DeviantPenguinSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
Ok. So I've been spinning quite a while and have known all along that I have completely underused wraps. I have tried several times to use them, but wind up going back to my original style. It seems kind of like learning another language in a way.

I have done searches on this, and individual wraps are not really a problem, it's when I get both hands going in a combo at once, I lose track. What do you think is the easiest way to learn wraps? Also, do you tend to stick to combos you're familiar with when wrapping, or do you freestyle?

Thanks for your help all. ubbrollsmile

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I believe this is the thread you need. I found it by clicking on the search function at the top of the page, opposit my home, and typed in ''airwraps'' and searched in the poi moves section only, good luck!

[Old link]

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I think he means wraps as in "bouncing poi off random limbs".

The best way to learn is practice (obviously). Just try spinning one arm and bouncing your other poi on it. Then switch. From there, go to bounching off your legs, knees, neck, biceps, etc etc.

When you start off, try to keep the limbs 90 degrees to the plane of spin.

Hope that helps!

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
There's a thread on wraps around here somewhere, it has the word definitive in it try searching for it then printing it out, there's lots of good stuff in it.

Watch Kael's video, that should keep you occupied for months biggrin

7 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the threads, they for sure give me something to think about.

I recall seeing, and printing out, a thread called "the definitive wrap guide," I belive it was by Crazy Raver Dude. It was very helpful, and I can do most of the wraps in it by themselves, it's just when I start trying to link them together that I run into trouble. My plan as of now is to just work them repeatedly, working on spinning using nothing but wraps as much as possible until I start to get the flow. Thanks for you help, and any other suggestions are also appriciated. hug

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
you wanna learn to wrap? get some socks, and try to hit yourself with the string and see what happens biggrin

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Oh, you're at THAT stage,,,the stage where things get difficult,,the stage where you have to figure out how to get one hand doing one thing while the other hand does something different. I was wondering what you meant in your first post.

By loosing track, do you mean that after a series of wraps you "forget" if you're in weave or butterfly spinning? That happens to me too. and I usually just default to spinning at my sides while trying to figure it out. Many times I've thought NOW is the time to learn the butterfly weave instead of trying to go into the three beat with my poi spinning in opposite directions I call this instant flailing.

I just put together a small series of mini combos, and use those in my regular poi spinning but that's where I called it quits because I never intended to embrace the whole glowstringing style. I just wanted some of the elements.

Good luck

7 posts

Posted:
Yes, Stout, I'm at THAT stage. tongue I've been working a bit with socks with beanbags in 'em (they seem to work well for wrapping) and am focusing on transitions and building lil combos. And yes, I find it VERY helpful to be able to do a butterfly weave during this process, if for no other reason than it saves practice time to be able to pull out when things start running amok...

Thanks for all your help! biggrin

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i start by using wraps to change direction with or the spin of the poi

they're also beautiful in themselves - try doing continous butterfly TTN arm wraps but them move the wrap to legs or thighs or neck

just spin the poi and throw limbs in the way and see what happens biggrin

back