Forums > Social Discussion > Nightmares - can they be stopped.

Login/Join to Participate

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Right without giving away too much, I was wondering if anyone could help me with advise for stopping nightmares?
I am sure they are anxienty based but they anxiety CANNOT be removed it is impossible (trust me but don't ask)
Does anyone know any free methods?
can you get hypnotherapy on the NHS and does it work?
this would mean a LOT if people could help because the nightmares are ruining a very special life, I've done a search but thee seems to be nothing specific to nightmare reduction... hug

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i know a great way to learn to stop nightmares, that i use myself. Unfortunately it can take several years to learn: lucid dreaming. I reality check in waking life whenever something bad happens. A lot of the time in dreams if anything majorly bad happens I end up reality checking and can choose to either wake up, or change the dream. It's good stuff smile

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
With nightmares the causes are all intensely personal so there is no standardised cure. Hypotherapy may help but the entire field is rather dubius and could make things worse. I'd be very surprised if it were available on the NHS.

Best thing to do at present would be to talk it over with a very good friend if that's possible. Feel free to PM me if you need someone away from your personal situation. HoPers should look out for each other.

hug's in the meanthime.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I was having a [Old link] about my illness (so similar in the fact that its something that cannot be changed or controlled)

I had the the advantage of having been interested in lucid dreaming a few years ago (I spent about a year working on it) so it was easier to get into this time. After a few weeks I managed to slowly control the dream until the horror of it was no more and I never had the dream again.

I have huge problems with nightmares and I have them all the time. I have managed to conquer all the reoccuring ones with lucid dreaming so I would really recommend it as a solution.

Unfortunately I cannot offer any instant or short term way of helping, sorry.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
If you find something let me know, I've discovered a pattern in when i have most of mine so I can just wake myself up before them now- but it means about 5 hours of sleep a night most of the time. And its not 100% (but its much nicer!). Are they alwas in the same part of the night or sleep cycle? If so, that might help as well.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your info... the nightmares are not mine so I don't feel I can discuss them. (I'mthe close friend, if you like) we've talked them over loads but that doesn't seem to help. (I feel it may just re-enforce them)
Have some liturature on controlling dreams (mental rehearsal and scenario changing) that I think may be similar to this "lucid dreaming" I only hope it can help as a year will lead to a change in anxieties.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
lucid dreaming is basically where you can control the dream - tis good fun in nice dreams ubbangel

when i used to get nightmares etc i found that once id woke up a good way to get by it (especailyl the fear of going abck to sleep)

would be to visulise my head with a hole at the top and bottom in the bottom i draw lots of ice images then i push out the top all teh bad stuff - sounds silly but i found it worked very well smile

back

siren1987newbie
22 posts

Posted:
i had anxiety problems and i went to see a psychologist to help me out. i was just thinking that if the anxiety can be reduced (not removed) it may help the nightmares. i tried yoga and deep breathing, it really helped. if your friendis really relaxed and calm before bed in may help reduce the intensity of the nightmares.
hug hope this helps

ummm.... i'll edit this when i think of something witty to say

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Yep, I also feel that attaining a little self hypnosis (meditation) can help with anxiety. I, personally do not suffer from nightmares, as I sleep too deeply, and sometimes if I do have one, and I wake up, I want to get back into it so I can kick the sh!t out of whatever's in the dream... I'll usually try to take a tank back in with me... And i'm not trying to be funny either... Its an offshoot of lucid dreaming...

But yeah, some lavender, or other good smells, clean bed, shower/bath before bed, other calming techniques can help a lot.

hug

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

matty390GOLD Member
71 posts

Posted:
Dreamcatchers!!!!! biggrin
works for me

matt

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Learn to lucid dream. Then you can turn your dream monster into a pink bunny rabbit (unless that's your phobia).

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
thanks everyone but my reason for this thread has now come to a conclusion, thanks for all your great advice