Page:
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
So, Orbit was all like: "was some of the best spinning I'v ever seen. (and yes I've seen uk spinners)" in da BM thread.

And I was like: meditate

Obviously, this only applies to poi spinning, cos lets face it, america is crap at staff. wink

It just made me think of a couple of things like:

Poi doesn't have a well defined weird technical cousin, like we do. (Baton Twirlers) They can use martial art influences, but not as directly as we can. (At least I haven't heard of any actual poi based martial weapons, though rope-dart, and nunchucks can be both be applied somewhat.)

Secondly, unlike in poi land, we don't have annoying beacons of ancient technical mastery like Arashi. Thank the lord. Kyle Maclean is the closest thing we have. (And why can't he hurry up with that?)

But like uk poi land, we do have a continent of technical rivals: not america, but Australia. Unfortunately Australia seems to be populated with out of plane doubles spinning girlies doing girly australian doubles, and not advancing the technical envelope. Or at least, this is the analogy to uk-poi-land. Where we are haveily influenced and in fact part of the juggling (OMG quick change that to Object Manipulation!) scene, over in australia, they've realised that juggling is geeky and have gone for the dancing side. (Apart from ben-ja-men who have just closed his eyes to the world and decided to pose.) Or at least this is how i think it is like over in australia.

Was there any point to this post, apart from offending everyone on hop? No. I don't think so.

I'm off to go and organise the welcoming in of winter.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
twirlers do it with rhythm.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
"arashi, you are the whitest person i ever saw, your eyebrows are even blonder than mine, good thing you got that cute ass to wiggle around...."

*throws off robe in a jerk-steve martin-esque manner*

"I AM A NIGGER!!!"

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
That there are so many styles and disciplines in twirlage is a reflection of the globalised nature of twirling (helped in no small way by HoP) and should be cherished.
There a need to rank things, especially when the basis of comparison is so... subjective.

...so there are twirling disciplines other than your own - you won't lose anything if you regard them with the same respect that you accord your own. (I could almost visualise the collective bristling of Australians reading the 'girly' comment, joke or not)

weavesmiley all twirling is beautiful, it just that this isn't recognised all the time. weavesmiley

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
You want Girly Australian Spinners!

We got some doozies...

Try this one! or even this one!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
wow. bender... there's a thought....

[censored], huh... tongue

and Nx?.... thanks for pointing it out... i know its true, but my steps away from fire (i havn't burned in almost three years now) have really alienated me from the culture, as a result i'm largely afraid to spin in front of people anymore unless its a move i don't know at all..... I enjoyed lighting up. but i don't always see the point, i'd rather just spin, and altho i'm sure i suck balls, i think i'd also rather just be free to mess around in a way i'm really not....

Missed you btw, you were one of the few people i saw contact videos from back in the day.... mind you i still suck at contact but it was nice to see something *different* from the staff i was used to...

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ta biggrin

wooo! its back,

and i did write a good post!

cool!

arashi! wiggle that honky thing! spank Bender says its good for you. Kyle says it looks good on camera. I just wanna see it. ubblol

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah, you wrote a kick ass post. Several funny bits and lots of good bits.

Arashi: No you cannot use me in your advertising, my hairs image is owned my a mop company.

What the australians don't realise when I say australian girly spinning is that the opposite : blokey british technical spinning is incredibly insulting also, but I just left it implicit, till now. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
*general hilarity*

i plan to standardize spinning with the oobashops.

wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
Will there be strictly regimetned decmialsed moves? will you finally come up with contact siteswap? will the world of spinning finally move into ubergeekdom of hithero unparlaled (or however you spell that) proportions? will a large carrot swoop down and devour the entire city of miami?

find out at your next uber event coming to a civic center near you

sorry it's late and I've been traveling all day

see you in a few days rob how's the building? biggrin hug
EDITED_BY: TheHIPS (1127860560)

Viva UGLY STAFF

Page: