Forums > Social Chat > Hoorah, I didn't bomb.

Login/Join to Participate

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
First time I've done fire in about two weeks to the biggest crowd yet - part of a show at a bar.

Went as 'bout as baddly as I could have hoped. Dropped every catch, hit myself, tangled, even set my hair on fire.

You my be able to tell, I'm feeling desidedly -ked off about the whole thing. frown

To be fair I did a second set with someone else and that went much better, but the first one was a really kick in the teeth - I've been doing this too long to -k up that badly.

Crowds make me nervous, I screw up. Other than find a portable crowd that I can carry around and practice in front of, what am I surposed to do?

EDITED_BY: Domino (1126828697)

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Maybe before the next time do a warm up spin out of sight of the crowd. The first spin with fire always makes me a bit jumpy after time away from doing it. If you do that you'll only have the jumpiness of being infront of a crowd to deal with.

hug Don't beat yourself up too much hun. We all have off days. Next time I'm sure you'll wow them!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Sounds worse than my night in Morocco...

hug

Unlucky dude,we all get crappy nights smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
*hugs*

Ive seen you spin and I know that you have a wonderful style... what FRD said is true everyone has bad nights and the good thing is... your travelling.. your not going to bump into people who remeber the gig like you would if it was in your home town... dont stress sweetie hug hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
You will probably remember this gig for the longest and get the most giggles out of it as time goes on..

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
speaking only for myself, i am my own worst critic.
if you feel likewise, why not start the healing process with your/self and treat yourself with chocolate ice-cream... or if you're *really* indulgent, a vegemite sandwich!

thing is, if you can forgive yourself, it's a bit easier to see how lucky you are that those people ^^^ care for you!!!!**
yeard from now, you will cherish the memory of their kindness during this learning experience!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone, feeling much better (or I would be if I wasn't fantasticly hungover). I love this site, so many fantastic people.

And bender, that dancing dog-thing cracks me up, where's it from?

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
*gasp* I'm insulted!

How can you know know GIR!? smile

It's from a cartoon called Invader Zim.

And don't worry about your show, everyone has crap shows. It's all a learning experience!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
Invader Zim!!

I remember seeing that, I even sort of remember that GIR thing now

flamazinejourneyman
91 posts

Posted:
My advice is to increase the amount of banter in your show and decrease the amount of actual stunt/spinning/tricks. The best shows I've ever seen have been virtually all banter and not much action.

I did a show at Dave Courtney's house in London on Thursday and I was playing to hundreds of gangsters - real ones that have killed people. They were a hard crowd to please! But, afterwards I had loads of them saying how good they thought my show was. I don't actually do much that is difficult to do. What I do is loads of banter and much bigger fires than any one else I've seen.

Keep at it though, the next one will rock!

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Domino

Invader Zim!!

check this avatar out biggrin

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Domino

Invader Zim!!

maybe you'll like these........

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Its always the way - you master a trick then say to someone "Hey, check this out!" and you fall flat on your face ubblol

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
Did another couple of sets at the same place. Still not as smooths as I would have liked but I didn't screw up. Staying calm and getting in as much practice imediately before definately helped.

Yay, but I sill need to find a crowd I can practice fire in front of...

ubbrollsmile

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I could pretend to be a crowd for you. wink All I need to do is master being in multiple places at the same time.

ubbrollsmile

I am sure you do just fine.

(Y'know, when I first read the title of this thread I thought you had successfully picked up wink )

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I have a split personality you could practice in front of the 3 of me

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
Roz with your Wonderwoman speed you could give the impression of being in multiple places - I'm sure Superman does it in some or other film. And go check your PM ubblol

Split personality also works
ubbrollsmile

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
hug

I would just like to say to everyone here that a certain Mr Domino rocks. He should be more careful about requesting crowds to watch him perform, as he may be mobbed by hormone crazed individuals wanting to get a little closer. biggrin

BTW that may come across as though I am joking, but whilst I am teasing Mr D just a little bit, I am absolutely honest in saying that this is one special human being, and a very talented spinner. hug

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

DominoSILVER Member
757 posts

Posted:
thankx hug