Exciting games ahead ...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Forget the KO round. Ghana 2-0 Czech ?!

Group E is full of suprises.

US 1-1 Italy?!

That's the best US performance ever.

Will group E be the only group where nobody has clinched OR been eliminated after two games? It's still a 4 team field with nobody safe.

I thought the US played VERY well (for the US) and showed some of where the early high expectations came from.

That was the first time the US has gotten any points on European world cup soil. And the first time they got a point against the Big 5 of Italy, England, Germany, Spain and France.

Someday we might even win a game. And all of America will cheer.... because something happened in the basketball game they were all watching. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: