Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Serious question about protection.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Calvnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Don't laugh but i'm sure i'm about to ask a question that a lot of guys here will relate to.

I've only just been introduced to poi and as i want my little girls to learn as much as they can, i want to be one step ahead if i can so i can teach them the moves. As a result i have found myself in my lounge at night practising the basics. I have only been using a basic set of poi with tennis balls on the end, the thing is, i hit myself in the spuds during a full speed swing last night and i was led on the floor incapacitated for about 5 minutes! I did the same the other night in Bournemouth when i tried them for the first time. It's when i'm trying to get the weave right, i'm a bit cackhanded and i keep hitting myself where i really don't need to be hitting myself.
I finished the remainder of the session with a small cushion stuffed down the front of my shorts for protection, however as you can imagine i'd look pretty stupid out in public like this!

Oh yeah......smashed my lounge lightbulb too! wink

Any advice?, or is it case of just getting better at the techniques?

Thanks,

Calv.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Ah yes, the lightbulb smashing is always a big hit at the parties..

One thing I've noticed about tennis balls is that they are not all that forgiving when they end up smakin ya. You might want to try out some sock poi (either socks or maybe nylons) with some beans in them. This gives nice dispersion of impact and hurts less (generally), tho a shot to the nads can still floor ya. If you are going to go w/out protection (I figure a sports cup would be the most appropriate thing), then take the swings slow, as slow as you can w/out gravity killing the swing. This will help you improve accuracy as well as giving you time to react if the poi head in the wrong direction. Generally, if you're not going too fast, a quick swivle of the hips will avoid disaster.

- Suibom

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Spin slower and use something softer than tennis balls.
Juggling bean bags smile.

Or learn quickly smile

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
My poi are a set of long socks with a couple of pairs of smaller socks balled up inside to make the heads. I've yet to hurt myself spinning them no matter where I hit myself wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
a box!!

now england won the ashes, the aussies will be selling them off cheap!! lol..

or as glass said, spin slower!

or get a very small child to stand infront of you, just at the right height!

passing through, this world still lives.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
I'm suing Glass for plagerism.. er.. nevermind :P

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Im sorry but . . .

ubblol ubblol ubblol

Maybe use longer or shorter poi so you hit your legs or face instead. And if that sounds weird to any girls, i would rather be hit by a beaming ball in the face than in the other place.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I'd say take it like a man, but you're not a man, so I'll just shut up...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
i'm with glass...
learn fast.

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
I've developed a freaky sixth sense to just let go of my poi when it's about to hit home...maybe it's because I've hit myself so much in the crotch that I can just see the path the poi are taking so I release at the right time and the poi just hit the ground *phew*

biggrin Keep practicing and just bear it. The quicker you get comfortable with weaves etc you'll rarely K.O. yourself tongue

It's better to burn out than to fade away

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Oh, all you poor poor guys *hugs*

Use some sock poi. Your noggin will thank you, too.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

Calvnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

I'd say take it like a man, but you're not a man, so I'll just shut up...

I sat here yesterday wondering what was meant by this post lol, then whilst i was updating my profile yesterday i noticed i had'nt changed my gender to male! redface So for anyone thinking i was a lady boy due to me being a female talking about being hit in the spuds.....i assure you i'm a far from being a girl lol!:D

Calv.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Calv

So for anyone thinking i was a lady boy due to me being a female talking about being hit in the spuds.....i assure you i'm a far from being a girl.
Calv.

So... she's not a boy, lady, or girl. But is a female with spuds.

That's what I've concluded so far.

Is this a riddle? Oh, I love these... Are you a potato?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, I used to used an egg box top to protect me when learning the five beat (now that was some time ago!)

however, just persevere, as someone else said, you develope a sixth sence, and after hitting the good-ol-boys about 50 times you never seem to hit them again strangly.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Yes thats just what I would say, Ive hit myself full on 3 or 4 times in the spuds, and even with my tail poi (tenis balls inside) it still hurts like hell, I allmost threw up one time I did it.

You do develop a sixth sense, I find now im hitting my pelvis instead of my crotch, I can feel when the balls loose controll and a slight turn left or right and I miss the important things.

It dosent take long either, so I think 50 times is an exaguration, about 7 times was enough for me, your jedi powers will surface soon enough

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:

assure you i'm a far from being a girl lol!:D

ubblol

Ooooops redface

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Calvnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

So for anyone thinking i was a lady boy due to me being a female talking about being hit in the spuds.....i assure you i'm a far from being a girl.
Calv.

So... she's not a boy, lady, or girl. But is a female with spuds.

That's what I've concluded so far.

Is this a riddle? Oh, I love these... Are you a potato?

Sorry ubblol.......ok for the record......i am a man!!! biggrin

Calv.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
That would have been my third guess.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
try spinning a bit slower - you'll get more control, and at the same time it hurts less if you hit yourself!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

You do develop a sixth sense, I find now im hitting my pelvis instead of my crotch, I can feel when the balls loose controll and a slight turn left or right and I miss the important things.

Haha XD losin controll of your balls.. ugh ima child.. ANYWAY!! the best way i've found (with help from friends) is just give your poi enuf force to arch and then let gravity do the rest.. you can also last a while doing it that way.. i can last about a full hour or more then. *child mind changes that around too*

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Written by: L0s3r_r@v3r

just give your poi enuf force to arch and then let gravity do the rest..

In a short, two-word phrase as many people have suggested already:

'Spin slower' tongue

It's better to burn out than to fade away

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
If you learn to dodge the poi than it looks like you're dancin! bounce

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

CloudChaser071newbie
3 posts

Posted:
LMAO!! U don't know how much I'm laughing right now. But I really shouldn't be because right now I got a cup on and I'm taking a break because the cup hurts worse than actually getting hit in the groin by the sticks.

For me, I made my own. Dunno how to explain it though... But what I do now is I take wider swings. I use my whole arm to make it and then once I progress I'll get it shorter and faster.

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Ahh, the art is to be able to spin slowly, and keep it all under control. Slow spins are the way to go, a) they look better, b) they hurt less.

*tailwags* I've gone from raver glowsticky "spin uber fast" to almost stalling on the upswing. And it looks so much better (I reckon)

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Elemental666GOLD Member
45 posts

Posted:
heh, I got out the shower last night and started spinning my practice poi before I made it to my closet (that would make me completely starkers). Anyhow was playing with some butterfly variations and my boys caught both poi at medium speed... A few minutes later I nailed the move.

Pain is such a great teacher...

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
eek Oooowwwwww...it canes enough through jeans when the butterflies decide to go rouge but with notting but the air between the ends-#Winces and grimaces#
I've latley started nadgering myself again cos I just got some tails from juggleart and they get caught on eachother. Actually, do anyone else's tails sometimes clap in Butterfly?

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
Written by: Seb

eek Oooowwwwww...it canes enough through jeans when the butterflies decide to go rouge but with notting but the air between the ends-#Winces and grimaces#
I've latley started nadgering myself again cos I just got some tails from juggleart and they get caught on eachother. Actually, do anyone else's tails sometimes clap in Butterfly?

i'm actually better with tails.. *shurg* they clap.. and rarely get tangled lately i've been usein my glow sticks ubblove ubblove so pretty!

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

CloudChaser071newbie
3 posts

Posted:
Man.. I'm gona loose bladder control soon. I did it at slow speed and then I went really fast and then like what Seb said, the butterfly went rogue and now I'm in pain while typing this x.x Any suggetions now?

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by: CloudChaser071

Man.. I'm gona loose bladder control soon. I did it at slow speed and then I went really fast and then like what Seb said, the butterfly went rogue and now I'm in pain while typing this x.x Any suggetions now?

Curl up into a little ball and whimper until the pain subsides?

Well, that's what I usually do anyway.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
You should know what you are doing. Control & discipline.

POI THEO(R)IST

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by: Richee

You should know what you are doing. Control & discipline.

c'mon.. how often does that apply to newbies delving self-taught into any art? That's where they need to get, not where they need to be.

Page: