jesusofsuburbiamember
27 posts

Posted:
ok i am new to this forum and have been spinning poi for a little under a month now but am advancing very fast and practicing everyday, i am learning with shoestrings and glowsticks pinched with my thumb. is this going to make it difficult to switch to the two fingered loop?
EDITED_BY: jesusofsuburbia (1126401056)

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
1 loop works better than 2 loops imo because you can make them hold onto your fingers instead of you holding onto them. That way you free up a load of flexibility in you fingers and that allows for very fine control over the poi.

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

jesusofsuburbiamember
27 posts

Posted:
should i try simply tying a loop in my strings and looping my middle finger?

jesusofsuburbiamember
27 posts

Posted:
right now i wrap my hands and pinch the strings with my thumb but when i open my hand to rotate it back they tend to tighten up or change lengths, also the swing is not centered on my hand so when i switch i fear my swing will be off

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
there isnt a drastic change between any handle type.. the reason being that most all the mostions spin that way because of the force exerted on them.. not anything your hand/wrist is doing.. your hand/wrist is really just the force that directs planechanges and what not.. and that is just by moving in a way that it for example perpendicular to the way thepoi are spinning..

the differences that occur are very minor and only come in with very technical stuff..

for example.. pinching it.. or using finger loops still gets wrist pivot and hand pivot.. the only real change comes in with handles which add a 3rd pivot.. whihc grants more freedom in your movement possibilities but direct control over the poi.. meaning you can put the poi pivot in more placesand angles.. but you dont control the poi swing via that pivot.. rather you use other pivots to move the path of the poi and let physics do the rest.. which means you dont 'feel' the poi as much..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
What a wonderful name for a thread.

Yes always. Perhaps

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

jesusofsuburbiamember
27 posts

Posted:
ok i understand now! i tried just letting the string come up between my middle and ring finger and it really doesnt change the motions. thank you

ps: is the third pivot point just the connector between the strap/ handle and body of the poi?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
no by handles I mean and actualy handle of some kind.. not handle in the generic sense of "where you hold the poi.. if you have a handle, it will be solid.. for instance some glowstringers have a set of sticks that they use for handles.. the end of the stick where the poi connects to the stick would be the third pivot.. unlike the connector of the strap handle.. the stick allows more freedom in where that pivot is placed..

I myself use half of a glowstick (about 3").. its small enough that the handle can sit in the palm of my hand and my fingers reach the other end of it. but long enough so that I can reach the pivot into places that I cant really fit the loops of my chains.,.

the extra reach comes at a cost though.. you dont feel the poi as much.. and you have very little (if any) direct control on the poi... think of it more like having a stick with something spinning on it.. and you move the stick in places so that spinning parts dont collide.. its like having a wand that puts the center of spin of the poi where you want.. and the poi will spin how about that point however physics deems fit.. it doesnt sound like much.. but oh how people complain.. so I stress that its not for everyone..

just play around. and find what you like best...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown