Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Serious question about protection.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Calvnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Don't laugh but i'm sure i'm about to ask a question that a lot of guys here will relate to.

I've only just been introduced to poi and as i want my little girls to learn as much as they can, i want to be one step ahead if i can so i can teach them the moves. As a result i have found myself in my lounge at night practising the basics. I have only been using a basic set of poi with tennis balls on the end, the thing is, i hit myself in the spuds during a full speed swing last night and i was led on the floor incapacitated for about 5 minutes! I did the same the other night in Bournemouth when i tried them for the first time. It's when i'm trying to get the weave right, i'm a bit cackhanded and i keep hitting myself where i really don't need to be hitting myself.
I finished the remainder of the session with a small cushion stuffed down the front of my shorts for protection, however as you can imagine i'd look pretty stupid out in public like this!

Oh yeah......smashed my lounge lightbulb too! wink

Any advice?, or is it case of just getting better at the techniques?

Thanks,

Calv.

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
Do you have a cricketer's box, CloudChaser? If so use it when you're practicing. I've stopped needig one with my sock poi but have broken it out again for my tails, if not you could get one or just find something sturdy to put down the front of your trousers. Now I think of it a pair of socks would be alright armour too. Bathers or an extra pair of undies help hold the box in place, too, as someone helpful and nice on this site told me once. smile

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Ok, so i'm a girl and may not fully understand this dilemma, but after smacking myself in the tits once too many, i came up with the ingenious idea of slashing the tennis balls. They don't have to be hard! if you slash biggish holes in them, the weight is exactly the same, but they have more give. Amazing how many people i see beating themselves up with fully inflated grand-slam quality tennis balls.

Just a thought.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
when i was learning i used an ash tray in my pants

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Written by: Helen_of_poi

Ok, so i'm a girl and may not fully understand this dilemma, but after smacking myself in the tits once too many, i came up with the ingenious idea of slashing the tennis balls. They don't have to be hard! if you slash biggish holes in them, the weight is exactly the same, but they have more give. Amazing how many people i see beating themselves up with fully inflated grand-slam quality tennis balls.

Just a thought.

Slashed or not, soft and squishy or not, hitting the boys is gonna hurt... As has been said before, learn control.. and until you have that, learn to dodge.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Besides, if you perfect your dodge technique while scantily clad, you can fit yourself right into the "spinning like a whore" thread.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Elemental666GOLD Member
45 posts

Posted:
heh, w00t! ubbloco

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
When I learnt to spin I taped 3 dead glosticks together for each poi. When I figured out I could use tennis balls I thought they were the greatest thing in the world. Glosticks have sharp edges.
Then my best friend learned on beaming poi. OUCH!

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
practice, after a while you get a sixth sense to move you nadgers out of the way before they collide, its useful

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
I hadn't for weeks, then gave myself the great great granduncle of all nadgerings in a fast three beat weave yesterday. Frozen peas are good things to sti around with. frown

Why the hell is it always the right one?

Chucks nuns

CloudChaser071newbie
3 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mint Sauce

when i was learning i used an ash tray in my pants

ubblol ubblol ubblolLMAO!!! I don't think I can support that.. My pants are loose as it is and I'm skinner than mostly all the girls at my school. I gotta wear a belt. But I guess that works.. It's small and durable.. Except if you're performing out in public and butterfly goes rogue, there'll be a clicking noise lol

643 posts

Posted:
I hope it's not a glass ash tray though, shards in your trousers would be a very bad thing.

Chucks nuns

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Hey I learned with bags of gravel! Needless to say I learned quickly. Also needess to say is that it was endlessly entertaining for my friends to sit and watch me curled in agony on the floor ubbrollsmilewhile laughing their heads off. Cant blame them though, I would do the same thing in their situation. Havent had a bad encounter with the twins for a while now though... not that im complaining Yeh I would also say spin slowly, baggy pants can help a little as well coz they tend to absorb most of the impact, though then your poi also tend to catch on them alot.

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
Ugh i thought i was past the hittin myself in the nadds.. but NOOO! i just whacked myself so hard with a pair of glow sticks that i was on the verge of cryin/laughing outa the irony if it all. oh god.. that's [censored] painfull!

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
Ugh i thought i was past the hittin myself in the nadds.. but NOOO! i just whacked myself so hard with a pair of glow sticks that i was on the verge of cryin/laughing outa the irony if it all. oh god.. that's freakin painfull!

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

Page: