Forums > Social Discussion > Rip off merchants - Adelaideans, mainly.

Login/Join to Participate

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Many of the underbridge regulars would know part of this, but i'm spreading word all the same.

On the way to spinning friday, I dropped my baby, which perforated the skin along the rim of the drum. It held together for a while, but eventually succumbed to the holes that were there. Exit one skin.

Saturday arvo, i went looking for a new skin. I'd been told about $35 was a good price to pay, so i went with this in mind. I rang a couple places, found one that sold goatskins, and went down, djembe in tow.

I ended up paying $50 for the skin, which seemed really patchy coloured (not sure if that's much of an issue, though a single colour would have been nice), and a bit thinner than my own. Got it home, and had a look at some sites detailing what to do. Turns out that the skin i'd bought has a couple of almost holes in it, almost like theres a hole most of the way through.

Anyhoo, moral of the story is this:

Don't buy stuff from John Reynolds Music City, on waymouth st. in the city. I might have just gotten a dud, and i was pretty naive, but a lot of the prices they were asking for stuff seemed really high. I'd want a djembe to play itself if it cost upward of 500 bucks...

Please, let me know if you've shopped there before, or since, and let me know if you've had similar experiences, or if i've just bought a lemon that they didn't know about.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

ArnwynSILVER Member
old hand
1,065 posts

Posted:
Hey MiG,
John Reynolds is where we bought the skin to reskin our Djembe, we paid $45 if my memory serves me right, we had no problems with it, but this may have had something to do with the fact my other half is six foot six and pretty intimidating looking - as u would know from CG.
But seriously, you should have taken the skin back and told them that it was not good enough, they will have to agree with you and will replace it, and if they dont, then i can offer our services and get a decent one for you.
Maybe they just thought that they could sweep this one by you....not good customer service tho have to say....

L&L
The Fairy God Mother
~*~

" i just now need some other unsuspecting suckers to say something... " ~Rouge Dragon

"that wink was a nice one not a im going to thrust at you wink" ~Brettstar

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
take it back take it back!

if they didin't know they will be sorry...if they did know then you should prove to them that their customer service is rubbish & they shouldn't assume people are stupid!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
was too late by the time i'd realised, really. And it's definitely too late now
*looks at skinned djembe* ubblol

I probably should have waited a while before i posted that, to see if the skin was any good or not on the drum.

In any case, it seems to be doing the job, so maybe it's not all that bad.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
if it is a dodgy one off, and if the do have integrity, i'm sure that they'd replace it if it's faulty. if their products are usually good quality, they might prefer to replace it then have word of mouth saying how bad they are. it's worth a try, even if you already have skinned it.