PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So there is alot of media now about how much and how long it will take to rebuild the Gulf Coast.
Parts of Mississippi don't even exsist anymore.

I have friends who are up here who are trying to figure out what to do next.

In Baton Rouge the property values have skyrocketed because businesses and people are snatching up everything available for sale, and truthfully, the land-owners who are selling are taking full advantage of this and raping purchasers because they know they have a hot commodity now.

And I have been thinking about what I would do.
Obviously I'd have to start over somewhere, but would I want to rebuild someplace that already exsists or someplace that will be struggling for a looooooong while to get back on it's feet?

Would you rebuild or relocated do you think?

I'm a gypsy anyway so I think I'd relocate.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
It depends on your personal attachment to a place; if your family have lived and died in the same town for generations, where you have a large extended family and loads of support I don't think people would really want to go, on the other hand, if you've moved someplace for a job and that was really the only thing keeping you there I guess you'd look for pastures new.

I'd relocate, probably to someplace nice and stable like Iowa.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Well, personally, if I had previously lived there, I don't think I could stand to live there again after such devastation. They will rebuild, that I'm pretty sure of, but of course it'll take time. The only problem is, will they rebuild the levees or whatever like before? or come up with something new to stop this happening again?

I did basic geography when I was a little younger and I only know that if you're on a flood plain or something, it's gonna flood, but to be lower than the level of water...I'd have more than second thoughts about rebuilding there again, because who knows when the next natural disaster could come along? The climate is changing so quickly that it becomes unpredictable and hurricanes like this could become more frequent...

A little off-topic but if it was me who lived there, I wouldn't rebuild because of the unstable future and painful memories...IF it were me that is...it's only my opinion but since I didn't live there, I can't say either is right or wrong.

It's better to burn out than to fade away

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
*definately* relocate! It's below sea level, so it'll cost billions to pump all the water out, and that's on top of the cost of rebuilding the majority of the structures and restoring the rest. It will just cost less to make a new city. I understand the location might have sentimental value, and you can't put a price on that, but if it could would it really be that much?

Of course, the biggest problem is what to call it. It can't very well be New New Orleans, that just sounds dumb. :P

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Written by: sparkey!

It can't very well be New New Orleans, that just sounds dumb.

Neo New Orleans? tongue

It's better to burn out than to fade away

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...

My view on this, and probably not a good one that's probably gonna be hated, but:

No. I wouldn't rebuild.

It's kinda like evolution, nature's way, whatever you wanna call it. Nature made a lake there, maybe nature wants there to be a lake there...

shrug

To rebuild would be to change the natural order of things, IMO.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
im with the relocate group

even if it wouldnt be hard to rebuild you wouldnt be able to get rid of the memories - i wouldnt really want that

id start afresh and somewhere on high ground

back

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
its a hard one. if you dont rebuild, what do you do? build a whole another city? just call it quits and everyone finds new lives in other cities?
potential for dissiaster doesnt seem to be a big deterant for rebuilding. look at the San Fran earthquake. here in NZ we had a town leveled too, but napier was rebuilt. the memories would be hard to shake, but their will be so many good ones too.
i think they will rebuild and still call it New Orleans. once it was rebuilt, the sense of community would be huge. theres almost as effective as shard suffering to bring people together.

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Neorleans

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:

Of course, the biggest problem is what to call it.

Atlantis. umm

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Hmm... prometheus has a point. But a scary one in many ways!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:

Of course, the biggest problem is what to call it.

Bob (some of it can still be seen over the top of the water wink )

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MurfdaSmurfmember
59 posts

Posted:
Has anyone thought that if global warming is really happening (I think it is) that sea level might become even higher. That more will be under sea level then. I think it should be left to the fish and gators. Maybe build a memorial platform like at Pearl Harbor? I think it is just stupid to build a city below sea level next to the sea. It is asking for trouble. It is even more stupid to rebuild it and wait for the same thing to happen again. Ok diclaimer here, this is just my opinion. I also don't understand people who live on fault lines or in the way of a volcano. Sure it might not happen right away, but it will happen. I repeat IT WILL HAPPEN!!! 100% gurentee! When, well who knows. So to end with where I started, if global warming is raising the ocean level trying to rebuild is a very bad idea. It is another tragady waiting to happen Live and Learn folks, don't repeat the same mistakes.

I thought I waz just dreammin'?!!??!!??!! Dis place can't really be real.

ZeeBooBRONZE Member
167 posts

Posted:
If they rebuild elsewhere they could turn New Orleans into a theme park!
Something along the lines of West world. umm

Just because I'm an adult doesn't make me responsible.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
If we don't rebuild, then God wins.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I wouldnt be able to rebuild if I was oveer there. I wouldnt be able to walk down the streets anymore without seeing the devosaion in the back of my mind, looking at all the places and thinking of how only X number of mionths/years ago people were lyeing dead in there houses and amounst the rubal.

I would move as far away as I could to avoid sky rocketing prices, and of course to avoid any future disasters in the area. I would want to move somewhere new and set up my own roots in a new place, after all change is sometimes good, fresh start and all, sorta like a spring clean for the soul.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MurfdaSmurfmember
59 posts

Posted:
A bunch of people just moved up here to Eugene Oregon. They did ity on there own. Not waiting for the government taxi service. They were quoted as saying pretty much the same as you just said Joe. They wanted to get as far away as possable and start over.

That theme park idea is scary. Scary cuz I see Americans stupid enough to do it. I feel profiting off of the tragady is not so good. Speaking of man there are a lot of scams out now. 80% of the "charities" are not even from the US but claim to be. Wow. That was according to ABC news on the radio last night.

I thought I waz just dreammin'?!!??!!??!! Dis place can't really be real.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
It kind of reminds me of a few stand-ups I've seen on Comedy Central. A few points:

If you live in tornado alley, and your house is destroyed every year, why not move? It's telling you exactly where it's comin...

If your home is flooded by annual river flooding, why rebuild? It's called a flood plain for a reason. Move!

I understand that many people lost a lot of things. I understand that moving may seem a daunting task, though I think having nothing to start with would be a decent incentive. I feel very sorry for these people. But lets say you lived in New Orleans... your city is below sea level... and your right next to the sea. Doesn't seem like too big a logical leap to me that you might not want to live there, if for no other reason, because recent events have shown what might happen.

I would move. It just seems like a bad plan for the future to rebuild something that in all liklihood is one semi-likely natural disaster away from being wiped out over and over.

My friend's aunt had a restaraunt in New Orleans, and lost everything. She has decided to move, and I think she made the right choice.